Sign in with
Your question

Worth the upgrade?!

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
September 1, 2011 1:49:04 AM

So I have been kicking around the idea of a CPU upgrade, but I am unsure if I will really see any benefit if I decide to take the plunge. Let me know what you guys think.

Here is the setup:

MSI 560Ti Twin Frozr II
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB DDR3 1600
Intel X-25M 120GB SSD for OS
2x 640GB Western Digital Caviar HDD for storage
Corsair CMPSU-750TX (750W PSU)

My current mobo and cpu are first gen AM3 platform:

GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4
AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE

I have not unlocked the 4th core, and do some simple clock speed OC'ing.

Thinking of either:

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T BE
~or~
AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE

Would a jump to either of these new cpu's on my current mobo offer any real benefit. I do some video encoding, not much and some gaming :sol:  ok mostly gaming...

With bulldozer around the bend and the new i5 here... well you see what I am getting at. However I do like the idea of a fairly inexpensive upgrade to the current setup without having to replace the mobo.

Any thoughts?

Thanks much.

More about : worth upgrade

a c 158 à CPUs
September 1, 2011 2:16:33 AM

It depends on what games you play, if they can take advantage of a 4th core or not. I think the x6 is overkill for what you do but an X4 might be worth looking into.
Edit - and before u buy an x4, look into unlocking the 4th core first, if your board supports unlocking.
September 1, 2011 2:17:46 AM

If you use your pc mainly for gaming, you´re not going to see a great difference in performance. If you like AMD just wait a few months and see if bulldozer is as good as if seems it´d be. But if you change your current cpu for a phenom II x6, I think you´ll have a good gaming cpu for two more years (for the games that will come that use more than 4 cores)
!