Sign in with
Your question

What should I get?

Last response: in Systems
June 6, 2011 5:38:37 AM

I began upgrading an older computer with very little knowledge and ended up with a new computer at the end. I only know a little more than the basics. So far I have:

CPU: i5 750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz
MOBO: ASUS P7P55D LE LGA 1156
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
VGA: EVGA GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache
PSU: Rosewill Xtreme Series 950W (I know it's overkill, it was a present)
Case: AZZA Solano 1000

If I were to upgrade what would be first? My guess was the mobo/cpu. For CPU I was thinking 2500k. I don't really have a price range but I'm not rich either.

Also in order to run SLI do I have to get a certain motherboard? I don't really know if that would be overkill in comparison to the rest of my computer. Either way it is a future thought. My PC is for gaming by the way...

More about : question

a b B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2011 5:54:27 AM

Is this a gaming computer? If so, I would try to upgrade the GPU first. Unfortunately, your mobo doesn't support SLI, so I would consider selling the 460 and getting say a 6950. What's the resolution? The CPU and RAM, etc. still should perform well, so I wouldn't switch platforms just yet.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2011 5:59:22 AM

Why do you think you need an upgrade? As I see it now your rig is capable of playing almost every game at max at 1080p. Have you overclocked your 460 beyond stock? A 2500k imho wouldn't be enough of an upgrade to justify the cost of a new cpu and mobo.
m
l
Related resources
June 6, 2011 6:06:46 AM

Gaming, and the resolution is an LG tv @ 1920x1080. Would I get very much for selling the 460? It has a lifetime limited warranty which I did register.
m
l
June 6, 2011 6:13:03 AM

@MGF Derp: Some of my games still seem to be a bit slideshow like. I don't know if it's just no good drivers for the GTX 460 or what. For instance Crysis hasn't improved from my 9800Gt 1gb GDDR3. It is still kinda laggy on just high. Borderlands' videos are slideshow-ish when the camera moves quickly.

I hear you on the cpu and mobo. I just wasn't sure if that's the problem.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2011 6:16:33 AM

Amazon has it used going for $145 lowest listed. http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-PCI-Express-Gra.... Really depends on where/how you sell it and how much you want for it. If you are planning to upgrade your graphics card (and at this point I don't recommend it) what would you upgrade too? And also what games do you play? This will help in future hardware recommendations.
m
l
June 6, 2011 6:23:56 AM

New VGA is what jbakerlent suggested, and to a 5950.

It's ever-expanding, but Games like Borderlands, Crysis, Fallout 1-NV, Far Cry, GTA 4, Just Cause 2, Left 4 Dead, Mass Effect 1-2, Metro 2033 Portal 1-2, Elder Scrolls 1-4, and other low end games including all the way down to DOS.

I also plan on getting new games like Mass Effect 3 and TES5: Skyrim
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2011 6:34:42 AM

I just don't think you need an upgrade at this point imho and not to be rude. Are you getting any issues where you cant play at a desired quality level or resolution or something of that nature?
m
l
June 6, 2011 6:41:11 AM

I was meaning more along future lines. I'm still not sure if I picked out a balanced system. It is my first and only custom build. I know the best hardware changes often, but I was meaning when it comes time to upgrade, what should be first.

I am having minor lag issues with Borderlands, but that seems to happen whatever resolution I put it on. Crysis performs laggy on just high, even after upgrading from a 9800gt it seems the same. I wasn't sure if somethings getting bottle necked or if the GTX 460s drivers just aren't good for those games.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 6, 2011 6:56:26 AM

Why you have lag in those games is a mystery to me. And you are correct about tech ever changing but as it stands now your pc is a very capable machine. When the time comes I feel it will be your graphics card that will need an upgrade. As for the time being I suggest you try and overclock it if you haven't yet. It takes five minutes, is super simple, and will increase your performance. Use MSI Afterburnerhttp://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm and read this guide to help you get started http://www.bjorn3d.com/articles/Overclocking_with_MSI_A.... I know its not for a GTX 460 but should give you a good starting idea. Just my .02 if you have any ore questions post them or pm me and I will try and answer them. By the way I would love to have your pc, my roommate has one that is 99% similar except he has a 6870 instead of a 460 and he loves it and plays borderlands maxed at 1080p
m
l
June 6, 2011 7:01:02 AM

I am very satisfied with my PC, I was just worried I screwed something up. I think most of the problems I'm having are probably software related. Thank you for your help!
m
l
!