Curio

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2004
Just set up a little 2 PC network and am using ICS to share the net connection. It basically works OK, but for some reason every 10 mins the ICS connection between the 2 PC's fails. Even the host can't see the net anymore. I get no error messages and they still think they're connected OK.........but nothing. To fix it I have to go into Network Places, disable the LAN connection between the PC's and then re-enable it. Then it's fine - for another 10 mins.

I'm fairly sure it's nothing to do with the actual net connection - if I disable the sharing the host PC will stay connected forever. But once I use ICS it causes problems. Have got all the latest drivers, turned off firewalls, all the usual suggestions...

Any ideas what could cause it to lose the connection every 10 mins?

Thanks.

Rigit

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003
What operating system are you Using? Win 98 ics sucks. I tried it and for a while it would work but then all the sudden the whole networks internet would slow to a crawl. Even the internet connected box slowed down. I was forever disabling reenableing uninstalling ics reinstalling ics it's just junk. I would suggest a third party program or a proxy server. (I think proxy servers suck too but that is just MHO.) Win xp ics is light years ahead. I have had it up and running for about 8 months now and it has never failed.

rigit

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If you have broadband you might as well get a home router. Especially if you are using firewall software. One licence of norton or za firewall is more than a home router and not nearly as good.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>