will you pay $300 + tax for PSP ?

Last response: in Video Games
September 21, 2004 6:49:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

all indications right now are that PSP will cost $300 at launch in the
U.S. and equivalent to that in Japan (33,000 yen).

is that too much money for you?

the PSP has graphics capabilities that are roughly on par with PS2. In
some areas, PSP is weaker than PS2, but in many other areas, PSP is
better than PS2 in graphics because of the extra graphic functions PSP
has, plus the fact that PSP does not have to draw/display to as a
screen resolution that PS2 does.

PSP has almost as much RAM memory that PS2 has.

PSP: 36 MB total
32 MB external RAM + 4 MB eDRAM
PS2: 40 MB total
32 MB external RAM + 4 MB eDRAM + 2 MB audio RAM + 2 MB for I/O chip
(PS1 CPU)

PSP will obviously play games, music and movies thanks to it's UMD
universal media disc which can hold slightly more data than Gamecube's
mini DVDs.

PSP's 3D graphics capabilities are beyond those of Dreamcast in every
area that I know of. they rival Gamecube and PS2 in *some* areas,
although Gamecube and PS2 surpass PSP in some areas also.

overall, PSP is 2 orders of magnitude beyond the GBA in graphics, and
still far surpass the graphics of DS.

new PSP games are being revealed every hour, I cant even keep up with
all the announcements.

will you pay $300 for PSP?

I might, I might not. have not decided.

$300 is not the final locked price of PSP, but that's what Sony seems
to be indicating right now. there is plenty of time for Sony to gauge
reaction and change the price between now and release, which is now Q1
2005 at the soonest.

I hope Sony brings it down to $200. $300 is gonna be a tough sell.

More about : pay 300 tax psp

Anonymous
September 21, 2004 9:24:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

> all indications right now are that PSP will cost $300 at launch in the
> U.S. and equivalent to that in Japan (33,000 yen).
>
> is that too much money for you?

Frankly, $300 was too much for the PS2 and Xbox, and what you basically get
with the PSP is PS2 technology (slightly less) in a smaller format and 4 1/2
years later. What's more, my PS2 doesn't run out of batteries in 2 hours.
The PSP looks cool, and I think I'd choose it over the DS, but there's no
way I'm going to pay $300 for a handheld system.

The PSP will be successful, though, and it will be a good system. After
all, it has the PlayStation name on it.
--
//mike tyndall
C++ programmer and game designer (not professionally)

"Radeon350" <Radeon350@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> all indications right now are that PSP will cost $300 at launch in the
> U.S. and equivalent to that in Japan (33,000 yen).
>
> is that too much money for you?
>
> the PSP has graphics capabilities that are roughly on par with PS2. In
> some areas, PSP is weaker than PS2, but in many other areas, PSP is
> better than PS2 in graphics because of the extra graphic functions PSP
> has, plus the fact that PSP does not have to draw/display to as a
> screen resolution that PS2 does.
>
> PSP has almost as much RAM memory that PS2 has.
>
> PSP: 36 MB total
> 32 MB external RAM + 4 MB eDRAM
> PS2: 40 MB total
> 32 MB external RAM + 4 MB eDRAM + 2 MB audio RAM + 2 MB for I/O chip
> (PS1 CPU)
>

> PSP will obviously play games, music and movies thanks to it's UMD
> universal media disc which can hold slightly more data than Gamecube's
> mini DVDs.
>
> PSP's 3D graphics capabilities are beyond those of Dreamcast in every
> area that I know of. they rival Gamecube and PS2 in *some* areas,
> although Gamecube and PS2 surpass PSP in some areas also.
>
> overall, PSP is 2 orders of magnitude beyond the GBA in graphics, and
> still far surpass the graphics of DS.
>
> new PSP games are being revealed every hour, I cant even keep up with
> all the announcements.
>
> will you pay $300 for PSP?
>
> I might, I might not. have not decided.
>
> $300 is not the final locked price of PSP, but that's what Sony seems
> to be indicating right now. there is plenty of time for Sony to gauge
> reaction and change the price between now and release, which is now Q1
> 2005 at the soonest.
>
> I hope Sony brings it down to $200. $300 is gonna be a tough sell.

$300 is kind of steep but I'll bite. It is too expensive for me to get
another for my wife like I will with the DS but with all of the things that
it is rumored to have, I won't have a problem spending 3 bills.
September 21, 2004 10:13:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

<SNIP>

> will you pay $300 for PSP?
>
> I might, I might not. have not decided.
>
> $300 is not the final locked price of PSP, but that's what Sony seems
> to be indicating right now. there is plenty of time for Sony to gauge
> reaction and change the price between now and release, which is now Q1
> 2005 at the soonest.
>
> I hope Sony brings it down to $200. $300 is gonna be a tough sell.

I will pay what ever price Sony asks. Not because I'm a blinded Sony fanboy,
but because I want to see Nintendo fail and every way possible. Heck, if
Sony cant do it, I'd like to see Microsoft take a chance too. Nintendo has
been so laxed on the handheld business its unbelievable. I think people only
bought gameboys because there just wasn't a comparably priced alternative
with lots of games.

However, I cannot see Sony dropping a $300 brick for us gamers to try to
catch. But then again if it can support MP3 out of the box, I'll gladly pay
the $300. If it delivers as the all in wonder its being touted to be, it
will blow the doors off Nintendo. I'm willing to drop the 300 for it as it
stands now, although... I'd love to pay less, who wouldn't??

--Brenden
September 21, 2004 11:38:10 PM

"Mike Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<yLqdnbPg-5yzN83cRVn-jg@comcast.com>...
> > all indications right now are that PSP will cost $300 at launch in the
> > U.S. and equivalent to that in Japan (33,000 yen).
> >
> > is that too much money for you?
>
> Frankly, $300 was too much for the PS2 and Xbox, and what you basically get
> with the PSP is PS2 technology (slightly less) in a smaller format and 4 1/2
> years later. What's more, my PS2 doesn't run out of batteries in 2 hours.
> The PSP looks cool, and I think I'd choose it over the DS, but there's no
> way I'm going to pay $300 for a handheld system.
>
> The PSP will be successful, though, and it will be a good system. After
> all, it has the PlayStation name on it.

my reply to this is that 300 dollars is a lot.
but then i compare it to other peripherals on the market now, and if
the psp can do all of the things that i have heard that it can, then
that price is competative. apples iPod is around that price, i think,
and they , apple, said they don't care about adding any kind of video
support in the future. and the psp will have that, and more. as long
as it fits in my pocket, and can do all i've heard then i'm sold.
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 11:58:07 PM

Radeon350@yahoo.com (Radeon350) wrote in message news:<ab1f5a92.0409211349.3eeca1d4@posting.google.com>...
> all indications right now are that PSP will cost $300 at launch in the
> U.S. and equivalent to that in Japan (33,000 yen).
>
> is that too much money for you?

No, it's not too much considering it's a one time cost. There's no
way I'm going to pass it up. It looks so damn good, and the previews
I've seen look great for a handheld. Basically it is just a PS2 in a
very small package, but who cares, it's a huge step up from the GBA
SP. The only bad thing is that I hope Sony doesn't take the "3d only"
stance they're getting known for.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 5:42:23 AM

"Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Radeon350" <Radeon350@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> all indications right now are that PSP will cost $300 at launch in the
>> U.S. and equivalent to that in Japan (33,000 yen).
>>
>> is that too much money for you?
>>
>> the PSP has graphics capabilities that are roughly on par with PS2. In
>> some areas, PSP is weaker than PS2, but in many other areas, PSP is
>> better than PS2 in graphics because of the extra graphic functions PSP
>> has, plus the fact that PSP does not have to draw/display to as a
>> screen resolution that PS2 does.
>>
>> PSP has almost as much RAM memory that PS2 has.
>>
>> PSP: 36 MB total
>> 32 MB external RAM + 4 MB eDRAM
>> PS2: 40 MB total
>> 32 MB external RAM + 4 MB eDRAM + 2 MB audio RAM + 2 MB for I/O chip
>> (PS1 CPU)
>>

>> PSP will obviously play games, music and movies thanks to it's UMD
>> universal media disc which can hold slightly more data than Gamecube's
>> mini DVDs.
>>
>> PSP's 3D graphics capabilities are beyond those of Dreamcast in every
>> area that I know of. they rival Gamecube and PS2 in *some* areas,
>> although Gamecube and PS2 surpass PSP in some areas also.
>>
>> overall, PSP is 2 orders of magnitude beyond the GBA in graphics, and
>> still far surpass the graphics of DS.
>>
>> new PSP games are being revealed every hour, I cant even keep up with
>> all the announcements.
>>
>> will you pay $300 for PSP?
>>
>> I might, I might not. have not decided.
>>
>> $300 is not the final locked price of PSP, but that's what Sony seems
>> to be indicating right now. there is plenty of time for Sony to gauge
>> reaction and change the price between now and release, which is now Q1
>> 2005 at the soonest.
>>
>> I hope Sony brings it down to $200. $300 is gonna be a tough sell.
>
> $300 is kind of steep but I'll bite. It is too expensive for me to get
> another for my wife like I will with the DS but with all of the things
> that
> it is rumored to have, I won't have a problem spending 3 bills.

I think it all depends on the cost of the games. If they keep their
promises, as to having the games cost only half as much as the PS2 games do,
I will gladly pay that amount of money for the PSP. I would much rather buy
an expensive hardware with cheap games, than buy a cheap hardware with
expensive games (like the Nintendo). People say there's no reason not to own
a GC today, because they're so cheap. Well, that doesn't help much when the
games cost just as much as on the other formats. I believe software prices
is the be-all end-all of the games market, as you usually only buy a new
console once, while you keep on spending money on a bunch of games.

Tommy

---
September 22, 2004 5:55:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

"Mike Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> all indications right now are that PSP will cost $300 at launch in the
>> U.S. and equivalent to that in Japan (33,000 yen).
>>
>> is that too much money for you?
>
> Frankly, $300 was too much for the PS2 and Xbox, and what you basically
> get
> with the PSP is PS2 technology (slightly less) in a smaller format and 4
> 1/2
> years later. What's more, my PS2 doesn't run out of batteries in 2 hours.
> The PSP looks cool, and I think I'd choose it over the DS, but there's no
> way I'm going to pay $300 for a handheld system.

Where is your source for the 2 hour battery life? According to IGN it seems
to be lasting longer, and we're talking about playing games, not movies.

--Brenden

> The PSP will be successful, though, and it will be a good system. After
> all, it has the PlayStation name on it.
> --
> //mike tyndall
> C++ programmer and game designer (not professionally)
> See my 329-game collection:
> http://users.ign.com/collection/MikeTyndall

Anonymous
September 22, 2004 6:09:52 AM

"Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote in message

> "Mike Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> all indications right now are that PSP will cost $300 at launch in the
> >> U.S. and equivalent to that in Japan (33,000 yen).
> >>
> >> is that too much money for you?
> >
> > Frankly, $300 was too much for the PS2 and Xbox, and what you basically
> > get
> > with the PSP is PS2 technology (slightly less) in a smaller format and 4
> > 1/2
> > years later. What's more, my PS2 doesn't run out of batteries in 2
hours.
> > The PSP looks cool, and I think I'd choose it over the DS, but there's
no
> > way I'm going to pay $300 for a handheld system.
>
> Where is your source for the 2 hour battery life? According to IGN it
seems
> to be lasting longer, and we're talking about playing games, not movies.

Well, I was exaggerating here; I know it will last longer than that. I was
just talking about how my PS2 is basically superior in every way except
portability. Chances are that the PSP will have lower battery life than the
DS, though it should be reasonable. They would probably have considered a
redesign if they couldn't get at least 7-8 hours out of it.
--
//mike tyndall
C++ programmer and game designer (not professionally)
See my 329-game collection:
http://users.ign.com/collection/MikeTyndall
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 8:47:57 AM

Radeon350@yahoo.com (Radeon350) wrote in news:ab1f5a92.0409211349.3eeca1d4
@posting.google.com:

> all indications right now are that PSP will cost $300 at launch in the
> U.S. and equivalent to that in Japan (33,000 yen).
>
> is that too much money for you?

Doesn't really matter since indications tend to mean "industry analysists"
talking out their asses.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 8:55:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

That is true. The ipod is $299 and I'd definitely buy it if I had the extra
bones. Right now im having to pay fines and dui classes, or id have one. So
the PSP with all its supposed features would be worth waiting for. By that
time i'll be through with class and have extra money hopefull. Plus my bd is
in march when the psp is supposed to be here in u.s. if theres no delays and
that would make a great gift, hehe.
"jimmy" <jimmygass@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> "Mike Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > all indications right now are that PSP will cost $300 at launch in the
>> > U.S. and equivalent to that in Japan (33,000 yen).
>> >
>> > is that too much money for you?
>>
>> Frankly, $300 was too much for the PS2 and Xbox, and what you basically
>> get
>> with the PSP is PS2 technology (slightly less) in a smaller format and 4
>> 1/2
>> years later. What's more, my PS2 doesn't run out of batteries in 2
>> hours.
>> The PSP looks cool, and I think I'd choose it over the DS, but there's no
>> way I'm going to pay $300 for a handheld system.
>>
>> The PSP will be successful, though, and it will be a good system. After
>> all, it has the PlayStation name on it.
>
> my reply to this is that 300 dollars is a lot.
> but then i compare it to other peripherals on the market now, and if
> the psp can do all of the things that i have heard that it can, then
> that price is competative. apples iPod is around that price, i think,
> and they , apple, said they don't care about adding any kind of video
> support in the future. and the psp will have that, and more. as long
> as it fits in my pocket, and can do all i've heard then i'm sold.
September 22, 2004 9:15:41 AM

In article <eI14d.215363$4o.101072@fed1read01>,
"Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote:

> However, I cannot see Sony dropping a $300 brick for us gamers to try to
> catch. But then again if it can support MP3 out of the box, I'll gladly pay
> the $300. If it delivers as the all in wonder its being touted to be, it
> will blow the doors off Nintendo. I'm willing to drop the 300 for it as it
> stands now, although... I'd love to pay less, who wouldn't??

$300 in itself may not be that high but you might need some extra money
for a Memory Stick just for game saves. And then if you want to load a
bunch of MP3s, you may want to get at least a 256 MB MS. Maybe 512 MB.

Mo money.

That shiny screen looks like it might scratch up. You might want a
fancy case like people buy for iPods.

Mo money.

And maybe with the reputed poor battery life, you should consider
getting some extra batteries too.

Mo money, mo money, mo money.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 9:15:42 AM

"poldy" <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in message
news:p oldy-416786.22154521092004@netnews.comcast.net...
> In article <eI14d.215363$4o.101072@fed1read01>,
> "Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> However, I cannot see Sony dropping a $300 brick for us gamers to try to
>> catch. But then again if it can support MP3 out of the box, I'll gladly
>> pay
>> the $300. If it delivers as the all in wonder its being touted to be, it
>> will blow the doors off Nintendo. I'm willing to drop the 300 for it as
>> it
>> stands now, although... I'd love to pay less, who wouldn't??
>
> $300 in itself may not be that high but you might need some extra money
> for a Memory Stick just for game saves. And then if you want to load a
> bunch of MP3s, you may want to get at least a 256 MB MS. Maybe 512 MB.
>
> Mo money.

I've already got a huge ass memory stick for my digital camera, no need to
buy another.

> That shiny screen looks like it might scratch up. You might want a
> fancy case like people buy for iPods.

I'm sure some little kid might need a case... I take care of my things
better than that.

> Mo money.
>
> And maybe with the reputed poor battery life, you should consider
> getting some extra batteries too.

reputed poor battery life??? of what??? the psp??? i didnt know you had
one and knew first hand. IGN reported no change in the battery indicator
after hours of play.. hands on impression from them i think is more
credible than you.

--brenden

> Mo money, mo money, mo money.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 11:05:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

> <SNIP>
>
>> will you pay $300 for PSP?
>>
>> I might, I might not. have not decided.
>>
>> $300 is not the final locked price of PSP, but that's what Sony seems
>> to be indicating right now. there is plenty of time for Sony to gauge
>> reaction and change the price between now and release, which is now Q1
>> 2005 at the soonest.
>>
>> I hope Sony brings it down to $200. $300 is gonna be a tough sell.
>

> I will pay what ever price Sony asks. Not because I'm a blinded Sony
> fanboy, but because I want to see Nintendo fail and every way possible.
> Heck, if Sony cant do it, I'd like to see Microsoft take a chance too.
> Nintendo has been so laxed on the handheld business its unbelievable. I
> think people only bought gameboys because there just wasn't a comparably
> priced alternative with lots of games.
>
> However, I cannot see Sony dropping a $300 brick for us gamers to try to
> catch. But then again if it can support MP3 out of the box, I'll gladly
> pay the $300. If it delivers as the all in wonder its being touted to be,
> it will blow the doors off Nintendo. I'm willing to drop the 300 for it as
> it stands now, although... I'd love to pay less, who wouldn't??

It's supposed to only play Sony's ATRAC music format.

--
goodcow
goodcowfilms.com

> --Brenden

Anonymous
September 22, 2004 12:26:36 PM

poldy <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in
news:p oldy-416786.22154521092004@netnews.comcast.net:

> And maybe with the reputed poor battery life, you should consider
> getting some extra batteries too.

The only people claiming it'll have terrible battery life were folks who
took the movie playback battery usage estimates and ignored the rest of the
commentaries that all said games would use much less power on average.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 12:26:37 PM

"Joe Ottoson" <grover@landfill.com> wrote in message
> poldy <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in
> news:p oldy-416786.22154521092004@netnews.comcast.net:
>

>> And maybe with the reputed poor battery life, you should consider
>> getting some extra batteries too.
>
> The only people claiming it'll have terrible battery life were folks who
> took the movie playback battery usage estimates and ignored the rest of
> the
> commentaries that all said games would use much less power on average.

Yes, because a complex game that's streaming world data throughout is so
dissimilar than a movie which is also constantly streaming data, right?

*cough*

--
goodcow
goodcowfilms.com

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

"Radeon350" <Radeon350@yahoo.com> wrote

> all indications right now are that PSP will cost $300 at launch in the
> U.S. and equivalent to that in Japan (33,000 yen).

> is that too much money for you?

Yep.

> the PSP has graphics capabilities that are roughly on par with PS2. In
> some areas, PSP is weaker than PS2, but in many other areas, PSP is
> better than PS2 in graphics because of the extra graphic functions PSP
> has, plus the fact that PSP does not have to draw/display to as a
> screen resolution that PS2 does.

That's a minus, IMHO, especially when you take aliasing into effect.

> $300 is not the final locked price of PSP, but that's what Sony seems
> to be indicating right now. there is plenty of time for Sony to gauge
> reaction and change the price between now and release, which is now Q1
> 2005 at the soonest.

> I hope Sony brings it down to $200. $300 is gonna be a tough sell.

Not really interested, at this point, at all. Big wait and see on it. Will
probably get the DS, though, because of the track record.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 2:45:48 PM

jimmy wrote:
> "Mike Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<yLqdnbPg-5yzN83cRVn-jg@comcast.com>...
>
>>>all indications right now are that PSP will cost $300 at launch in the
>>>U.S. and equivalent to that in Japan (33,000 yen).
>>>
>>>is that too much money for you?
>>
>>Frankly, $300 was too much for the PS2 and Xbox, and what you basically get
>>with the PSP is PS2 technology (slightly less) in a smaller format and 4 1/2
>>years later. What's more, my PS2 doesn't run out of batteries in 2 hours.
>>The PSP looks cool, and I think I'd choose it over the DS, but there's no
>>way I'm going to pay $300 for a handheld system.
>>
>>The PSP will be successful, though, and it will be a good system. After
>>all, it has the PlayStation name on it.
>

> my reply to this is that 300 dollars is a lot.
> but then i compare it to other peripherals on the market now, and if
> the psp can do all of the things that i have heard that it can, then
> that price is competative. apples iPod is around that price, i think,
> and they , apple, said they don't care about adding any kind of video
> support in the future. and the psp will have that, and more. as long
> as it fits in my pocket, and can do all i've heard then i'm sold.

I think it's unfair to compare the PSP to the iPod, which many people
seem to do. For one, the iPod is primarily a music player, and the PSP
is primarily a games machine. Additionally, there's a hard-drive in an
iPod, which is way WAY bigger than any memory stick Sony (or any other
flash-memory card manufacturer) will ever come up with. It would be more
appropriate to compare the up-coming [Sony] VIAO Pocket Digtal Music
Player with the iPod.

My hope (and fear) is that the PSP is going to try so hard to be a
jack-of-all-trades that it will fail to be anything. Nintendo do need to
be seriously challenged in the mobile arena, but I don't think the PSP
will do it, at least not this generation. It simply costs too much
(although some (stupid) people think the more expensive something is,
the better it is)

If I wanted to play a PS2, I'll buy a PS2 (or PSTwo) for $200 less than
the PSP, if I want gaming on the move, I'll buy a GameBoy, or use my
mobile phone (which, incidentally, plays mp3s, and avi/mpeg movies)
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 5:15:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

We didnt compare it to the ipod. Just the price, and that people would pay
300 for something like that , why not a psp ?
"Vitani" <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote in message
> jimmy wrote:
>> "Mike Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>>Frankly, $300 was too much for the PS2 and Xbox, and what you basically
>>>get
>>>with the PSP is PS2 technology (slightly less) in a smaller format and 4
>>>1/2
>>>years later. What's more, my PS2 doesn't run out of batteries in 2
>>>hours.
>>>The PSP looks cool, and I think I'd choose it over the DS, but there's no
>>>way I'm going to pay $300 for a handheld system.
>>>
>>>The PSP will be successful, though, and it will be a good system. After
>>>all, it has the PlayStation name on it.
>>

>> my reply to this is that 300 dollars is a lot.
>> but then i compare it to other peripherals on the market now, and if
>> the psp can do all of the things that i have heard that it can, then
>> that price is competative. apples iPod is around that price, i think,
>> and they , apple, said they don't care about adding any kind of video
>> support in the future. and the psp will have that, and more. as long
>> as it fits in my pocket, and can do all i've heard then i'm sold.
>
> I think it's unfair to compare the PSP to the iPod, which many people seem
> to do. For one, the iPod is primarily a music player, and the PSP is
> primarily a games machine. Additionally, there's a hard-drive in an iPod,
> which is way WAY bigger than any memory stick Sony (or any other
> flash-memory card manufacturer) will ever come up with. It would be more
> appropriate to compare the up-coming [Sony] VIAO Pocket Digtal Music
> Player with the iPod.
>
> My hope (and fear) is that the PSP is going to try so hard to be a
> jack-of-all-trades that it will fail to be anything. Nintendo do need to
> be seriously challenged in the mobile arena, but I don't think the PSP
> will do it, at least not this generation. It simply costs too much
> (although some (stupid) people think the more expensive something is, the
> better it is)
>
> If I wanted to play a PS2, I'll buy a PS2 (or PSTwo) for $200 less than
> the PSP, if I want gaming on the move, I'll buy a GameBoy, or use my
> mobile phone (which, incidentally, plays mp3s, and avi/mpeg movies)
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 5:54:25 PM

arias wrote:
> We didnt compare it to the ipod. Just the price, and that people would pay
> 300 for something like that , why not a psp ?

An iPod allows you to listen to (an estimated) 21 days of music, during
which you don't have to look at the unit at all. You just plug in your
headphones, and away you go. Listening anywhere, walking, driving,
biking, etc. You cannot do the same with a PSP. You have to look at it.
An iPod can be used anywhere, and thus is worth the pay-out. A PSP
cannot, and has to work harder to make it worth the money. By working
harder I don't mean being able to play movies on a media format that no
film studio in the world (barr Sony) would release their films on.

In my opinion it fails to be worth $300. It is a game console, and the
GameBoy, DS & NQ are all cheaper, and better (again imo)

I hope the PSP fails, because I think Sony have got it all wrong. I know
they wont fail, because Sony could put their logo on dog poo and people
would buy it. Generally, people are dumb (I'm not for a minute saying
you are, for all I know you're a rocket scientist) and they will buy
what they are "told" to buy by the sales & advertising people.

problem with the SP, and most people who own portables are kids, as they
have more time to play them (most adults spend their "mobile time"
driving, rather than being driven)
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 7:27:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

"Radeon350" <Radeon350@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> all indications right now are that PSP will cost $300 at launch in the
> U.S. and equivalent to that in Japan (33,000 yen).
>
> is that too much money for you?

Frankly, yes. I mean, I've read the specs and seen the screen shots and
everything, but I'm not yet convinced. People have been screaming "It plays
music! The games are 3D! I'm gonna buy it the day it comes out!" but I don't
know. I'm going to wait until it's been out a while before I decide; read
some reviews, see how well it holds up. Besides, I'm not interested in
re-buying my entire DVD collection in UMD format, I'm only interested in the
gaming aspect. And $300 for a handheld? I'm hesitant to pay that for a home
console. Personally, I have no intention of making the purchase on my faith
in Sony. Once I know it's a good, reliable system with some *fun* games (and
a price drop or two), then I'll see about picking one up. Until then, I've
got my PS2 and GC for 3D fun, and my GBA SP for portable fun.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 8:25:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

Well , i guess i wasnt clear. I didnt compare what the ipod does with what
the psp will do. Just that the cost margin is about the same.
Apple is a big name to and they could make a pile a of poo and put there
logo on it and some "mac only" dude would buy it because he's trendy and
likes there commercials, hehe.
> arias wrote:
>> We didnt compare it to the ipod. Just the price, and that people would
>> pay 300 for something like that , why not a psp ?
>
> An iPod allows you to listen to (an estimated) 21 days of music, during
> which you don't have to look at the unit at all. You just plug in your
> headphones, and away you go. Listening anywhere, walking, driving, biking,
> etc. You cannot do the same with a PSP. You have to look at it. An iPod
> can be used anywhere, and thus is worth the pay-out. A PSP cannot, and has
> to work harder to make it worth the money. By working harder I don't mean
> being able to play movies on a media format that no film studio in the
> world (barr Sony) would release their films on.
>
> In my opinion it fails to be worth $300. It is a game console, and the
> GameBoy, DS & NQ are all cheaper, and better (again imo)
>
> I hope the PSP fails, because I think Sony have got it all wrong. I know
> they wont fail, because Sony could put their logo on dog poo and people
> would buy it. Generally, people are dumb (I'm not for a minute saying you
> are, for all I know you're a rocket scientist) and they will buy what they
> are "told" to buy by the sales & advertising people.

> problem with the SP, and most people who own portables are kids, as they
> have more time to play them (most adults spend their "mobile time"
> driving, rather than being driven)
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 8:28:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

Then when the psp comes out, you'll start to drool, sell the ds on ebay and
then use the money for a PSP. Hopefully there not sold out : )
"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> "Radeon350" <Radeon350@yahoo.com> wrote
>
>> all indications right now are that PSP will cost $300 at launch in the
>> U.S. and equivalent to that in Japan (33,000 yen).
>
>> is that too much money for you?
>
> Yep.
>
>> the PSP has graphics capabilities that are roughly on par with PS2. In
>> some areas, PSP is weaker than PS2, but in many other areas, PSP is
>> better than PS2 in graphics because of the extra graphic functions PSP
>> has, plus the fact that PSP does not have to draw/display to as a
>> screen resolution that PS2 does.
>
> That's a minus, IMHO, especially when you take aliasing into effect.

>> $300 is not the final locked price of PSP, but that's what Sony seems
>> to be indicating right now. there is plenty of time for Sony to gauge
>> reaction and change the price between now and release, which is now Q1
>> 2005 at the soonest.
>
>> I hope Sony brings it down to $200. $300 is gonna be a tough sell.
>
> Not really interested, at this point, at all. Big wait and see on it.
> Will
> probably get the DS, though, because of the track record.

Anonymous
September 22, 2004 8:28:10 PM

"arias" <georgearias@verizon.net> wrote

> Then when the psp comes out, you'll start to drool, sell the ds on ebay
and
> then use the money for a PSP. Hopefully there not sold out : )

Doubt it. So far the games look like pixel vomit and I haven't seen any
that are really suited for the "hand held" market. And, come on... load
times on a portable? lol. The thing's a joke.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 8:28:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=4535
PSP hardware is finished; Kutaragi reveals new details

Tom Bramwell 11:53 22/09/2004
New handheld will definitely ship this year; several new titles announced in
Tokyo

Sony has finished work on PlayStation Portable hardware and still intends to
ship the console this year, Sony COO Ken Kutaragi told a press briefing in
Japan yesterday, although the company has yet to announce pricing or release
date details and Kutaragi declined to say whether or not the unit would cost
more than the Nintendo DS ($149).

Yesterday, reports started drifting around that had the PSP retailing in
Japan at 33,000 yen (around 167 UKP / 244 Euro), but Sony has since
described any talk about price as "speculation" and refused to confirm or
deny pricing plans for any territory.

"We won't announce the price of the PSP today," Kutaragi told the assembled
hacks yesterday, adding that he hoped to announce it "after we hear the
voices of our users, distributors, and developers at the Tokyo Game Show."
Sony plans to have 100 playable PSP units at the show and more than 20
playable games.

Yesterday's Sony briefing also revealed a bunch of new games on the way from
the likes of Atlus, Namco (Taiko no Tatsujin drum/music game), SNK (3D King
of Fighters game), From Software (Tenchu) and Tetsuya Mizuguchi's Q
Entertainment (Lumines, a "sound and light action puzzle game" to be
published by Bandai).

Sony certainly needs the PSP to make an impression at the Tokyo Game Show
after mounting speculation that the handheld will slip to 2005, and rumours
of discontent amongst PSP developers surfaced recently.

Kutaragi also said that plans for movies on UMD - the proprietary disc
format the PSP will use - are now in the final stages, although there are
currently no plans to let users record anything to UMD. Apparently it might
happen "if the market starts to get stabilised and things are going well,"
but if it does it will come after a period of consultation with companies
about recording formats, copy protection, standards and so on.

For now though the message is that the hardware is finished, and software
availability and the critical reaction are the main factors. "It wouldn't be
good if there were a stack of games released at launch, and then a long
period afterward without game releases," Kutaragi said, presumably calling
to mind the PS2 launch in some people's minds. "So we need to look ahead. We
want to make sure that we have a steady release [schedule] before announcing
the launch date."

good thing about the price not being set. Sony is waiting to see the
reaction to PSP at TGS from developers, users, distributers. I doubt the
reported $300 price will stand :)
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 8:47:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

Radeon350 wrote:

im gonna buy it if it plays cdr
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 8:47:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

> im gonna buy it if it plays cdr

It plays UMDs (about the size of GameCube discs), not CDs. Unfortunately,
that means no CD-Rs :-(
--
//mike tyndall
C++ programmer and game designer (not professionally)
See my 329-game collection:
http://users.ign.com/collection/MikeTyndall
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 10:31:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

"Vitani" <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote in message
> arias wrote:
> > We didnt compare it to the ipod. Just the price, and that people would
pay
> > 300 for something like that , why not a psp ?
>
> An iPod allows you to listen to (an estimated) 21 days of music, during
> which you don't have to look at the unit at all. You just plug in your
> headphones, and away you go. Listening anywhere, walking, driving,
> biking, etc. You cannot do the same with a PSP. You have to look at it.
> An iPod can be used anywhere, and thus is worth the pay-out. A PSP
> cannot, and has to work harder to make it worth the money. By working
> harder I don't mean being able to play movies on a media format that no
> film studio in the world (barr Sony) would release their films on.
>
> In my opinion it fails to be worth $300. It is a game console, and the
> GameBoy, DS & NQ are all cheaper, and better (again imo)
>
> I hope the PSP fails, because I think Sony have got it all wrong. I know
> they wont fail, because Sony could put their logo on dog poo and people
> would buy it. Generally, people are dumb (I'm not for a minute saying
> you are, for all I know you're a rocket scientist) and they will buy
> what they are "told" to buy by the sales & advertising people.

This paragraph alone removes all credibility from your post as anything
other than biased rambling.

> problem with the SP, and most people who own portables are kids, as they
> have more time to play them (most adults spend their "mobile time"
> driving, rather than being driven)
September 23, 2004 1:18:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

No way
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 2:18:37 AM

In article <gvOdnZ_BvJb-LMzcRVn-ug@comcast.com>,
"Mike Tyndall" <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > im gonna buy it if it plays cdr
>
> It plays UMDs (about the size of GameCube discs), not CDs. Unfortunately,
> that means no CD-Rs :-(

I'll bet some groups come out with a way to link it to a PC and play
games over a cable. Of course, that will defeat the portable aspect,
but they did it with the GC.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 2:40:13 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

"Phillip Roncoroni" <goodcow@milk.com> wrote in news:41515cca$1$54370
$c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com:

> "Joe Ottoson" <grover@landfill.com> wrote in message
>> poldy <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in
>> news:p oldy-416786.22154521092004@netnews.comcast.net:
>>

>>> And maybe with the reputed poor battery life, you should consider
>>> getting some extra batteries too.
>>
>> The only people claiming it'll have terrible battery life were folks
who
>> took the movie playback battery usage estimates and ignored the rest
of
>> the
>> commentaries that all said games would use much less power on
average.

> Yes, because a complex game that's streaming world data throughout is
so
> dissimilar than a movie which is also constantly streaming data,
right?

> *cough*

Yeah, 'casue there are so many of those... Right?

*cough*
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 2:40:14 AM

> "Phillip Roncoroni" <goodcow@milk.com> wrote in news:41515cca$1$54370
> $c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com:
>
>> "Joe Ottoson" <grover@landfill.com> wrote in message
>>> poldy <poldy@kfu.com> wrote in
>>> news:p oldy-416786.22154521092004@netnews.comcast.net:

>>> The only people claiming it'll have terrible battery life were folks
> who
>>> took the movie playback battery usage estimates and ignored the rest
> of
>>> the
>>> commentaries that all said games would use much less power on
> average.
>>
>> Yes, because a complex game that's streaming world data throughout is
> so
>> dissimilar than a movie which is also constantly streaming data,
> right?
>>
>> *cough*
>
> Yeah, 'casue there are so many of those... Right?
>
> *cough*

They've been doing it since Soul Reaver on PSOne, and probably earlier than
that. Lots of games use streaming now. I'm curious as to whether or not
Burning Rangers did it actually.

GTA PSP is going to be murder on the battery.

--
goodcow
goodcowfilms.com

arias wrote:
> Well , i guess i wasnt clear. I didnt compare what the ipod does with what
> the psp will do. Just that the cost margin is about the same.
> Apple is a big name to and they could make a pile a of poo and put there
> logo on it and some "mac only" dude would buy it because he's trendy and
> likes there commercials, hehe.

I agree with that :o )

People who blindly buy from one brand just because of their name are stupid!

Unlike me, I buy thing with one eye open ;o)
September 23, 2004 1:01:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

Hate sony much, do you?
Yeah your opinion matters
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 3:49:45 PM

On 9/21/04 6:31 PM, in article Zp-dnXNpR5NQJM3cRVn-rQ@comcast.com,
"Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net> wrote:

> "Radeon350" <Radeon350@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> all indications right now are that PSP will cost $300 at launch in the
>> U.S. and equivalent to that in Japan (33,000 yen).
>>
>> is that too much money for you?
>>
>> the PSP has graphics capabilities that are roughly on par with PS2. In
>> some areas, PSP is weaker than PS2, but in many other areas, PSP is
>> better than PS2 in graphics because of the extra graphic functions PSP
>> has, plus the fact that PSP does not have to draw/display to as a
>> screen resolution that PS2 does.
>>
>> PSP has almost as much RAM memory that PS2 has.
>>
>> PSP: 36 MB total
>> 32 MB external RAM + 4 MB eDRAM
>> PS2: 40 MB total
>> 32 MB external RAM + 4 MB eDRAM + 2 MB audio RAM + 2 MB for I/O chip
>> (PS1 CPU)
>>

>> PSP will obviously play games, music and movies thanks to it's UMD
>> universal media disc which can hold slightly more data than Gamecube's
>> mini DVDs.
>>
>> PSP's 3D graphics capabilities are beyond those of Dreamcast in every
>> area that I know of. they rival Gamecube and PS2 in *some* areas,
>> although Gamecube and PS2 surpass PSP in some areas also.
>>
>> overall, PSP is 2 orders of magnitude beyond the GBA in graphics, and
>> still far surpass the graphics of DS.
>>
>> new PSP games are being revealed every hour, I cant even keep up with
>> all the announcements.
>>
>> will you pay $300 for PSP?
>>
>> I might, I might not. have not decided.
>>
>> $300 is not the final locked price of PSP, but that's what Sony seems
>> to be indicating right now. there is plenty of time for Sony to gauge
>> reaction and change the price between now and release, which is now Q1
>> 2005 at the soonest.
>>
>> I hope Sony brings it down to $200. $300 is gonna be a tough sell.
>
> $300 is kind of steep but I'll bite. It is too expensive for me to get
> another for my wife like I will with the DS but with all of the things that
> it is rumored to have, I won't have a problem spending 3 bills.

I agree, if it has the specs it does now when it is released, I think $300
will be a fine price. Ebgames.com has games listed for pre-order but no
place (that I found) to pre-order the actual PSP unit.

I pre-ordered a new PS2 (the new small one) yesterday, I wonder if it will
still have the optical audio out plug-in?

RickB
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 5:56:17 PM

dementia wrote:

> Hate sony much, do you?
> Yeah your opinion matters

I don't hate Sony. I don't hate anyone/thing. Admittedly I don't like
the PlayStation, but that's purely because I've never seen, nor played,
a game I like on it. However on the flip side, I'd love a Sony AIBO, and
own 2 MD players (one portable, one built into my hi-fi)

Additionally, I would say my opinion counts as much as yours or anyone
elses, if that means no-one's opinion matters, then so be it.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 7:51:47 PM

Mike Tyndall wrote:

> There have been some pretty fancy 3D games for the GBA, if you're
> speaking from a technological standpoint. For example, there was a
> European-only 3D platformer I saw on IGN called Asterix. Pretty
> impressive stuff. There's also Stuntman and V-Rally 3.
> Incidentally, all of those are by the same developer.

The only one I've heard of out of those three is V-Rally 3 which does indeed
look impressive, though I have yet to see a copy available at my local Game or
Gamestation...

I remember a couple of years ago reading about different developers writing
competing 3D engines that could then be licenced to other games developers to
use, but nothing really came of it. To see the GBA throwing textured polygons
around is indeed impressive however, especially as the SNES was never capable of
this (or no developer tried it), even with that FX chip.

But even 2D games don't appear to look as impressive as the SNES - the graphics
on Donkey Kong Country were abysmal and nothing like those Silicon Graphics
workstation graphics we saw on the SNES game. There seems to be a general
laziness when it comes to 2D graphics these days.

> If you're referring to the games released and not the technology,
> then I agree with you. There are a few new Nintendo series on the
> GBA, like Advance Wars and Fire Emblem (though both of these have
> existed in Japan for a long time), but the GBA hasn't received much
> support from Nintendo lately.

I did of course mean this as well. If there was any company out there that knew
how to exploit the GBA hardware, surely it would be Nintendo? Yet they seem to
be more content with releasing lazy, unoptmised ports knowing people will buy
them up no matter what the cost. Hell, they're releasing 'classic' NES games on
it now with no optimised graphics or even a proper game save system.

I find it ironic that it's actually Nintendo's rival, Sega who have put more
effort into GBA games: Sonic Advance 1-3 (these could've been lazy ports like
the Mario games, but instead were brand new games), Super Monkey Ball Jr and a
couple of others spring to mind though I can't recall the titles right now.
Nintendo have continued to feed us a diet of ports - in some cases renaming them
so they 'sound' like new games.

But as you say, there have been some 'new' games from them too, though
admittedly they are built on existing franchises: Advance Wars (see GB Wars,
SNES wars etc), Fire Emblem, Wario Ware, etc. I've just yet to come across a
game that advertises itself as that all important 'killer app' for the GBA
though.

>> By the way, since when has the DS been touted as the PSP's rival?
>> Even Nintendo never made this claim.
>
> It's sort of an unofficial thing. They were introduced to the public
> at the same time, they're Nintendo/Sony handhelds and thus
> competitors, etc.

Ah, but it still remains an unfair comparison. The PSP is far more powerful than
the DS, though they are both completely new machines unlike anything else that
had existed in the handheld market before them. I'm still leaning towards the
DS, particularly so I can play my GBA games on a decent screen (I wasn't
impressed with the frontlit GBA SP screen because it was still difficult to see
under certain lighting conditions), but also because multiplayer Metroid seems
like a lot of fun too!

Paul.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 8:09:06 PM

Fred Liken wrote:
> "arias" <georgearias@verizon.net> wrote
>
>> Then when the psp comes out, you'll start to drool, sell the ds on
>> ebay and then use the money for a PSP. Hopefully there not sold out
>> : )
>
> Doubt it. So far the games look like pixel vomit and I haven't seen
> any that are really suited for the "hand held" market. And, come
> on... load times on a portable? lol. The thing's a joke.

As games continue to get bigger and bigger, I wonder how long it would be before
we start seeing load times on the DS too? You shouldn't really expect to see
anything like that on cartridge-based systems, but I remember seeing a Megadrive
game a few years ago that actually had a loading screen! This was a cartridge
game, not a CD-based one.

PDA users have long grown used to loading screens on games now though.

Paul.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 10:56:52 PM

> dementia wrote:
>
> > Hate sony much, do you?
> > Yeah your opinion matters
>
> I don't hate Sony. I don't hate anyone/thing. Admittedly I don't like
> the PlayStation, but that's purely because I've never seen, nor played,
> a game I like on it. However on the flip side, I'd love a Sony AIBO, and
> own 2 MD players (one portable, one built into my hi-fi)
>
> Additionally, I would say my opinion counts as much as yours or anyone
> elses, if that means no-one's opinion matters, then so be it.

What is that, the Jedi Mind trick Eddie Murphy talked about in Delirious?
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 6:00:27 AM

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 arias <georgearias@verizon.net> wrote:
> We didnt compare it to the ipod. Just the price, and that people would pay
> 300 for something like that , why not a psp ?

It's not exactly a fair comparison. For one thing, the bulk of the iPod's
price is the microdrive it contains. For another, said microdrive is what
allows the iPod to hold 20 or 40GB of music, vs. the PSP's UMD technology
which will allow about a Gigabyte of data on removable disc (1.6GB? I
forget how much.) A better comparison would be to compare the PSP to
Sony's existing MD line which also uses a removable disc media.

Right now, the PSP is being pitched as a game player that might also have
additional capabilities to play movies, music or other media. Details are
scarce... For one thing, I haven't heard anything that says that the PSP
will explicitly allow users to transfer MP3s to a UMD disk somehow, for
use in the PSP. This feature would make the PSP more like Sony's existing
MD players.

If the PSP can play some compelling games while offering its users the
ability to put their own media (music or video) onto blank UMD discs
without additional equipment (eg. no extra add-ons required) then I could
see the device being worth $300.

If, on the other hand, Sony expects people to rush out to (re)buy movies
on UMD for their PSP, they have another thing coming. And if they refuse
to support the MP3 altogether, then forget it. The PSP will be nothing
but an overpriced gaming console.

At least with decent music and video capabilities, Sony can attempt to
pitch the PSP to the handheld/PDA/Cellphone crowd. This is the same
market where Sony can charge $600 for a PDA with a keyboard, MP3 player,
and digital camera - and do reasonably well, considering their competitors
are things like Compaq's iPaq device.

Meanwhile, those who are only interested in using the thing as a game
station would be better off waiting for the inevitable price drops, while
the game library improves.
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 10:35:27 AM

> "Joe Ottoson" <grover@landfill.com> wrote in message
>> "Phillip Roncoroni" <goodcow@milk.com> wrote in news:41515cca$1$54370
>> $c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com:
>>
>>> "Joe Ottoson" <grover@landfill.com> wrote in message

>> who
>> of
>> average.
>>>
>>> Yes, because a complex game that's streaming world data throughout
>>> is
>> so
>>> dissimilar than a movie which is also constantly streaming data,
>> right?
>>>
>>> *cough*
>>
>> Yeah, 'casue there are so many of those... Right?
>>
>> *cough*
>
> They've been doing it since Soul Reaver on PSOne, and probably earlier
> than that. Lots of games use streaming now.

Bah. They've been doing it since King's Field. Very few games actually
make use of this however, and you'd think that developers would design
for the target hardware just a little wouldn't you?

> GTA PSP is going to be murder on the battery.

Yeah, Preload cars, and a track, do nothing for the duration of the
race, preload the next track....
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 1:08:34 PM

> "Phillip Roncoroni" <goodcow@milk.com> wrote in
>
>> "Joe Ottoson" <grover@landfill.com> wrote in message
>>> "Phillip Roncoroni" <goodcow@milk.com> wrote in news:41515cca$1$54370
>>> $c3e8da3@news.astraweb.com:

>>> who
>>> of
>>> average.

>>> so
>>> right?

>>> Yeah, 'casue there are so many of those... Right?
>>>
>>> *cough*
>>
>> They've been doing it since Soul Reaver on PSOne, and probably earlier
>> than that. Lots of games use streaming now.
>
> Bah. They've been doing it since King's Field. Very few games actually
> make use of this however, and you'd think that developers would design
> for the target hardware just a little wouldn't you?

If they want to limit the scope of the game or change its design, yeah.

>> GTA PSP is going to be murder on the battery.
>
> Yeah, Preload cars, and a track, do nothing for the duration of the
> race, preload the next track....

Except that wouldn't work for GTA, otherwise they'd be doing it now. They'd
either have to compromise on certain aspects, or have it constantly stream
as it does now, which would again, hurt battery life a lot.

--
goodcow
goodcowfilms.com

> "Joe Ottoson" <grover@landfill.com> wrote in message
>> "Phillip Roncoroni" <goodcow@milk.com> wrote in
>>
>>> "Joe Ottoson" <grover@landfill.com> wrote in message

>>> They've been doing it since Soul Reaver on PSOne, and probably
>>> earlier than that. Lots of games use streaming now.
>>
>> Bah. They've been doing it since King's Field. Very few games
>> actually make use of this however, and you'd think that developers
>> would design for the target hardware just a little wouldn't you?
>
> If they want to limit the scope of the game or change its design,
> yeah.

With the hardware constraints, it's kinda a given. Unless it's being
programmed by a retard.

>>> GTA PSP is going to be murder on the battery.
>>
>> Yeah, Preload cars, and a track, do nothing for the duration of the
>> race, preload the next track....
>
> Except that wouldn't work for GTA, otherwise they'd be doing it now.

Not a whole lot of solid reasoning going on there Phil.
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 4:13:41 AM

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Chu-Chu <marymary105@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I'll bet some groups come out with a way to link it to a PC and play
> games over a cable. Of course, that will defeat the portable aspect,
> but they did it with the GC.

What would be the point of that? I'd be more interested in being able to
write my own media (mp3s or mpgs) to a blank UMD myself.
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 7:02:15 AM

In article <10l9e1lqbgqs070@corp.supernews.com>,
Doug Jacobs <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:

> In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Chu-Chu <marymary105@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'll bet some groups come out with a way to link it to a PC and play
> > games over a cable. Of course, that will defeat the portable aspect,
> > but they did it with the GC.
>
> What would be the point of that? I'd be more interested in being able to
> write my own media (mp3s or mpgs) to a blank UMD myself.

The point would be that there most likely won't be UMD blanks for
everyone in general to burn, so "alternate" groups would probably try
another way, something like the GC ethernet connection.
September 26, 2004 5:24:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

"Radeon350" <Radeon350@yahoo.com> wrote

> all indications right now are that PSP will cost $300 at launch in the
> U.S. and equivalent to that in Japan (33,000 yen).

It seems unlikely that Sony will do a yen > $ exact conversion. They haven't
in the past and they won't with the PSP. Most likely it will sell around the
$200 mark.

I am willing to take bets on that too.
September 26, 2004 11:38:06 PM

In article <Gq84d.946$0j.409@lakeread08>,
"Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote:

> > And maybe with the reputed poor battery life, you should consider
> > getting some extra batteries too.
>

> reputed poor battery life??? of what??? the psp??? i didnt know you had
> one and knew first hand. IGN reported no change in the battery indicator
> after hours of play.. hands on impression from them i think is more
> credible than you.

IGN also said some models were hooked up to developer kit workstations
and still others appeared to be playing from a Memory Stick.

Get the UMD spinning with Wifi going and then report back what the
battery life is.
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 11:38:07 PM

news:p oldy-9E1826.12380726092004@netnews.comcast.net...
> In article <Gq84d.946$0j.409@lakeread08>,
> "Brenden D. Chase" <brendenREMOVE77@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> > And maybe with the reputed poor battery life, you should consider
>> > getting some extra batteries too.
>>

>> reputed poor battery life??? of what??? the psp??? i didnt know you had
>> one and knew first hand. IGN reported no change in the battery indicator
>> after hours of play.. hands on impression from them i think is more
>> credible than you.
>
> IGN also said some models were hooked up to developer kit workstations
> and still others appeared to be playing from a Memory Stick.
>
> Get the UMD spinning with Wifi going and then report back what the
> battery life is.

I guess we didn't read the same article... because the one I read said they
were sitting on pedestals connected to IT only by a thin wire. They were
able to pick them up, hold them.. remove UMD's and all. While I'm sitting
here I will locate that article for you. The article states that there were
no AC adapters at all. Sony had the system tied to kiosks via a thin
key-chain-like chain. Unlike the E3 showing, the system wasn't bolted down,
allowing them to hold it in their hands. I apologize for exaggerating about
the actual 'time' as I didn't have the article in front of me, but IGN
stated that while being at the even for an hour the battery indicator never
moved, and they WERE playing games off of UMD's... sure it didn't include
the wifi, but it proved my point well enough. IGN promises to give the final
version out of Japan a brutal beating to see just how long it will last.
Hopefully for us sony wont pull an iPod move. www.ipodsdirtysecret.com

here's that article:

http://psp.ign.com/articles/549/549978p1.html

TGS 2004: PSP Hands-On
We try out the near-final retail version. Videos and pics included.

September 21, 2004 - While the new PlayStation 2 redesign caused the biggest
stir at Sony's PS Business Meeting 2004 today in Tokyo, there was another
big surprise waiting for those who stayed a bit following the event:
playable PSP units running five different games! And by playable, we mean
the real deal, as in you hold it in your hands, it runs games from a UMD, it
gets warm while you play it, and if you try and steal it, Ken Kutaragi
himself will tackle you.

Sony Computer Entertainment gave members of the press a preview of the Tokyo
Game Show PSP experience, readying five playable PSP units and one copy each
of Minna no Golf Portable, Dynasty Warriors (Shin Sangokumusou), Shin Ridge
Racer, Metal Gear Acid and Dokodemo Issho. We'll have impressions and videos
of the games in just a bit, but we first thought you'd like to hear how the
PSP itself holds up.
We got to try out one of the shiny, black units, which is expected to be the
final retail color (officially, SCE still won't comment on launch specifics,
including the final color). This glossy version of the system doesn't take
particularly well to flash photography, but you can be sure it will garner
some looks when you play it in public (along with some fast hands if you're
not careful). Sony had the system tied to kiosks via a thin key-chain-like
chain. Another thin wire connected the system to headphones.

Unlike the E3 showing, the system wasn't bolted down, allowing us to hold it
in our hands as we would a real portable game system. We suspected as much
at E3, but in practice, the PSP feels comfortable in the hand, with all the
buttons, and the analogue thumb pad, falling right into place. We actually
found the analogue thumb pad to be perfectly situated for making our pointer
fingers fall onto the shoulder buttons.

SCE revealed privately that the Tokyo Game Show version of the system will
be held a bit more firmly in place. We're not sure if people will actually
get to place their hands around the system and hold it up freely.

Our first try at the system was Metal Gear Acid. We managed to hog the
system for a good fifteen minutes before being pressured to move on. In that
time, we noticed that the system got a bit warm, particularly on the left
side (the D-pad side). We were, of course, expecting the system to heat up a
bit as it's played, and, in fact, the level of heat isn't too bad. The
system is certainly much cooler than our cell phones get when we play even
simple 2D games. Amazingly, the system is very quiet -- there doesn't seem
to be anything moving around to cool it off inside.

Because there were no AC adapter plugs coming out of the system, it seems
reasonable to assume that Sony had all the demos running through battery
power. We were at the trial event when it started and left an hour later;
the battery meter in the menu screen remained at three notches throughout.
You can read into that however you like. SCE is expected to reveal more
details on battery life at a later date (and if they don't, you can be sure
we'll put the final Japanese retail version through hell and back to
determine how long the battery lasts).

There had been some concern that Sony Computer Entertainment would make some
changes to the system's gorgeous screen. Ignoring the slightly dark look of
the games (which is possibly due to the brightness of the room in which the
demonstrations were taking place, and also possibly due to the system
running off batteries), the large, wide screen is just as gorgeous as it was
at E3. The amount of backlight can be adjusted by pressing a button that has
a picture of a monitor on it. There are three levels of brightness, with the
lowest setting a bit too hard to see in a bright environment, but probably
perfect for when playing in the dark. We were able to get a reasonable view
of other players' gaming sessions from an angle, although the viewing angle
for the PSP is clearly not as high as the latest LCD televisions.

The monitor button can also be used to enter the PSP's menu system. As
revealed in a story from earlier today, the PSP will make use of the cross
bar interface featured in the PSX system and on the latest plasma television
sets from Sony. This new feature wasn't in the version of the hardware we
were able to try. In its place, SCE had a blank screen containing
information on battery life. The menu system can be entered at any time,
with the game freezing, then resuming once you've exited the menu.

Other face buttons we were able to try out include the home button and the
button that has a music note on it. The home button was used in all games
that we played to pause the action, bringing up a menu that asked us if we
wanted to quit (none of the games actually let us select quit, though). The
system has start and select buttons as well, but these weren't used in any
of the games. The music note button toggles the sound on and off.

We're not sure if you'll want to actually play PSP with the sound off,
though, as we found the music to be one of the best parts of the experience.
We pushed the volume to max, and managed to get the system pumping out
bass-filled tunes and sound effects -- typical quality Sony sound, for
anyone who's experienced sound through a Sony MD player before. Having
played cartridge-based portable games for over a decade, the jump to
UMD-based games is like jumping from cartridges to CDs as far as sound is
concerned. Metal Gear in particular has a soundtrack you'll want to listen
to, with Minna no Golf retaining the humorous voices and sound effects you
expect from the series.

Although we were grateful with the amount of playtime we got with the
system, we were disappointed in SCE's lack of specifics launch plans. Prior
to the free play time, Sony Computer Entertainment leader Ken Kutaragi
stated that the price and release date for the system would not be revealed
until after the Tokyo Game Show. Apparently, SCE wants to get the reaction
of people and investors following their TGS experience with the system, and
will then announce launch specifics.

Kutaragi was actually asked during a Q&A session if he was aware that
Nintendo had just prior to the Sony event announced the price and release
date for the DS system. Kutaragi continued with the same line about the PSP
being a different product from the DS, one that offers up many forms of
entertainment. He did praise the Game Boy as being an excellent platform,
though.

Even though we'll have to wait until after TGS for specifics on the PSP's
launch, being able to hold it in our hands and play some of the games made
us want the system more than ever before. Be sure and check out the media
section of this story for a video of the PSP being played (there's some
footage of Minna no Golf and Shin Ridge Racer tucked away in there as well).
We'll have lots more on the PSP in the coming days.

-- Anoop Gantayat
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 7:15:59 AM

"PR Mega" <prmega@gamebox.net> wrote in

> "Radeon350" <Radeon350@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> all indications right now are that PSP will cost $300 at launch in
>> the U.S. and equivalent to that in Japan (33,000 yen).
>>
>> is that too much money for you?
>
> Frankly, yes. I mean, I've read the specs and seen the screen shots
> and everything, but I'm not yet convinced. People have been screaming
> "It plays music! The games are 3D! I'm gonna buy it the day it comes
> out!" but I don't know. I'm going to wait until it's been out a while
> before I decide; read some reviews, see how well it holds up. Besides,
> I'm not interested in re-buying my entire DVD collection in UMD
> format, I'm only interested in the gaming aspect. And $300 for a
> handheld? I'm hesitant to pay that for a home console. Personally, I
> have no intention of making the purchase on my faith in Sony. Once I
> know it's a good, reliable system with some *fun* games (and a price
> drop or two), then I'll see about picking one up. Until then, I've got
> my PS2 and GC for 3D fun, and my GBA SP for portable fun.

I too think that $300USD is too much. I've seen an article which says that
Sony won't release *any* UMD burners anywhere - even to PSP developers. Is
that true? I don't know. But without that functionality you've just got a
vastly overpriced toy (one-trick pony).

For myself, buying an X-Box (and games) would be a better investment.
Actually I might even be able to buy an X-Box and a GBA plus assorted games
for that price.

Besides, isn't content still king?
!