Missing CPU Pin AMD x4 955

Minre

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Hi everyone,

Question: My computer was having problems booting up (no post beeps) about 2 months ago. I sent the mobo for RMA but it came back ok. I had the PSU tested and it turned out that the PSU went bad. RMAed it and got a new one and installed it. Unfortunately for me I accidently bent some pins on my CPU in this whole process of trying to figure all this out. I was able to bend the pins back except for one, it broke off. I did some research and found out that some pins are just ground pins and to put it back in and see if it starts. I did all that and it started just fine, however it now randomly crashes with a blue screen and when I play games, it will randomly crash as well. I re-installed windows and I then memtested all the memory individually and they come out just fine, however when I have them all in, which comes out to 8G, it gives errors. I also tried putting a extra pin in the empty socket as well. So my question is this, even though my computers starts up just fine with a missing pin on my CPU, will the CPU still cause problems like this? I am getting to the point where I think I cant get this comp back to normal without buying a new CPU. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Solution
You are correct that some pins are ground but you didn't say if the broken pin is ground or a function pin. If it's a function pin I would replace it since there's no way to tell if/when it is needed. If it's a ground the CPU might work fine under all but heavy loads when it's drawing the max current which requires the max ground.

Minre

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
PSU is a OCZ 700w. I had this running with no problems for about a year and a half until the post beep problem, so I know it all works together.

They only thing about the RMA to AMD is will they let me even though I bent the pins/broke one? Wouldn't that make the warranty void?

The blue screens also just saying remove hardware, etc... typical blue screen of death.

beenthere

Distinguished
AMD isn't going to accept a CPU for warranty with a pin broken off...

It's difficult to say if the CPU missing pin an issue as there are many possibilities. I'd try Memtest86+ with all the DIMMs installed. You should not get errors with all the DIMMs in place.

Minre

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Well, I used a program called Memtest. I tested all memory individually and they came out fine. When I tested all of them together, thats when I get some errors. My thought is when there is more, the cpu has to work harder and thats when it gets messed up. Like I said before, all of these parts have worked together before just fine for over a year. Thanks for your thoughts and help btw.

ram1009

Distinguished
You are correct that some pins are ground but you didn't say if the broken pin is ground or a function pin. If it's a function pin I would replace it since there's no way to tell if/when it is needed. If it's a ground the CPU might work fine under all but heavy loads when it's drawing the max current which requires the max ground.

Solution

Minre

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006

Well, I have tried hard to find a diagram spec to find out what the pins use is for, but I have had no success, so I am not 100% sure if its a function pin or ground pin. I am just guessing because it booted up. According to what I read, if it was a function pin it should not boot at all. Know of any diagrams?

Your second answer about the ground pins and power makes sense to me. It just makes me suspicious that the CPU is what is causing all the problems.

mavroxur

Distinguished
contact AMD themselves, i believe its time for an RMA:
http://support.amd.com/us/contacts/Pages/global-technical-support.aspx

[EDIT]:
whats your current PSU and what do the blue screens say?

AMD won't warranty it. The pins can be replaced, though it takes specialty soldering equipment, and it's not cheap. If they're outer-edge pins, they're easy. If they're inner field pins, it's hard. Places on the web usually charge around $20 or so, and a fee per-pin after the inital fee.

Minre

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Update: It was the CPU. It worked just fine when I put it back in but when I started a game it would crash. So, I picked up a 1090t and installed it and it works fine. Thanks for all the help!