Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming computer / first build / roughly $1000

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 5, 2011 2:41:32 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: 6 - 8 weeks
Budget Range: $1300
System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies, downloading , burning i wanna be able to run everything
Preferred Website(s) for Parts: msy
Overclocking: Yes / Maybe
SLI or Crossfire: Yes /
Monitor Resolution: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200) dont know

this will be my first build i want it to be able to run the latest games, and any thing aelse i could ask of it and last me for a good few years

my questions are .. will these parts work together
is there anything i need to add or be better off with
any problems i may have with this build
thank you for all help provided
msy prices
Name: Coolermaster GX Power 750Watt PSU Power Supply Unit
Our Price: $115.00
Name: Antec 902 Nine-Hundred-Two Gaming Tower without PSU
Our Price: $115.00
Name: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3Ghz 1155pin Boxed CPU
Our Price: $219.00
Name: WD 3.5" Blue 1TB WD10EALX SATA3 32M 7200rpm HDD
Our Price: $59.00
Name: Samsung SATA 22x Black DVD RW - 1 Year Warranty
Our Price: $26.00
Name: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3RB3 P67 DDR3 Intel 1155pin Motherboard
Our Price: $164.00
Name: Patriot Gamer2 PGD38G1333ELK 8G Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 1333
Our Price: $90.00
Name: Gigabyte 2GB 6970 PCI-E VGA Card
Our Price: $355.00
Name: Microsoft MS Windows 7 Pro 64bit OEM
Our Price: $138.00



Anonymous
June 5, 2011 11:13:21 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Grumpy9117
June 6, 2011 12:40:36 AM

I'd pass on the Coolermaster PSU. Go with a solid Corsair or XFX unit (specifically the Black Editions).

I'd recommend the 6950 2GB instead of the 6970; it uses less power but still gets amazing performance at 1920x1080. You could add a second one later on an 850W power supply.

I'd recommend getting a HAF 922 (very large mid tower) or go for a full tower in the $139 range (HAF 932, NZXT Phantom, Silverstone Raven RV02). They have better cooling than the Antec 902.

There should be a G.Skill 8GB kit that is cheaper than that Patriot one. They are lifetime warrantied and really well known for their RAM.

Those prices seem a little high for the US. Where are you located/looking for parts?
Related resources
June 6, 2011 6:28:18 AM

i cant find a g skill 8gb ram kit they only do up to 6 and 12 that i can find
i looked on the shops website and t hey dont deal in any of those cases
im in australia so prices and stocks can be a pain
do you think i should try and buy off the internet instead , would it be cheaper

i was gonna go with the 6950 but it costs the same as the 6970 do you think i should still stick with the 6950 which i will have to go to another shop to get

im planning on in a few years maybe upgrading the psu and and game card but im not sure i fi even need such an expensive / powerful game card would it be cheaper to get something a little worse and then later just add another one of it to keep my computer going? but i just dont no or should i stick with the 6970 and buy another psu and another 6970 in a year or 2 or something

with the psu should i just save straight up for the 850 watts or should i worry about that later :S thank you for all the help yolu have provided :) 
Corsair TX-750 ATX Power Supply Unit $145

Corsair TX-850 ATX Power Supply Unit $178
June 6, 2011 6:31:25 AM

Coolermster RC-922M-KKNI HAF 922 NO PSU
Our Price: $128.00

was this one of the ones your talking about .... i think im starting to go past the money limit lol
June 6, 2011 1:57:30 PM

should i be trying to get things from the site tigerdirect ?

what brands should i be looking for ? in game cards and ram and psu and cases
June 6, 2011 2:06:45 PM

throw that CM psu its junk.get parts from newegg or ncix.com they r really cheap.
get a sapphire 6950 1gb only 2gb 6950 can be unlocked but cuts its life short to about 2years
June 6, 2011 4:47:02 PM

i dont really understand unlocking?

am i going to need a cpu which is unlocked or am i better off getting a new one i am confused
June 6, 2011 10:44:38 PM

icewyrm said:
i cant find a g skill 8gb ram kit they only do up to 6 and 12 that i can find
i looked on the shops website and t hey dont deal in any of those cases
im in australia so prices and stocks can be a pain
do you think i should try and buy off the internet instead , would it be cheaper

i was gonna go with the 6950 but it costs the same as the 6970 do you think i should still stick with the 6950 which i will have to go to another shop to get

im planning on in a few years maybe upgrading the psu and and game card but im not sure i fi even need such an expensive / powerful game card would it be cheaper to get something a little worse and then later just add another one of it to keep my computer going? but i just dont no or should i stick with the 6970 and buy another psu and another 6970 in a year or 2 or something

with the psu should i just save straight up for the 850 watts or should i worry about that later :S thank you for all the help yolu have provided :) 
Corsair TX-750 ATX Power Supply Unit $145

Corsair TX-850 ATX Power Supply Unit $178


Take a look online and see if you can get stuff cheaper. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.

If the 6970 is the same price as the 6950, hell, absolutely get the 6970. You shouldn't need another GPU for at least 3 years IMO. The 750W should support 1 6970 easily.

As for unlocking:

Unlocked CPU (denoted by the 'K' at the end of the model number) means that it has an unlocked multiplier which allows for much better and easier overclocking.

Unlocking the GPU (6950 2GB ONLY) is an exploit you can take advantage of due to the fact that the 6950 2GB is essentially a 6970 with locked shaders. You can unlock these shaders using a BIOS flash and get a pretty decent performance boost. However, the 6950 is already a great card and the difference may not be noticeable.
June 7, 2011 5:17:50 AM

the cpu i have chocsen is it locked or unlocked then? cuase looking online for the same one they cost like a $100 more

if i can get a cheaper graphic card the 6950 how would i go about unlocking it would i need to

750w psu is there really a big difference in the brands?



June 7, 2011 7:32:27 AM

ur cpu is unlocked..as I said dont unlock the 6950 it will cut short the life span of the card to about a meagre 2yrs or so and the perf gains are not incredibly better,though u can still OC it.the 750w should handle 2 6950 easily I have seen people with two power hungry 470s in sli on 650W's so u shud be fine.

so save money and get the 1gb 6950 which has the same perf as the 2gig version upto 1080p..
June 7, 2011 10:26:06 AM

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/sea...

will this part work well and is one of them 2gb would i be better off with that for the same price

any particular cases i should look out for? or anything particular about them and will all my stuff fit inside
so
all my parts are okay other then
game card
case
psu
ram?
June 7, 2011 11:57:34 AM

see d difference in price-->http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/sea...


as far as the case is concerned,u shud be fine but I recommend to get the sapphire 6950 1 gb only because its smaller in size and has gud temps for higher OC's..

other than that its fine
.............................:)  :D 
................................!!...
........................................E.......
.......................................................N..........
............................................................................J............
..................................................................................................O.............
.........................................................................................................................Y......
..................................................................................................................................!!...
June 7, 2011 12:20:19 PM

rohangupta said:

get a sapphire 6950 1gb only 2gb 6950 can be unlocked but cuts its life short to about 2years

Source please?
June 7, 2011 12:25:44 PM

rohangupta said:
I have seen people with two power hungry 470s in sli on 650W's


*raises hand*


Quote:
the cpu i have chocsen is it locked or unlocked then? cuase looking online for the same one they cost like a $100 more

if i can get a cheaper graphic card the 6950 how would i go about unlocking it would i need to

750w psu is there really a big difference in the brands?


The i5-2500K (unlocked) is only ~$20 more than the locked i5-2500. Are you sure you're not looking at the i5-2500K vs. the i7-2600K?

The PSU brands do make somewhat of a difference. Go with a solid Corsair 750TX/HX, Antec EA/TP 750W or the XFX Core 750W. They're all solid PSUs and one of them is bound to be a good price (they fluctuate).
June 7, 2011 2:37:05 PM

ok this is what i have ended up with any more suggestions im still considering buying all this off the net if it will cost less

Name: Antec EarthWatts EA-750Watt. PSU
Our Price: $127.00
Name: Antec 902 Nine-Hundred-Two Gaming Tower without PSU
Our Price: $115.00
Name: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3Ghz 1155pin Boxed CPU
Our Price: $219.00
Name: WD 3.5" Blue 1TB WD10EALX SATA3 32M 7200rpm HDD
Our Price: $59.00
Name: Samsung SATA 22x Black DVD RW - 1 Year Warranty
Our Price: $26.00
Name: Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3RB3 P67 DDR3 Intel 1155pin Motherboard
Our Price: $164.00
Name: Patriot Gamer2 PGD38G1333ELK 8G Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 1333
Our Price: $90.00
Name: Microsoft MS Windows 7 Pro 64bit OEM
Our Price: $138.00
Sapphire 100312-1GSR Radeon HD 6950 Video Card
- 1GB, GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.1 (x16)
, Dual DVI, HDMI, 2x Mini Display Port,
DirectX 11, Dual-Slot $250
June 7, 2011 6:23:48 PM

You'll have to check your local sites to compare prices, but *in general* online shopping is cheaper.

That rig looks good though.
June 8, 2011 7:30:08 AM

thank you all then for all your help :) 

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) 

June 8, 2011 9:02:56 AM

ataryens said:
Source please?

a)my frnd whose 6950 2gig started showing artifacts and then he reverted back to 6950 bios.

b)a youtube video in which there were hundreds of comments on this that made my suspicion on the card's quality vanish

yeah there are cards that do not get affected,but yes, in the long run it will hurt :(  :??: 
June 8, 2011 9:05:22 AM

@boiler:correct me if im wrong,but as far as I remeber,u used to have 2x470 on an antec earthwatts 650w psu (dont remeber the cpu)..am I correct?
June 8, 2011 9:45:56 AM

Yeah, I had those with an i7-930, which draws a bit more power than the i5-2500K.
June 10, 2011 3:28:10 PM

boiler1990 said:
Yeah, I had those with an i7-930, which draws a bit more power than the i5-2500K.

at what clocks is ur 2500k running on d 212+? :sarcastic:  :sarcastic: 
June 10, 2011 4:54:01 PM

I'm just running it stock; I haven't had the time yet to try OCing and running stress tests yet. I'm also getting parts over the next week for my LC system, so I'll probably try some OCing before and run it the same afterward to compare temps.
June 12, 2011 7:34:55 AM

boiler1990 said:
I'm just running it stock; I haven't had the time yet to try OCing and running stress tests yet. I'm also getting parts over the next week for my LC system, so I'll probably try some OCing before and run it the same afterward to compare temps.

oo.... :o  .cool.. :sol:  :sol: 
!