Pentium D 805 getting too hot!!

Hi there,

I've got a Pentium D 805 and lately it's been running way too hot (55-61ºC at full load). I know these Pentium Ds can get very high but I'm starting to worry. I've tried improving the contact between the cooler and the cpu using thermal paste twice now and the temperature still won't fall. My case is open now and with a ventilator just outside it. I've managed to keep the temp in idle down to 42-49ºC but whenever I play a game it will rise up to 56-60°C.

I know I should get a better processor like a Core 2 Duo or better but in the meantime what can I do to lower the temperature without spending too much?

Thx in advance!
6 answers Last reply
More about pentium
  1. temps are fine
  2. Those temperature are just fine for the Intel® Pentium® D 805 and about the only thing that you could do to lower then is maybe use a good 3rd party HSF (heatsink/fan) for a low cost the Cooler Master hyper 212+ does support socket 775 but you really don't need it.

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team
  3. IntelEnthusiast said:
    Those temperature are just fine for the Intel® Pentium® D 805 and about the only thing that you could do to lower then is maybe use a good 3rd party HSF (heatsink/fan) for a low cost the Cooler Master hyper 212+ does support socket 775 but you really don't need it.

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team

What then would be a good temperature if I overclock my cpu to say 3.0Ghz? What would be the max temperature allowed?
  4. ^^ About 70C.

Pentium D's got HOT, VERY HOT. High temps are normal for those processors.
  5. gamerk316 said:
    ^^ About 70C.

Pentium D's got HOT, VERY HOT. High temps are normal for those processors.

+1

The Tcase for this processor was 64.1c so this processor would reach up to almost 80C before it would shut down. With a good temperature monitoring software like HWMonitor I would be shocked if you ever saw temps in the low 60s. http://ark.intel.com/products/27511/Intel-Pentium-D-Processor-805-(2M-Cache-2_66-GHz-533-MHz-FSB)

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team
  6. IntelEnthusiast said:
    +1

The Tcase for this processor was 64.1c so this processor would reach up to almost 80C before it would shut down. With a good temperature monitoring software like HWMonitor I would be shocked if you ever saw temps in the low 60s. http://ark.intel.com/products/27511/Intel-Pentium-D-Processor-805-(2M-Cache-2_66-GHz-533-MHz-FSB)

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team

So as a knowledgeable person would you say 70ºC would be a normal operating temp. if I overclocked my 805 up to 3.0Ghz? Would it be the max operating temp or just an average in this case?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Pentium Thermal Compound Temperature