Anyone know *why* the DS isn't the next GameBoy?

Last response: in Video Games
September 23, 2004 5:58:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

Anyone know the reasons why Nintendo have decided not to make the DS the
next GameBoy?

More about : gameboy

Anonymous
September 23, 2004 5:58:20 PM

On 2004-09-23, Vitani <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote:
> Anyone know the reasons why Nintendo have decided not to make the DS the
> next GameBoy?

Because Nintendo doesn't want people to stop buying the Advance while they
try their little experiment.

Preston
September 23, 2004 7:31:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

If they don't want people stop buying the advance, how come DS let you play
GBA games?

Doesn't make sense to have both of them.

"Preston Crawford" <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote in message
> On 2004-09-23, Vitani <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote:
> > Anyone know the reasons why Nintendo have decided not to make the DS the
> > next GameBoy?
>
> Because Nintendo doesn't want people to stop buying the Advance while they
> try their little experiment.
>
> Preston
Related resources
September 23, 2004 7:31:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

Because:
a) it doesn't support GB or GBC games
b) it doesn't support multiplayer GBA games
c) it doesn't support GBA attachments (lights, etc.)
d) Nintendo stated they are already developing GBA 2 (which will come out
either '05 or '06, depending on the success of the DS)

"poop" <poop@poop.net> wrote in message
> If they don't want people stop buying the advance, how come DS let you
> play
> GBA games?
>
> Doesn't make sense to have both of them.
>
> "Preston Crawford" <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote in message
>> On 2004-09-23, Vitani <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote:
>> > Anyone know the reasons why Nintendo have decided not to make the DS
>> > the
>> > next GameBoy?
>>
>> Because Nintendo doesn't want people to stop buying the Advance while
>> they
>> try their little experiment.
>>
>> Preston

Anonymous
September 23, 2004 8:33:15 PM

On 2004-09-23, poop <poop@poop.net> wrote:
> If they don't want people stop buying the advance, how come DS let you play
> GBA games?
>
> Doesn't make sense to have both of them.

It's because they're trying to have it both ways. They want to go with the
DS, but they don't want to kill off the Advance in the process (even
though they are, arguably).

Preston

> "Preston Crawford" <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote in message
>> On 2004-09-23, Vitani <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote:
>> > Anyone know the reasons why Nintendo have decided not to make the DS the
>> > next GameBoy?
>>
>> Because Nintendo doesn't want people to stop buying the Advance while they
>> try their little experiment.
>>
>> Preston

Anonymous
September 23, 2004 8:34:47 PM

On 2004-09-23, fuzzylogic <fuzzylogic@perlmad.net> wrote:
> Because:
> a) it doesn't support GB or GBC games
> b) it doesn't support multiplayer GBA games
> c) it doesn't support GBA attachments (lights, etc.)
> d) Nintendo stated they are already developing GBA 2 (which will come out
> either '05 or '06, depending on the success of the DS)

I think (d) is a lie, personally. I think they may have a GBA2 in
development as a face-saving move, but I truly believe they think the DS
is the way to go and they're willing to kill the GBA, development-wise on
that gamble.

Preston

> "poop" <poop@poop.net> wrote in message
>> If they don't want people stop buying the advance, how come DS let you
>> play
>> GBA games?
>>
>> Doesn't make sense to have both of them.
>>
>> "Preston Crawford" <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Because Nintendo doesn't want people to stop buying the Advance while
>>> they
>>> try their little experiment.
>>>
>>> Preston

Anonymous
September 24, 2004 2:39:09 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

Let it be known that on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:58:19 GMT, Vitani
<inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote:

>Anyone know the reasons why Nintendo have decided not to make the DS the
>next GameBoy?

Different qudiences. The Gameboy will be intended for the younger audience,
while the DS will be aimed at teens and older.
September 24, 2004 3:36:44 AM

> I think (d) is a lie, personally. I think they may have a GBA2 in
> development as a face-saving move, but I truly believe they think the DS
> is the way to go and they're willing to kill the GBA, development-wise on
> that gamble.
>
> Preston

I completely agree. GBA SP killed the standard GBA in a matter of months and
it wasn't supposed to be a replacement, either.
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 10:33:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

crossbone <crossbone@crossbone.com> wrote in

> Let it be known that on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:58:19 GMT, Vitani
> <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote:
>
>>Anyone know the reasons why Nintendo have decided not to make the DS
>>the next GameBoy?
>
> Different qudiences. The Gameboy will be intended for the younger
> audience, while the DS will be aimed at teens and older.

It's not, and it won't.
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 2:49:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:58:19 GMT, Vitani <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote:

>Anyone know the reasons why Nintendo have decided not to make the DS the
>next GameBoy?

Because the DS is an experimental system, and although they're pretty
confident that it'll do well (confident enough to spend millions
developing and marketting it, at least), they're not confident enough
to pin the Gameboy name on it.

There's basically 2 ways that things can go:
1) The DS does well, in which case the GB and DS lines merge into
one, with the next GB aquiring most/all of the DS features (double
screens, stylus interface, etc.) In this case, it'll probably be a
while until we see the next GB (2007 or later, though the timing will
depend on how well the PSP is doing.)
2) The DS flops. If this happens, Nintendo will rush a traditional
next-gen GB to market as fast as they can (probably 2006, 2005 if they
can possibly manage it.) Nintendo will be able to market the system
with the 'untainted' Gameboy name, which they wouldn't if the DS had
been marketted as a GB.
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 3:22:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Because it's just a PSP killer. Once Sony learns its lesson to not mess
with the Dom, they'll go back to the Gameboy.

"Vitani" <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote in message
> Anyone know the reasons why Nintendo have decided not to make the DS the
> next GameBoy?
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 6:33:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,rec.games.video.sony (More info?)

Vitani <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote in message news:<%DA4d.62$ub5.35@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>...
> Anyone know the reasons why Nintendo have decided not to make the DS the
> next GameBoy?

most of those that already replied gave some pretty good reasons, so I
can only restate some of these and add some more reasons.

a.) the DS is Nintendo's third leg in a triad of gaming machines.
Their so-called third pillar.

b.) DS is not called GameBoy, otherwise it would be the next GameBoy
:)

c.) Nintendo does not want this experimental system to have the
GameBoy name because if DS flops, it would seriously damage GameBoy's
prestine good name.

d.) Nintendo has a next-gen GameBoy in development. It's been in
development since 2001 or earlier. Nintendo publically announced GBA
sucessor's development in 2002 along with a sucessor to Gamecube.
Nintendo Research & Engineering is handling the development of the new
GameBoy while Nintendo Technology Development in the U.S. and Nintendo
Integrated Research & Development in Japan is working on Revolution,
the sucessor to Gamecube.

e.) Nintendo has stated directly and through the media numerous times
that DS is not a sucessor to either GameBoy Advance or Gamecube, and
their sucessors are still in development.

depending on the how well DS is recieved, and especially how well PSP
does and how much PSP is hurting GBA and Nintendo overall, the next
GameBoy should arrive in 2006, or 2007 at the latest. the next GameBoy
will compete head on with PSP. Nintendo has the advantage of working
with ATI which could possibily allow for superior graphics compared to
PSP and a lower price.
September 24, 2004 9:29:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Get real to PSP will wipe the floor with the DS............

Fred Liken wrote:
> Because it's just a PSP killer. Once Sony learns its lesson to not
> mess with the Dom, they'll go back to the Gameboy.
>
> "Vitani" <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote in message
>> Anyone know the reasons why Nintendo have decided not to make the DS
>> the next GameBoy?
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 9:29:03 PM

"DaViD" <dbedford@dsl.pipex.com> wrote
> Fred Liken wrote:
> > Because it's just a PSP killer. Once Sony learns its lesson to not
> > mess with the Dom, they'll go back to the Gameboy.

> Get real to PSP will wipe the floor with the DS............

Sorry, but history says no. :(  So many historical factors are against the
PSP. Late, unsuitable media, poor design (Atari Lynx, anyone?), uninspired
games, etc. It's over already.
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 12:44:24 AM

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in

> "DaViD" <dbedford@dsl.pipex.com> wrote
>> Fred Liken wrote:
>> > Because it's just a PSP killer. Once Sony learns its lesson to not
>> > mess with the Dom, they'll go back to the Gameboy.
>
>> Get real to PSP will wipe the floor with the DS............
>
> Sorry, but history says no. :(  So many historical factors are
> against the PSP. Late, unsuitable media, poor design (Atari Lynx,
> anyone?), uninspired games, etc. It's over already.

You guys are buying lottery tickets, right?

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 2:51:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

Let it be known that on 24 Sep 2004 06:33:22 GMT, Joe Ottoson
<grover@landfill.com> wrote:

>crossbone <crossbone@crossbone.com> wrote in
>
>> Let it be known that on Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:58:19 GMT, Vitani
>> <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone know the reasons why Nintendo have decided not to make the DS
>>>the next GameBoy?
>>
>> Different qudiences. The Gameboy will be intended for the younger
>> audience, while the DS will be aimed at teens and older.
>>
>It's not, and it won't.

You're right. It comes built in with picto-chat and a demo of Metorid.
Obivously this is aimed at the little kiddies....
September 25, 2004 4:04:22 AM

"Ray Blaak" <rAYblaaK@STRIPCAPStelus.net> wrote in message

> The only thing I don't like about the SP is that it does not have a
> headphone
> jack. How could they miss that?

it does lack a standard stereo minijack plug, but it does support them.
Majesco makes officially licensed headphones for the SP which retail at
around $10 at Wal-Mart.
September 25, 2004 2:43:26 PM

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> "DaViD" <dbedford@dsl.pipex.com> wrote
> > Fred Liken wrote:
> > > Because it's just a PSP killer. Once Sony learns its lesson to not
> > > mess with the Dom, they'll go back to the Gameboy.
>
> > Get real to PSP will wipe the floor with the DS............
>
> Sorry, but history says

Wha........WHa...........WHAT?!?!?!?!

The only thing that history shows us is it is made today to be history
tomorrow.
History has shown me that if it wasn't for Nintendo's arrogance in the 1st
place, Sony wouldn't be the market leader today in console gaming. Maybe
that history will repeat itself, hey?
How can you discount Sony after what they have already done in the gaming
market?
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 2:46:29 AM

"fuzzylogic" <fuzzylogic@perlmad.net> writes:
> > The only thing I don't like about the SP is that it does not have a
> > headphone jack. How could they miss that?
>
> it does lack a standard stereo minijack plug, but it does support them.
> Majesco makes officially licensed headphones for the SP which retail at
> around $10 at Wal-Mart.

Well, I'll be damned. I'll go check it out. Thanks.

--
Cheers, The Rhythm is around me,
The Rhythm has control.

> Let it be known that on 24 Sep 2004 06:33:22 GMT, Joe Ottoson
> <grover@landfill.com> wrote:
>
>>crossbone <crossbone@crossbone.com> wrote in

>>> Different qudiences. The Gameboy will be intended for the younger
>>> audience, while the DS will be aimed at teens and older.
>>>
>>It's not, and it won't.
>
> You're right. It comes built in with picto-chat and a demo of Metorid.
> Obivously this is aimed at the little kiddies....

Yeah those kiddies have picto chat and Metroid.
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 3:52:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

Ray Blaak <rAYblaaK@STRIPCAPStelus.net> wrote:
> Well, I'll be damned. I'll go check it out. Thanks.

Also, Nintendo sells adaptors that make any headphone work with the SP. The
AC Plug on the SP can be used to have audio-out via a tiny (1in) adapter
with a standard headphone jack on the other end. I think the official ones
are online-exclusive to the Nintendo store.

--
-----------
Deep Thought

On 2004-09-25, DeepThought <deep.42.thought@gmailEARTH.com> wrote:
> Ray Blaak <rAYblaaK@STRIPCAPStelus.net> wrote:
>> Well, I'll be damned. I'll go check it out. Thanks.
>
> Also, Nintendo sells adaptors that make any headphone work with the SP. The
> AC Plug on the SP can be used to have audio-out via a tiny (1in) adapter
> with a standard headphone jack on the other end. I think the official ones
> are online-exclusive to the Nintendo store.

My local game shop has a stack of them. If you want one I can Ebay one.
It's only $10.

Preston
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 3:16:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

Let it be known that on Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:19:23 GMT, "sdfsdf"
<sdfddf@dsfsd.net> wrote:

>and also the PSP's disks hold more room than DS's carts. That was one of the
>reasons why Playstation beated out the Nintendo 64.

The DS is going to have a longer battery life than the PSP. That was one of the
reasons why the Gameboy beated out the Game Gear.
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 2:34:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

You're an idiot, right?

"Aaron J. Bossig" <linkvb06@spammersWillBeExecuted.ptd.net> wrote in message
> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in

> >> Get real to PSP will wipe the floor with the DS............
> >
> > Sorry, but history says no. :(  So many historical factors are
> > against the PSP. Late, unsuitable media, poor design (Atari Lynx,
> > anyone?), uninspired games, etc. It's over already.
>

> You guys are buying lottery tickets, right?
>
> --
>
> Aaron J. Bossig
>
> http://www.GodsLabRat.com
> http://www.dvdverdict.com
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 2:36:14 PM

"dementia" <bkr.me@u> wrote in message

> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> >
> > > Get real to PSP will wipe the floor with the DS............
> >
> > Sorry, but history says
>
> Wha........WHa...........WHAT?!?!?!?!
>
> The only thing that history shows us is it is made today to be history
> tomorrow.
> History has shown me that if it wasn't for Nintendo's arrogance in the 1st
> place, Sony wouldn't be the market leader today in console gaming. Maybe
> that history will repeat itself, hey?
> How can you discount Sony after what they have already done in the gaming
> market?

Anonymous
September 27, 2004 2:39:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"dementia" <bkr.me@u> wrote in message

> > > Get real to PSP will wipe the floor with the DS............

> > Sorry, but history says

> Wha........WHa...........WHAT?!?!?!?!

> The only thing that history shows us is it is made today to be history
> tomorrow.

Sigh... :(

> History has shown me that if it wasn't for Nintendo's arrogance in the 1st
> place, Sony wouldn't be the market leader today in console gaming.

Wow... and you fail to realize that the lesson was learned? That they're
under different management now?

> Maybe that history will repeat itself, hey?

Not likely.

> How can you discount Sony after what they have already done in the gaming
> market?

Because they remind me of old Nintendo, at this point.
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 2:43:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"sdfsdf" <sdfddf@dsfsd.net> wrote

> and also the PSP's disks hold more room than DS's carts. That was one of
the
> reasons why Playstation beated out the Nintendo 64.

Right... not a major reason, but then again, that was a set top box...
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 9:41:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

PSP's battery life hasn't been confirmed yet.

"crossbone" <crossbone@crossbone.com> wrote in message

> The DS is going to have a longer battery life than the PSP. That was one
of the
> reasons why the Gameboy beated out the Game Gear.
September 28, 2004 1:16:53 AM

> "dementia" <bkr.me@u> wrote in message

> > > Sorry, but history says
>
> > Wha........WHa...........WHAT?!?!?!?!
>
> > The only thing that history shows us is it is made today to be history
> > tomorrow.
>
> Sigh... :(
>
> > History has shown me that if it wasn't for Nintendo's arrogance in the
1st
> > place, Sony wouldn't be the market leader today in console gaming.
>
> Wow... and you fail to realize that the lesson was learned?

Hell no, I don't see that even a lil bit.
The GC, IMHO, is doing poorly.

> That they're
> under different management now?

Since when, it sure isn't showing of late.

> > Maybe that history will repeat itself, hey?
>
> Not likely.

Considering Sony has crushed Nintendo for going on a decade now I don't see
why they can't have a chance in the handheld market as well.

> > How can you discount Sony after what they have already done in the
gaming
> > market?
>
> Because they remind me of old Nintendo, at this point.

Nope, no one is as ignorant as Nintendo
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 12:51:03 PM

Radeon350@yahoo.com (Radeon350) wrote in message news:<ab1f5a92.0409241333.72704eea@posting.google.com>...
> Vitani <inativ@tfosxft.moc> wrote in message news:<%DA4d.62$ub5.35@newsfe6-win.ntli.net>...
> > Anyone know the reasons why Nintendo have decided not to make the DS the
> > next GameBoy?
>

> most of those that already replied gave some pretty good reasons, so I
> can only restate some of these and add some more reasons.
>
> a.) the DS is Nintendo's third leg in a triad of gaming machines.
> Their so-called third pillar.
>
> b.) DS is not called GameBoy, otherwise it would be the next GameBoy
> :)
>
> c.) Nintendo does not want this experimental system to have the
> GameBoy name because if DS flops, it would seriously damage GameBoy's
> prestine good name.
>
> d.) Nintendo has a next-gen GameBoy in development. It's been in
> development since 2001 or earlier. Nintendo publically announced GBA
> sucessor's development in 2002 along with a sucessor to Gamecube.
> Nintendo Research & Engineering is handling the development of the new
> GameBoy while Nintendo Technology Development in the U.S. and Nintendo
> Integrated Research & Development in Japan is working on Revolution,
> the sucessor to Gamecube.
>
> e.) Nintendo has stated directly and through the media numerous times
> that DS is not a sucessor to either GameBoy Advance or Gamecube, and
> their sucessors are still in development.
>

> depending on the how well DS is recieved, and especially how well PSP
> does and how much PSP is hurting GBA and Nintendo overall, the next
> GameBoy should arrive in 2006, or 2007 at the latest. the next GameBoy
> will compete head on with PSP. Nintendo has the advantage of working
> with ATI which could possibily allow for superior graphics compared to
> PSP and a lower price

The Nintendo Ds is just another of Gaming Like the PSP and I belive
this Ds wil be successful Because Nintendo dared to take chance...
Game boy was a on a chance.. and the ill fated (vitrua boy) but the DS
hobefully will surpass gaming and bring the compact market up a level
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 2:32:17 PM

> > Because they remind me of old Nintendo, at this point.
>
> Nope, no one is as ignorant as Nintendo

Oops. Had me thinking you might actually be more than a fanboy zombie, up
until this comment.
September 28, 2004 5:54:27 PM

> "dementia" <bkr.me@u> wrote in message
>
> > > Because they remind me of old Nintendo, at this point.
> >
> > Nope, no one is as ignorant as Nintendo
>
> Oops. Had me thinking you might actually be more than a fanboy zombie, up
> until this comment.

If that isn't the hooker accusing someone else of being a slut/whore.
simply put: irony at it's best
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 5:54:28 PM

"dementia" <bkr.me@u> wrote

> If that isn't the hooker accusing someone else of being a slut/whore.
> simply put: irony at it's best

I do not think that word means what you think it means...
September 28, 2004 5:55:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> "dementia" <bkr.me@u> wrote in message
>
> > > Because they remind me of old Nintendo, at this point.
> >
> > Nope, no one is as ignorant as Nintendo
>
> Oops. Had me thinking you might actually be more than a fanboy zombie, up
> until this comment.

btw, what exactly am I a fanboy of?
I own almost every system "EVER" made
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 5:55:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"dementia" <bkr.me@u> wrote

> > > Nope, no one is as ignorant as Nintendo

> > Oops. Had me thinking you might actually be more than a fanboy zombie,
up
> > until this comment.

> btw, what exactly am I a fanboy of?
> I own almost every system "EVER" made

Telestar?

Oh, and I said they remind me of Nintendo... so I guess that isn't really in
line with a fanboy, now is it? They don't tend to diss the company they are
fanboys of, do they, Corky?

So, why don't you run along and keep spouting your bias.
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 4:01:51 PM

On 9/28/04 12:55 PM, in article 4NWdnTj5dcseOMTcRVn-vA@suscom.com,
"dementia" <bkr.me@u> wrote:

> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
>> "dementia" <bkr.me@u> wrote in message

>>> Nope, no one is as ignorant as Nintendo
>>
>> Oops. Had me thinking you might actually be more than a fanboy zombie, up
>> until this comment.
>
> btw, what exactly am I a fanboy of?
> I own almost every system "EVER" made

You are a fanboy of not agreeing with him/her. It's the classic, you have to
agree with me or you must be a fanboy statement.

RickB
September 29, 2004 6:02:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message

yup, as I figured, you have no response other then more nonsense and
insults.
btw, since when is the truth flamming, dipshit?

oh, and Nintendo was #1 in the console market before Sony launched the PS1
and I'm more partial to my XBox then the PS2 or GC
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 7:17:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.spacebastards (More info?)

"dementia" <bkr.me@u> wrote

> yup, as I figured, you have no response

Yup, as I figured, you would ignore the proof you are a fanboy pimple
farmer.

> btw, since when is the truth flamming, dipshit?

Oh yes, the "truth", as you put it, is that Nintendo is stupid... Gotcha...
Ask your mommy why, because I haven't the patience to work you through the
logic and I'm sure since she's the one that was on Accutane when you were
conceived that she's had a lot more experience lacing your orthopedic clogs.

> oh, and Nintendo was #1 in the console market before Sony launched the PS1
> and I'm more partial to my XBox then the PS2 or GC

The word's "than", Corky McDribbleChin. Oh, there I go again;
overestimating your abilities as a handincapable coochie slug.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 4:35:34 PM

> Let it be known that on Sun, 26 Sep 2004 22:19:23 GMT, "sdfsdf"
> <sdfddf@dsfsd.net> wrote:
>
>>and also the PSP's disks hold more room than DS's carts. That was one of
>>the
>>reasons why Playstation beated out the Nintendo 64.
>
> The DS is going to have a longer battery life than the PSP. That was one
> of the
> reasons why the Gameboy beated out the Game Gear.

Not to mention the fact that, according to one of the other Playstation
newsgroups, there are plans to have PSP games be REQUIRED to observe certain
battery guidelines, or not be approved by Sony for release. By which I mean,
not only does this mean that games have to be made as battery efficient as
possible for their design (which is a Good Thing, though), if the design of
a game doesn't allow for it to achieve a certain battery efficiency in any
way (I can imagine this being the case with many cutscene heavy RPGs as
cutscenes have to be read off the disc; we note that movie viewing uses
battery more heavily than any game, and cutscene heavy games are closer to
movie viewing than other types of game), Buh-bye. As in, Sony won't make an
exception, they'll just reject the game, unless the game gets *DUMBED DOWN*
to fit into battery efficiency requirements. This is a Bad Thing. And like I
said with the cutscenes, I wouldn't be surprised if this means that PSP
doesn't get any good nonportable-console style RPGs at all, ever.

This means PSP will likely end up being mainly used for battery-friendly
things like card games (which involve mainly behind the scenes CPU operation
and comparatively little data access), and probably some sort of simplistic
Pokemon-style RPG type game, and maybe a few other things here and there. In
other words, it will probably end up with games of the same sort that would
also be right for GBA. This in turn suggests to me that the PSP isn't going
to make it; why would portable developers, who probably already have GBA dev
kits, want to go to all the trouble that it's apparently going to be to make
games for the PSP? They'd have to spend the time and money to have their
devs learn a new system, one that has more, not less, restrictions on the
product they can make, for little benefit.

Moreover, consider the selling point. At least in this area, almost everyone
who plays portable consoles is a kid, perhaps a younger teenager (I know,
I'm 24, I have a GBA, but 1, I hardly ever play it these days except for the
occasional Yu-Gi-Oh card duel, and 2, I'm hardly the typical local person
.... lol). This means the console will be bought for them by their parents.
They probably also already have a GBA, which means the "but you already have
a GBA" parental argument is in force. Now, consider the fact also that a PSP
will cost more than even a PS2 (based on what I've read so far on
newsgroups, PSP is to sell for about $300), and the theft rate in schools
these days (pretty much anything valuable that a kid brings to school
regularly, and kids tend to bring their portables to school a lot, tends to
get stolen sooner or later), and I don't think many parents are going to
want to buy their kids a PSP. Given that the mature gamers almost
universally seem to dislike the PSP as it is currently developing, and the
kids aren't going to be getting bought them, this sounds like a recipe for a
class-A failure to me :/
!