What is the best gtx 570 for the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple question, I am looking to purchase a gtx 570 that is hopefully easily overclock-able to near gtx 580 levels, (I'm not expecting to instantly have a 580) But I am abandoning crossfire for now because of the terrible minimum FPS I was experiencing with crossfire 6870s, I'm going to sell those and get a single 570.... I cannot justify paying 500 for a gpu to play at 1080p right now (the gtx 580). And Sli is not an option right now with my current mobo.... Please suggest your top pick of gtx 570?

personally right now I'm stuck on the ASUS direct CU triple slot one:: what do you think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121432&cm_re=gtx_570-_-14-121-432-_-Product

It seems like the 570 is either on par or better than a 6970 for the most part so that is why I am leaning towards the 570 right now as AMD has left a sour taste in my mouth after not coming through with what was advertised imo....

Solution
That Asus card is seriously a good one. The new DirectCU II cooler is much better than the original version. If you can handle the triple slot, I would recommend it.

The other card I would highly suggest would be the Gigabyte model, with a very quiet Windforce 3 cooler, high quality components, and a nice factory overclock.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125365

If you are looking for a good deal, then the PNY GTX 570 w/lifetime warranty for $305 after rebate is hard to beat. In the past, the reference coolers would have been considerably louder than custom cooling, but that is not the case with these new reference vapor chamber coolers and they vent heat outside the case. Oh, and you might like the fact...
That Asus card is seriously a good one. The new DirectCU II cooler is much better than the original version. If you can handle the triple slot, I would recommend it.

The other card I would highly suggest would be the Gigabyte model, with a very quiet Windforce 3 cooler, high quality components, and a nice factory overclock.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125365

If you are looking for a good deal, then the PNY GTX 570 w/lifetime warranty for $305 after rebate is hard to beat. In the past, the reference coolers would have been considerably louder than custom cooling, but that is not the case with these new reference vapor chamber coolers and they vent heat outside the case. Oh, and you might like the fact that PNY is an American company based in New York.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133370

Solution
thanks I will probably end up going with the ASUS but the PNY is a great deal as well, does this make sense to abandon 6870 crossfire for a top model gtx 570? Or is this a completely idiotic move in your opinion? I see there are clear benefits but, one thing I do know for sure crossfire works like crap when talking about minimum fps imo

I'm checking good old Techpowerup and Guru3d, and the 6870's in Crossfire are about 10% faster than a GTX 480. The GTX 570 is probably about 1-2% faster than a GTX 480. So the performance drop will be somthing like 8-10% I figure.

Okay, so the question is whether better minimum framerates, better drivers, and quieter operation are worth that drop in performance. And then the related question, is the GTX 570 able to perform adequately in the games you play, despite being a step down in performance?

So, last question, can you afford the cost of switching?

I'm going to say, in my opinion, that if you are unsatisfied with a product, then make the switch. Just ask ubercake how he feels about making the switch after having almost exactly the same complaints about the drivers for his old Crossfire setup. The GTX 570 is an excellent card and will easily meet your performance demands, while being just a little more convenient, easier to live with, and a more satisfying experience. Oh, and plus you can fire up the hardware PhysX in that game you've been curious to try out!

that definatley puts things in prespective and I agree with you on many levels, I can afford the move as I will be able to get somewhere around 300 or more for the 6870s and can throw in the extra cash needed, thanks for the input... ive been following Ubers problems as well and overall am just very turned off by crossfire and can't wait to switch, I'm thinking a 570 and a dedicated physx card might be fun. I see you are a 580 owner, what made you decide to spend the extra price premium for that? what resolution do you game at?

It's pretty funny actually. As recently as last June I was running a Pentium 4 with a 7800GS AGP video card (played Oblivion, UT3, and Fallout 3 pretty well!). When the opportunity came up to upgrade, I decided to go all out on the video card to see what I was missing, first with a GTX 480, then the GTX 580 when they came out.

I play at 1920x1080, and I'm having a fun time trying to discover all the maximum settings I can enable for each game. I found some games don't support Ambient Occlusion, some need VSync, but other than that, I go all out. BFBC2 at 100 FPS with all settings maxed out is just ridiculous.

Griimlaw

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

I've Crossfired 2 6870's in the past.. they are fast. give them that . but so is a gtx570, Besides . Radeon atleast with the affordable 6900 series ..doesnt have the eyecandy remember that.. i use a 41 inch hdtv.. the 570 does me great justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.