Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which ram for asus p877 deluxe and i7 3770k?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
May 21, 2012 5:19:30 AM

Hello,

I'm just finalizing my new rig with asus p877 deluxe mobo,i7 3770k, and chose Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB 2X8GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 1.5V CL9 Dual Channel Memory Kit DDR3 PC3-12800 • 9-9-9-24 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.5V. Would I benefit from quad channel and/or faster RAM? eg: G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3-2133 32GB (4x8GB) Memory Kit?

I am a total newbie, but want a screaming hd video editing rig for fun.

Thanks

Dan
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2012 5:31:12 AM

You'll benifit from faster RAM with the 3rd Gen. CPU... The only Quad Channel are X79 mother board, the P8Z77 is only Dual Chanel even if it's 4x8 or 2x8, it's still dual channel... 16GB is usually good enough for Video Editing... 32GB doesn't get filled up...
m
0
l
May 21, 2012 5:56:30 AM

If I stuck with the crucial ballistics RAM above, and bought two of those 16GB kits for 32GB tpotal RAM, wpould it work ok, or would I be better off with a 32GB kit?

thanks
m
0
l
Related resources
May 21, 2012 6:04:25 AM

Would this be a good choice: "G.SKILLF3-2400C10D-16GTX Trident X 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-2400 CL10 240PIN 1.65V Dual Channel Memory Kit" ?

Thanks
m
0
l
May 21, 2012 7:40:21 AM

Been reading on the forum, and saw that you shouldn't buy two 16gb kits to make 32gb. What do you think of these please:

Corsair Vengeance Black 32GB 4X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10-10-10-27 1.5V Quad Channel Memory Kit for $271.24 on ncix.com

Corsair XMS3 Dominator DHX+ 32GB 4X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10-10-10-27 XMP Quad Channel Memory Kit for $290.43 on ncix.com

G.SKILLF3-12800CL10Q-32GBZL Ripjawsz 32GB 4X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 Sandy Bridge E1.5V Memory Kit for
$214.00 on ncix.com

Patriot G2 Series Division 2 32GB 4X8GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 9-9-9-24 1.6V Dual Channel Memory Kit for $239.99 on ncix.com

I also read this article which says real world performance is negligible upside for any RAM higher than 1600MHz, so this is why I'm leaning towards 1600MHz RAM and 32GB instead of 16GB with 2133MHz, etc. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...

Please share ypour thoughts/further advice.

Thanks!!!
m
0
l
May 21, 2012 8:45:50 AM

I like the specs, but wow, pay to play. Expensive.

What do you think about this though: " I also read this article which says real world performance is negligible upside for any RAM higher than 1600MHz, so this is why I'm leaning towards 1600MHz RAM and 32GB instead of 16GB with 2133MHz, etc. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503 [...] est-ddr3/8"?



m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2012 4:45:41 PM

twogunpete said:
I like the specs, but wow, pay to play. Expensive.

What do you think about this though: " I also read this article which says real world performance is negligible upside for any RAM higher than 1600MHz, so this is why I'm leaning towards 1600MHz RAM and 32GB instead of 16GB with 2133MHz, etc. http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503 [...] est-ddr3/8"?

Lol... That's for SandyBridge which mean "What is the best DDR3 RAM for SandyBridge"... What we're looking for is which RAM is the best for Ivy Bridge and that's 2600MHz-3200MHz RAM... 1600MHz is pretty low these days especially in 2014 where DDR4 is coming out with 3000MHz+... Will, it's your money, your choice, just giving an advice that 2600MHz RAM is pretty much worth it for IvyBridge, It dont even work on sandybridge lol... This is your best choice for performance with decent RAM Spacehttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... if you wanna save money for more RAM than get the 32GB but 32BG isn't needed Since it wont get used up because your computer not fast enough or not at least a dual socket where it could use up 32GB... It's more like a GPU where the GPU so slow but have 2GB which wont get used up... Probably at 20GB RAM Usage, you'll start lagging like hell if your CPU cant keep up with 20+ Application unless it's a single application like Adoce Premiere Pro or so...
m
0
l
May 21, 2012 5:01:08 PM

I just built my rig a couple weeks ago p8z77 ws 3770k and used

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL

Went into bios set XMP 1.3 settings and ran great since. Cool part was they were on sale and still are. Actually they're more cheaper now than when I ordered them a few weeks ago =(. Not trying to sell you on these but they worked great for me.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2012 6:03:59 PM

v90k said:
I just built my rig a couple weeks ago p8z77 ws 3770k and used

G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Model F3-17000CL11Q-16GBZL

Went into bios set XMP 1.3 settings and ran great since. Cool part was they were on sale and still are. Actually they're more cheaper now than when I ordered them a few weeks ago =(. Not trying to sell you on these but they worked great for me.

Not a lot of improvement over 1600MHz from 2133, that's why 2600MHz is better in every way with 16GB... You either go with 2600MHz 16GB OR 1600MHz 32GB... 2600MHz is a pretty big improvement in nearly all things so either 2600MHz 16GB $400 or 2400MHz 32GB $450 or 1600MHz 32GB for $200
m
0
l
May 22, 2012 5:28:04 AM

Fully respect both your thoughts, as I am a total newbie, but check this test out comparing 2400Mhz GSkill Trident X vs 1600Mhz GSkill Ripjaws Z was hardly any difference on an i7 3770k and Z77 mobo.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/ram/38613-gskill-tridentx...

"You are here: RAM Reviews 5 Review: G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2,400 Ivy Bridge memory
by Tarinder Sandhu on 2 May 2012, 15:30 3.0
Tags: G skill

Final thoughts and rating
Now available to buy from your favourite retailer, Intel's 3rd Generation Core chips are sure to attract the interest of the enthusiast. The chips' release is also an opportune time for memory manufacturers to launch optimised dual-channel kits, and G.Skill has done just this with the all-new TridentX DDR3 range.

Starting at a lofty 2,400MHz and reaching 2,800MHz the TridentX family looks good on paper. Delve a little deeper and the loose timings and 1.65V operating juice - both necessary evils at this end of the spectrum - rear their ugly heads, as does pricing, which is reckoned to be at least double that of regular DDR3 memory that runs at 1,600MHz.

Genuinely high-end products are released with the lure of exceptional performance. Our benchmarks show an 8GB (2 x 4GB) TridentX pack of DDR3-2,400 memory to be barely any faster, if at all, than well-tuned DDR3-1,600 memory. The explanation for what seems like a performance anomaly is actually quite simple: Intel's recent chips integrate smart, efficient caches that blunt the hoped-for benefits of running premium RAM.

The G.Skill TridentX 8GB DDR3-2,400 memory pack does exactly what it says on the tin, with utter stability, but the very architecture of the latest Intel processors does it no favours, especially as it costs over twice as much as memory that performs just as well. We're struggling to find compelling, obvious reasons for recommending it, frankly."

If there's something they haven't thought of, let me know with some links or info/proof please, as I am soaking all this in, and love reading about all this cool stuff.

Otherwise, looks like I'm going to go with GSkill 1600Mhz RAM...

thanks!

m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2012 9:25:06 AM

twogunpete said:
Fully respect both your thoughts, as I am a total newbie, but check this test out comparing 2400Mhz GSkill Trident X vs 1600Mhz GSkill Ripjaws Z was hardly any difference on an i7 3770k and Z77 mobo.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/ram/38613-gskill-tridentx...

"You are here: RAM Reviews 5 Review: G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2,400 Ivy Bridge memory
by Tarinder Sandhu on 2 May 2012, 15:30 3.0
Tags: G skill

Final thoughts and rating
Now available to buy from your favourite retailer, Intel's 3rd Generation Core chips are sure to attract the interest of the enthusiast. The chips' release is also an opportune time for memory manufacturers to launch optimised dual-channel kits, and G.Skill has done just this with the all-new TridentX DDR3 range.

Starting at a lofty 2,400MHz and reaching 2,800MHz the TridentX family looks good on paper. Delve a little deeper and the loose timings and 1.65V operating juice - both necessary evils at this end of the spectrum - rear their ugly heads, as does pricing, which is reckoned to be at least double that of regular DDR3 memory that runs at 1,600MHz.

Genuinely high-end products are released with the lure of exceptional performance. Our benchmarks show an 8GB (2 x 4GB) TridentX pack of DDR3-2,400 memory to be barely any faster, if at all, than well-tuned DDR3-1,600 memory. The explanation for what seems like a performance anomaly is actually quite simple: Intel's recent chips integrate smart, efficient caches that blunt the hoped-for benefits of running premium RAM.

The G.Skill TridentX 8GB DDR3-2,400 memory pack does exactly what it says on the tin, with utter stability, but the very architecture of the latest Intel processors does it no favours, especially as it costs over twice as much as memory that performs just as well. We're struggling to find compelling, obvious reasons for recommending it, frankly."

If there's something they haven't thought of, let me know with some links or info/proof please, as I am soaking all this in, and love reading about all this cool stuff.

Otherwise, looks like I'm going to go with GSkill 1600Mhz RAM...

thanks!

Yeah your right, nothing benefit from 1866MHz and nothing benefit from 2400MHz either so your best option is the $200 32GB 1600MHz...

EDIT: For the best RAM performance, get the lowest timing possible for 4x8GB, this is why you dont get 2 set of 2x8GB because it's really hard adjusting timing on RAM when you dont know what to do... Just to let you know, the CPU can OC better with 2 RAM slot used and 2 RAM slot open, not sure if it still does...
m
0
l
September 22, 2012 5:30:31 PM

Only read the few answers with a question, so if this was already said, I apologize...

Here are some simple stuff to understand about RAM.
The higher it's frequency is... the better the RAM is...
The lower it's timings are... the better the RAM is...
The lower it's voltage are... the better the RAM is (well, this isn't really important, but 1.5 is recommended for most of motherboards)...

When the frequency goes higher, so do timings, so positive + negative = 0...
So you will not see any performance increase between RAM on 1333MHz and 2133MHz, unless on some special applications, which may benefit from that...

The first one you mentioned are really good, and you don't need more than 16GB of RAM for any system...

You may, if you want, to get 2x those sets (2x(2x8GB)).
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
October 22, 2012 10:55:05 AM

n4v1n said:
IVY Does support 3200MHz???? How? when? where???

Some guy on forum told me that it does not worth. Please suggest if more MHz RAM is better for my IVY I73770K....!!!

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

It's not really worth the MHz for the GB because nothing benefits from them YET, the MHz it has doesn't benefit like 1066MHz to 1600MHz, just a small jump but huge performance differences because LOTS of stuff benefit from 1600MHz... There doesn't seem to be any 3.2GHz Memory around so im guessing there's none BUT there are 2800MHz, you can probably OC them haha lol...
m
0
l
!