Which ram to buy

thelivingflesh

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
Hello, everyone....
I got these choices...
My main work is

1> Loading maps, working editing on map editors, compiling huge maps
2> Playing games on 2560X1600 resolutions , metro2033,diablo3,crysis,sims3,dragonage etc.
3> Rendering

The board i am using is asrock z68 extreme 4 gen 3 with an ivybridge i7

I dont know if it supports quad channel or not.This is the list of rams i have to get one from. Dont mind the prices, i am in a place where they only have these options, none other and cant buy online...somewhere in alaska! anyway!

DOMINATOR-GT DDR3 6GB-1866 2GX3 (CMT6GX3M3A1866C9) for 90$

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LOW DDR3 4GB-1600 2GX2 (CML4GX3M2A1600C9) for 40$

CORSAIR VENGEANCE DDR3 4GB-2000 2GX2 (CMZ4GX3M2A2000C1) for 60$

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

You might provide links to your ram candidates.

First of all,
You want documented ram compatibility. If you should ever have a problem, you want supported ram.
Otherwise, you risk a finger pointing battle between the ram and motherboard support sites, claiming "not my problem".
One place to check is your motherboards web site.
Look for the ram QVL list. It lists all of the ram kits that have been tested with that particular motherboard.
Sometimes the QVL list is not updated after the motherboard is released.
For more current info, go to a ram vendor's web site and access their ram selection configurator.
Enter your motherboard, and you will get a list of compatible ram kits.
While today's motherboards are more tolerant of different ram, it makes sense to buy ram that is known to work and is supported.

The current Intel cpu's have an excellent integrated ram controller. It is able to keep the cpu fed with data from any speed ram.
The difference in real application performance or FPS between the fastest and slowest ram is on the order of 1-3%.

Synthetic benchmark differences will be impressive, but are largely irrelevant in the real world.

Fancy heat spreaders are mostly marketing too.

Your Z68 motherboard will support only single or dual channel; not quad. It is a moot point since ram speed does not mean very much in real app performance.

Only if you are seeking record level overclocks should you consider faster ram or better latencies.
Read this Anandtech article on memory scaling:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3/1

I suspect that the 6gb kit will have higher than recommended voltage of 1.5v

If you can, get a 8gb kit, assuming you are running a 64 bit version of an OS.
The extra ram will allow the os to keep more code in ram, available for instant reuse.