Newbie Builder Looking For Tips!

Eupheme

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Hello all!

This is the first computer I've ever built, i'm really very tired of my little HP notebook that I use for paper and such, so i'm looking to end that with a bang-for-your-buck gaming computer.

Heres the specs of what I have on my list at the moment:Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

Budget Range: 1200-1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I'm not picky, but Newegg sells quality products, so i'd prefer them or something close

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: No preference.

Overclocking: Maybe eventually, I think I want the i7 2600K, so the potential is there if I decide that's what I want.

Monitor Resolution: 1600/1200

Additional Comments: I have a basic map of what I have so far, but I could use tips to either fill it out or tone it down:

Processor:
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Quad Core 8000K

Mobo:
ASUS P8H67-M PRO,H67

Memory:
(2x) 4GB DDR3 1333 DIMM memory kits

Video Card:
GeForce GTX 570 1280MB

HDD:
1500.0GB Western Digital Green SATA2 UDMA 300 64m cache

Optical Drive:
LG 24x SATA DVD Recorder +R/RW -R/RW

Sound Card:
On Board

Network Card:
On Board (LAN)

Cases:
I'm not sure about this yet. I don't want to spend too much money here. I want an aesthetic one, but I also want one that serves cooling purposes.

Power Supply:
The wattage amounts actually confuse me. A friend of mine said a 700 Watt should do, but I could use some advice here.

Windows 7 Home Premium

My questions:
Is there anything on this list that isn't necessary for performance?
Is there anything that would increase performance substantially if I upgraded price effectively?
What should I do about an affordable, functional and/or aesthetic case?
What should my power supply be?

Cheers everyone.

cmadrid

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Drop down to an i5 2500k for gaming.. you wont get the extra $100 worth from the 2600k for gaming. Are you going to use more than 1 monitor? If not consider going down to a 560ti or 6950 GPU. Use the money saved this way to get a SSD. Get a 60-120gb ssd (unless you have plenty of $ for a bigger one) for your OS and some games.

As for the case and PSU. If you aren't going to use more than 1 card I'd go with a Corsair HX 650 or AX 750. I highly reccomend the Raven rv02-e case. They just did a case review on tom's, and its listed in it if you want a little info

Eupheme

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Already happy I posted here, I didn't know the 2500k and the 2600k performed the same in gaming. I vaguely remember looking at a pair of i7s and not understanding the difference tech wise, but I've honestly looked at so many processors, I don't remember if it was that couple.

Thanks so much for the advice.

cmadrid

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
You updated your first post while I was typing my first post! ;)

Be sure you get a p67 motherboard, not an H67. You cant really overclock on h67. The ASUS p8p67 pro or the ASRock extreme 4 are both pretty good.. I think I would go with the asrock mobo myself, but some are put off by their shorter warranty

Eupheme

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

I see, thats awesome that I can get the same performance processor-wise and maybe do some upgrades elsewhere. Any more suggestions for some more punch performance-wise? I've looked into the solid state drives, and now I think i'll do that with the extra money.

Is there another significant use of SSDs besides putting my OS on it?

Eupheme

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

Thanks for clearing that up. This leads me to my next question:
What kind of cooling do I need if I'm to overclock the graphics card?

mgf derp

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Generally you want a case with a lot of ventilation for one and then you want the graphics card you buy to have a non referance cooler. For the GTX 560Ti look at the MSI Twin Frozer II http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127594. If you are planning on getting a GTX 570 look at either the MSI Twin Frozer II http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127564 or the Asus DCu II http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121432. Hope this helps.