Sign in with
Your question

Trying to pinpoint cause of graphical nightmare

Last response: in Motherboards
May 20, 2012 11:57:23 AM

Hey guys. My build is a few years old, this problem started popping up a few months ago till it got so bad it happens immediately on boot. It used to happen only once in a while, usually when I'd start something intensive, mainly games.

http://db.tt/yqtYHJMS

I've ruled out video card, or at least its happening on multiple video cards.Swapping my ram around worked once or twice, but now its every time I boot up. I'm thinking the mobo is toast but I really have no idea. I'm planning a new build this year, I miss PC gaming too much.I took about two years off by buying an Xbox, but i can't take it anymore with the release of Diablo 3 :(  So anyways basically I need some advice as to what could cause that image.Some specs..

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 Conroe 2.33GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor
Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) with EPP Profile Desktop Memory
EVGA 512-P3-N802-AR GeForce 8800GT Superclocked 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

As you can see, its time for new toys. But that's a few months out, and I'd really like to revive this rig till then, tired of the pc-less life, even this forum post is a pain on a tablet.
May 20, 2012 12:06:11 PM

Also I should add, this usually caused a complete lockup, but just came back to my PC and noticed it still running
http://db.tt/wHleYJqy
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 1:57:13 PM

Do you mean it happen on more video card on your mobo? Then there is faulty mobo with bad pcie slot.

Actually it happen when video card get damage. My two friend lost their video card with this problem.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 3:49:23 PM

Looks like a video card problem to me. What other cards have you tried?

What power supply do you have and how old is it?
m
l
May 20, 2012 4:28:17 PM

I've tried two other nvidia cards, happened on both of them too.

Psu is first thing I replaced when this started, corsair gs600.

Earlier today I stuck one stick of ram in, on a different bank, and the PC ran fine for several hours, I just added the second stick a few minutes ago and bam, the freeze up happened. On dual channel ram could this happen if I'm not pairing them right? First stick was in DDR bank 2, I added the second stick in bank 4 right before the crash.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 20, 2012 4:58:15 PM

Did you do a clean install of the drivers when trying the other cards?

Also have you tried 2 sticks in slot 1 and 3 instead of 2 and 4?
m
l
May 20, 2012 8:28:26 PM

Yes did clean install of the drivers. Sometimes the screen glitches out like in the pics right upon boot, during post and BIOS.

Slot 1 and 3 hard worse results than 2 and 4. I'm really wanting to blame the ram, but I'd hate to replace and it end up being a screwy pci-e port or the motherboard itself. It happens without fail anytime I start a game or any resource heavy program, which makes me think ram. But when i boot and the mobo's BIOS screen is glitched as well, I'm not so sure. Could faulty ram cause graphical glitches so early on boot?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2012 2:05:14 AM

If its doing it during the post screen it points to bad hardware, which component, well my guess would be motherboard. But if you could get a hold of some known working DDR2 ram to test with, it would be easier than just blindly replacing the motherboard.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2012 3:01:14 PM

brekke777 said:
Yes did clean install of the drivers. Sometimes the screen glitches out like in the pics right upon boot, during post and BIOS.

Slot 1 and 3 hard worse results than 2 and 4. I'm really wanting to blame the ram, but I'd hate to replace and it end up being a screwy pci-e port or the motherboard itself. It happens without fail anytime I start a game or any resource heavy program, which makes me think ram. But when i boot and the mobo's BIOS screen is glitched as well, I'm not so sure. Could faulty ram cause graphical glitches so early on boot?

This is a shot in the dark, but are you sure the bios has the ram set to the voltage listed on the dimm sticker? I've seen that cause re-booting, failure to load windows, freezing, bsod, etc. I've never seen it cause graphical glitches but It's worth a check.

Your ram has a lifetime warranty, you could send it in for replacement, may take a week or so. Crucial even let me send one stick at a time so my friend could still use her computer.
m
l
!