Sign in with
Your question

Serious latency issues (help please)

Last response: in Networking
August 27, 2010 12:40:44 AM

Ok here's the deal, I have Time Warner cable, I have 2 desktops wired through a Linksys E2000 router, before this I had a Netgear router. The issue that keeps occurring is after a certain amount of time, the latency goes from perfect to horrid, unless I reset the connection.

Now yes, I isolated the router and directly wired from the cable box and everything worked fine. But when I switch to any router from the box this problem is occurring after 20-30 minutes time making online gaming impossible. The problem shows on tracety, pingtest.net, games, everything. The bandwidth generally is still fine but the latency is nuts.

Of course I called Time Warner and they gave me the bs about nothing being wrong with their connection, but I have tried everything including 3 different routers with the problem remaining.

Has anyone encountered such an issue or can offer advice? I was told to open ports, but I am positive that isn't the issue at hand...

More about : latency issues

Anonymous
August 27, 2010 8:24:35 AM

Try playing with MTU setting in router -- default is 1500, try adjusting in steps of 10 (or 100 if no obvious change). The program TCPOptimizer is a popular choice for guidance -- it's free, but I'm not sure I quite understood results.
m
l
August 27, 2010 3:00:17 PM

If you don't have the issue when directly to the cable box, then Time Warner is right where the issue is not from them.

By how much do the ping times change?

It's an odd thing that you get with several routers. You are not running any bittorrent download/upload or anything in the background are you?
m
l
Related resources
November 4, 2010 6:26:58 PM

I have this problem, too. And I don't know how to isolate what's causing the problem. Specifically that I have latency problems after my router has been running for a little bit. If I reset the cable modem, everything comes back for a bit, but then returns.

I initially thought the problem was with my router since I could avoid the problem altogether if I connected my laptop directly to the modem. So I tried another router that I'd been using as an access point in another part of my house. It exhibited the same problem. So then I went and bought a brand new router from Best Buy, and I ended up with the exact same problem.

So, on the one hand, I think the problem is related to my router because I don't see it when I don't have a router in there. But on the other hand, could this same problem exhibit itself with 3 different routers?
m
l
August 31, 2011 7:46:57 PM

Im having the same issues please help
m
l
August 31, 2011 10:25:24 PM

Just a random question, but are the routers that keep having problems the same model or different? Are they in a well-ventilated area, or could they be overheating? Is it a Wireless router that possibly other people are connecting to and killing your bandwidth?

I would say maybe try to update the firmware on the router and see if that helps any.
m
l
September 1, 2011 9:06:24 PM

not a over heating problem
same problems if one computer is connected or 5
used 3 different routers same problem
used 2 different modems same problem
no update for firmware
m
l
November 29, 2011 12:21:23 PM

Im am having this same problem, and i have also trouble shooted everything that has to do with my home connecting including using 4 different routers. This also happens at my home and business (but worse at home)

i believe the problem comes from this IP address 10.213.64.1 i think its TWC's main hub in the wilmington area.

m
l
March 15, 2012 10:26:15 PM

This is all due to viruses and media that you are using to connect via router.

So kindly check it will rectify all issues.

Regards
Jitender Bansal

Boggled said:
Ok here's the deal, I have Time Warner cable, I have 2 desktops wired through a Linksys E2000 router, before this I had a Netgear router. The issue that keeps occurring is after a certain amount of time, the latency goes from perfect to horrid, unless I reset the connection.

Now yes, I isolated the router and directly wired from the cable box and everything worked fine. But when I switch to any router from the box this problem is occurring after 20-30 minutes time making online gaming impossible. The problem shows on tracety, pingtest.net, games, everything. The bandwidth generally is still fine but the latency is nuts.

Of course I called Time Warner and they gave me the bs about nothing being wrong with their connection, but I have tried everything including 3 different routers with the problem remaining.

Has anyone encountered such an issue or can offer advice? I was told to open ports, but I am positive that isn't the issue at hand...

m
l
!