• Sapphire
  • HD
  • Dual Bios
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 25, 2011 8:56:28 AM

Hi Guys,

I am totally Frustrated to find my new HD 6950 2GB From Sapphire had no Dual Bios Switch. Infact it was totally Different, that I had to check it with the website. There is no details about the non-inclusion of Dual bios Switch in the website too..
I feel so cheated.. Kindly help me guys... Or I am not seeing the exact place for the switch?

My card : http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&...

Original Card:http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?leg=&...

Please help me soon

Regards,

Arun.S

More about : dual bios switch sapphire 6950 2gb

March 25, 2011 5:09:59 PM

I have that card and I think your right... I'm kinda mad myself if its true cause I wanted to flash it.
Score
Related resources
March 26, 2011 4:34:36 AM

That's why I don't buy non-reference models.
Score

Best solution

March 26, 2011 4:42:22 AM

the non-reference cards dont have the dual bios switch. anything with upgraded cooling, factory OCed, etc.
the switch is located beside where a xfire bridge would plug in.

March 26, 2011 4:44:34 AM

The best advice I can give is return it and get a referenced version if your main concern is flashing the bios. I'm not sure but I don't think a dual bios is necessary for flashing the card. I think its more of a safeguard if anything goes wrong. I could be wrong tho. I've flashed HIS, XFX, and Powercolor successfully and they were all reference models.
Score
March 26, 2011 7:40:05 PM

I heard flashing it with a 6950 bios was safer so how do I do that lol.
Score
a c 678 U Graphics card
March 26, 2011 9:47:55 PM

Don't even try to flash a custom 6950 into a 6970, particularly one that doesn't have the dual BIOS switch.
Score
a c 678 U Graphics card
March 26, 2011 10:03:36 PM

Actually, I recommending to not do it because of reviews I have read of the Asus 6950 DirectCU, which clearly stated that it was impossible to flash to a 6970 on that card.

Anyway, the boost in performance is only a little bit more than simply overclocking the card. With a custom design, you should be able to oveclock more than a reference design, so maybe the overall gain from overclocking is more than the full BIOS flash on a reference design.

Score
March 29, 2011 4:43:02 PM

Yeah, I just got this card as well, thinking it would have the same PCB layout as the newly announced Sapphire 6950 FLEX, which is supposed to have the switch. It doesn't :(  While I would like more performance for free (and you wouldn't?) this cooling design is VASTLY superior to reference. Up to 40% fan (which is the highest I've seen it go) I cant hear it over my case/cpu fans. And at the lower (and quieter) speeds it stays on top of the core temp better. I can say this with confidence because I just dropped off a Sapphire reference 6950-2gb to UPS for the RMA.

I can live with that. I'll be keeping an eye out for those that are daring enough to try an unlock anyways.

(referring to 100312-2SR http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
Score
a c 678 U Graphics card
March 29, 2011 4:51:36 PM

Scabies said:
I can live with that. I'll be keeping an eye out for those that are daring enough to try an unlock anyways.
(referring to 100312-2SR http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)

I don't know if "daring" would be the best word to describe it.
Score
April 12, 2011 10:33:35 PM

Hey guys. I'm so confused. I'm trying to buy hd6950 with dual bios but can't tell which ones have them. Any way possible to list the item numbers? Much appreciated.
Score
April 13, 2011 4:53:04 AM

quickxs said:
Hey guys. I'm so confused. I'm trying to buy hd6950 with dual bios but can't tell which ones have them. Any way possible to list the item numbers? Much appreciated.

im with you on that one, ive been doing my research and cant figure out which ones are which really.
Score
April 13, 2011 8:53:20 AM

andrew6655321 said:
im with you on that one, ive been doing my research and cant figure out which ones are which really.

Reference 2GB models have them.

You can tell its a reference model by its fan and if it has the AMD logo on the PCI Express connector.

Reference models are always at the end of the card for that model (if its in the middle or dual fan then its non-reference). And if you zoom in on the PCI Express connector it should have an AMD logo on it which is only put on reference models.
Score
April 14, 2011 10:04:34 PM

quickxs said:

did you guys miss this pick that i posted on 3/26? if there is no switch near the crossfire bridge then it doesnt have the dual bios and cannot (should not?) be flashed.

Score
April 16, 2011 10:52:27 AM

actually, it still might be possible to try on the non-reference design, non dual-BIOS switch, and even 1gb models

but not by flashing with a hd 6970 BIOS

instead, use a modified BIOS of your hd 6950 with those extra shaders unlocked
then OC to hd 6970 specs (using unoficial overclocking and changing the voltages manually)

Its less safer to flash using the hd 6970 BIOS since even PEOPLE WITH REFERENCE DESIGN HD 6950's have started to complain months after flashing their cards with a hd 6970 BIOS,

this is because If you flash a hd 6950 with a hd 6970 BIOS, a number of things happen,

1 the hd 6970 BIOS makes the card run on 880Mhz core and 1375Mhz memory (these are stock hd 6970 frequencies)

2 the hd 6970 BIOS also makes the core voltage run on 117mV so as feed the frequencies (this is also stock hd 6970 voltage)

All of the above is ususally fine for a hd 6950, the problem comes when that hd 6970 BIOS also changes the voltages/memory timings of the memory of the hd 6950. the memory of the hd 6950 DOES NOT SUPPORT THE MEMORY TIMINGS AND VOLTAGES OF A HD 6970 so the card gets damages immediately or over time.THEIR MEMORY IS DIFFERENT.

Thats why the safer option is to edit the BIOS of your hd 6950 to unlock the shaders,flash it with that edited BIOS, then oc to stock hd 6970 specs (frequencies shown above) this leaves the memory of the hd 6950 untouched.

there is no guarantee that you will be 100% successful in flashing your card be it reference or non-reference, BUT the way is alot safer, thats the point, there is still always a chance that you can brick your card since it does not have a backup BIOS.

check techpowerup forums on the last pages.

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1371...

read from page 85-latest recommended, thay have all info you mught need to make an informed choice.

also on page 87 there is a guy who tells how he unbricked (revived his card after a bad flash) you could try it if it happens to you.
Score
April 27, 2011 1:55:10 PM

Best answer selected by arunloveshacking.
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
April 27, 2011 7:22:13 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!