Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Hey,

Building a computer for a mate, he has no interest in overclocking, just decent stock performance. Will a 650w PSU be enough for the following system:

CPU - i7 2600
Heatsink - Gelid Tranquillo
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H
Mem - 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 1866Mhz, CL 9
Storage - OCZ Agility 3 120GB + 4 hard drives.

Plus a DVD player and he may add a sound card at a later date.

Thanks

Absolutely, yes. If he is wanting to add a graphics card, then he will have to make sure then that it will be enough, but as you listed, no problem at all. What brand PSU are you thinking about if you dont mind?

Best thing to do for now, if the price is in the range, to get something much bigger then your friend can expand if he chooses later on down the road. Antec, and Corsair, and seasonic are the brands to get right now as far as stability and longevity of use.

seagate? i think yo mean seasonic, seagate make hard drives. But yeah, dont expect a $30 psu labelled at 600w to put out its rated power or last very long, cheap psu's are not worth the drama, stick to the brands mantioned and you cant go wrong./

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
AH damn I completely forgot to add a GPU!

He is gonna get The Gainward GTX 580 Phantom too.

@Flint - The PSU is the Corsair TX 650. I think its the old model tho. This is an upgrade from an old PC rather than a fresh build.

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
It'll work completely fine. I still run a TX 750 in mine and the new V2 is more of an update to than a replacement to be honest.

You're friend is find! Nice system he has by the way...

cuecuemore

Distinguished

Do you know how much power a GTX 580 draws? With a full overvolt and max clocks, you won't even break 600w DC on the entire system.

TRENDING THREADS