Homebuilt Computer - Not Working - Need Help

jediarron

Honorable
May 7, 2012
So I plugged the PSU in, turned it on, and pressed the case power. It didn't work.
I turned the PSU and mains off and on, replugged the front panel power front panel, it turned out the front panel power switch was the wrong way around. It worked temporarily. I bought it over to a monitor, tested for output. The CPU didn't turn on again. I removed the frontpanel and tried to short the motherboard (via a screwdriver going across the power switch) - it didn't turn on.

I am not in the process of unplugging and replugging everything.

Anyone got any advice, if that doesn't work?

Unplug the power button both times from the motherboard then take a paperclip and bend it into a U then put one end of the paperclip into a black wire and with the other end stick it in the cable that is the only one of its color on there. It will probably be purple.

If you do this right it should turn the PSU on. If you try them like this and they don't work, then its probably a dead PSU. If it does work it could very well be failing but not dead yet.

Anyway, see how that turns out. You don't have to worry about doing damage like this unless you have some good reason to believe you are going to damage it. If you are jamming the paper clip in there that would be one way to potentially mess it up. Just barely putting it in there is good enough.

You also don't have to worry about getting electrocuted. The one that works is a 5v wire which would need a huge number of amps before you would even feel it, more than the wire can provide. The other lines will not have power flowing through them at all.

jediarron

Honorable
May 7, 2012

All the components arrived 3 days ago. The PSU is not dead. When I left the electricity on, and didn't turn the switch off. And the switch was still on, on the PSU, I pulled the Power cord that plugs into the PSU, and I can hear the electricity inside, kind of a fizzing noise.

Dead can mean a lot of things. A PSU is comprised of very many parts and if even 1 is not working properly it can fail to power a PC properly.

Also, if I did what you did and just yanked out the power cord while the PSU was active, I would be worried that I personally broke it. It is not a best practice to do this sort of thing.

jediarron

Honorable
May 7, 2012

I had to check that the PSU was receiving electricity some how.

jediarron

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Corsair 650W TX V2 PSU
Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
Gigabyte 2GB GTX 670
Intel i7 3770k
Noctua NH-D14
Samsung SATA Optical Drive
Lexa S Case
1 TB 7200 SATA III WD HDD

THE UNKNOWN

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Have you pluged everything correctly ?

www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

Have you checked Noctua NH-D14 installed correctly ?

Have you check your PSU in another machine ?