Sign in with
Your question

Will a processor with video work on a motherboard that doesnt have video?

Last response: in CPUs
August 31, 2011 3:15:57 PM

I'm looking to build a system from the ground up. I haven't built one in over 10 years due to (excuse goes here) and now I'm looking at all the new processors and motherboards with and without video and overclocking settings, my question is, if I buy a processor with a video core, and a motherboard that does not have onboard video, will they still work together? or would I be better off grabbing a processor that doesn't have video?
August 31, 2011 5:48:12 PM

Well yes, you'd be better off getting a normal cpu and getting an external card IMHO. Especially if you want to do ANY gaming at a res higher then 720.

But, and I may be wrong, you need to have a motherboard that accepts that feature.
a c 188 à CPUs
a c 75 V Motherboard
August 31, 2011 6:00:54 PM

To put your question context, you select the Intel Core i5-2400 and an Asus P8P67 board (which doesn’t support the IGP)? Yes the processor is supported on that board but you would need to add in a dedicated video card in order to have graphics of any type. If want to overclock you need to use the P67 or Z68 chipset. If you want to overclock and use the IGP (Intergraded Graphics on Processor) you need to be using the Z68 chipset.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 31, 2011 9:54:30 PM

Complicating the issue, not even all Z68 MBs even have provisions for utilizing integrated video either... (one of Gigabyte's variants quickly comes to mind)
September 1, 2011 1:52:21 PM

Adding to my initial question, I haven't chosen a graphics card yet, that will come later (any ideas are welcome), but I'm trying to build a gaming machine for myself. So far I have been looking at the Intel Core i5-2500K processor (item # I69-2500K) along with motherboards ASUS Maximus IV Extreme Z (item # A455-3063) and Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3 (item # G452-0137). Both boards have Z68 chipset, and neither has on board video. Item # can be referenced through tigerdirect.
!