Safe Computer Temperatures

oxycontiin

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
Hi all,

Finally got my build up and running. Games are looking great. I was told by a TigerDirect employee (computer store guy for non-Canadians) that I cheaped out on the case. It's a diablotek evo I think. But he was arguing that I'd be getting dangerous temps from such a bad case. I thought I'd give it a try before replacing it, but since I put this machine together I've had it running for at least 14 hours a day for three days in a row and no matter what I threw at it the cpu never went over 33 degrees Celsius. The case temp was usually a few degrees higher, between 34 and 35. Btw, I've been using AI Suite, a small program that came with my asus mobo so I dont know how accurate it is.

My understanding was that computers could run up to like 80 or even 100 degrees sometimes. So I thought 30 degrees was pretty good. Now recently I moved it into its final position inside a little tv stand, which is extremely cramped, covers the two top fans, the two side vents, and part of the psu fan with only millimetres of space. So I figured that wasn't going to work, but I thought I'd give it a try today at least. Well I gamed the day away again and now the cpu rests between 38 and 39, with the whole system at 40 - 41.

Am I crazy or is that a reasonable temperature? I was told I'd have temp problems, but when I moved it off the table and into the tv stand I thought for sure that was too tight a fit and it would overheat. So what are some acceptable temps to expect from your computer? And does anyone know anything about the trustworthiness of AI Suite?

In case you think this matters, my build:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Ed. with Stock Fan
4gb of cheap ass ram i got for 25 bucks. Seems to work great though
Radeon HD 6870. I can feel this card running hot, but I think thats expected for video cards
ASUS M4A88TDV EVO
7200 rpm hdd
775w psu with 140mm fan
two top fans and one rear fan pushing out, all 120's
one front low 140mm fan pulling in