Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Forgot wireless security key

Last response: in Wireless Networking
December 2, 2010 10:35:22 AM

Hello,
Hello,
Help please! I cannot remember my security key for my wireless network and would like to be able to connect my to it. I've read through the answers in the forum - which are great but...I found out my IP address in windows network manager and then put it into the internet browser as intructed but it doesn't get me anywhere - either I get a 'server timed out message' or a 'this page appears to be broken message' so I can't go any further. Is there another way or am I doing something wrong? Its a BT homehub. I'm wondering if I should just go and buy a new wireless modem but I'm no computer genius and will probably not be able to get that to work either!
December 2, 2010 3:54:33 PM

Hello,

What OS are you using and is this a laptop? Before you do the steps below, make sure the ethernet cable is connected to the router in the correct spot (the LAN jacks, not the WAN) or one of 4 jacks, not the 1 thats kinda by itself.

Grumpy posted this for your love:

Go Start then Run in XP - Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7, then type in the following, including all the spaces:-

cmd /k ipconfig /all

then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the Default Gateway icon - something like 192.168.0.1. You might have to scroll around to find the group of data under the heading "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection". Ignore the data for other network devices, like "Wireless Network Adapter" or various "tunnels"

After you do this, please tell me the results. Then proceed to try this:

Type exit to close the black form or clock the x box in the right hand corner.

Open Internet Explorer and enter that code (The Default Gateway IP address) into the URL address bar as though it was a website. You're then at the login page to the router's settings utility and admin will usually be the login with either admin or password as the password.

If you're in, seek out Wireless and then Security and take a note of the key. Sometimes it may be a passphrase, some a simple set of letters and others a hexadecimal code. You also may as well note which level of security it is - WEP, WPA or WPA/PSK 2 and then either AES or TKIP. Your computer will already know this but it's handy information to store. Note also that hexadecimal only contains numbers from zero to 9 and letters a to f so there's no confusion of I and O with 1 and 0.

Keep a note of that security key in My Documents and also outside the computer so you don't have to go through this again and I don't have to write it all out.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
December 3, 2010 9:30:18 AM

This topic has been closed by Grumpy9117
!