Sign in with
Your question

The final verdict (thus far) 6690 vs 590?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 25, 2011 1:32:06 AM

Hi,
Saw the report on here regarding the 590...did the author mention it was a better card because it was not as noisy?

Im running the 6990 (soon dual) and LOVE it. Yes its noisy, but I couldnt care less. Why is that even considered in a system?

I think the person did say at the end of his article that AMD wins the round again?

thanks for any feedback

More about : final verdict 6690 590

March 25, 2011 1:33:03 AM

I guess it also depends on the game..both cards apparently have their niche..but overall hp, 6990? I guess either way its a win win though
m
l
March 25, 2011 1:54:32 AM

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1140/pg1/point-of...
"This isn't about features... It's about finding the fastest gaming card in the latest games..."

"Looking specifically at the gaming performance in this review it is clear that there are significant benefits to be had from running the GTX 590 at its limit. When AMD sell their card it is running close to maximum and so overclocking doesn't add much. With the GTX 590 we saw the framerates jump significantly as we moved up around 100MHz on core and memory. The end result was a card which competes far better with the 6990 and in cases such as Crysis 2 and BulletStorm the GTX 590 is the faster of the two... Crysis 2 by a huge amount."

"Two things that we need to take into account here are that these were tests on the latest games, titles which are important now, rather than games that are unlikely to be played again. In addition to that the performance achieved with the overclock had minimal impact on the noise generated by the GTX 590. Even with the maximum overclock it was near silent and more importantly it was noticeably quieter than the 6990. In fact when we moved back from the 6990 to the GTX 590 in order to compete our testing it was a pleasant change to have the lower noise levels without a significant performance hit."

"So how does our experience with the overclock and new drivers affect our feelings on the value of the GTX 590? Earlier we stated that it was a card which felt a little overpriced, the performance was not quite there and driver issues in games such as Shogun 2 took the shine off the card a little. With the latest driver and running at the maximum performance when compared with the 6990 we are happy to report that the GTX 590 now feels a lot more like it is priced appropriately. We get exceptional performance, improved drivers, cooler operation than the competition, significantly quieter operation too... and of course all the benefits of surround gaming, 3D Vision, PhysX and CUDA."

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-590-dua...
"Nevertheless, in a comparison between GeForce GTX 590 versus Radeon HD 6990, Nvidia wins. And it wins because I can put a GeForce GTX 590 in my workstation, which doubles as my gaming machine, and not hear it. It’s quiet enough to use. And that’s a requisite.

m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 25, 2011 2:13:40 AM

This
"Nevertheless, in a comparison between GeForce GTX 590 versus Radeon HD 6990, Nvidia wins. And it wins because I can put a GeForce GTX 590 in my workstation, which doubles as my gaming machine, and not hear it. It’s quiet enough to use. And that’s a requisite"

Means nothing.. if thats your thing thats fine. Noise doesnt bother me.

I still think either card is a win win..but thats me. Either card is good card, but I guess benchmarks can change depending on how improved drivers become.

And isnt Crysis optimized for nivida? Far better? you make it seem as if the 6990 is pretty much done?!

just wondering.
m
l
March 25, 2011 2:21:41 AM

in the resolutions that matters

the difference should be even higher at your eyefinity resolution pnico.
m
l
March 25, 2011 2:21:44 AM

The most telling thing is that Nvidia already has an updated driver out, that seems to fix many of the compatibility issues. AMD is still stuck with the 11.4 Preview driver, glitches and all, for the past several weeks.
m
l
March 25, 2011 2:25:14 AM

pnico said:
This
"Nevertheless, in a comparison between GeForce GTX 590 versus Radeon HD 6990, Nvidia wins. And it wins because I can put a GeForce GTX 590 in my workstation, which doubles as my gaming machine, and not hear it. It’s quiet enough to use. And that’s a requisite"

Means nothing.. if thats your thing thats fine. Noise doesnt bother me.

I still think either card is a win win..but thats me. Either card is good card, but I guess benchmarks can change depending on how improved drivers become.

And isnt Crysis optimized for nivida? Far better? you make it seem as if the 6990 is pretty much done?!

just wondering.

By the way, that was a quote from the Tom's Hardware review, not a personal opinion. You're the only one who owns one of these things, so you are the one who get's to say whether you are satisfied or not.
m
l
!