New build. Final selections. Last minute suggestions.

sumlit

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
So to get the procedure out of the way....

Approximate Purchase Date:Today - Tomorrow.

Budget Range: $1000-$1200 Before rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: See below.

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences:by brand or type: See below

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Later, yes.

Ok so i got my cart already full and ready for checkout, just need final thoughts from the community and im ready to go.

Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922
PCU: Intel Core i5-2500K
Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W Modular
GPU: MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II Golden Edition GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

This plus the OS, takes me to $1200 before rebates.

I'd like your thoughts and suggestions about this build. As well as any other parts you might recommend that might do a better job than my selections for around the same price. (or lower of course)

ignoranceabound

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
PSU is way overpriced. The MSI is one of the most expensive 560 Ti's and they're all really the same.

Make sure that RAM is 1.5V if you don't want to adjust BIOS.

922 is overkill for most systems IMO but it's a great case.

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Great build. Not sure if you really need the Golden Edition, but the twin frozr has a great cooling system. Id go for this combo instead, and overclock it more yourself if need be:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.662487

Use this combo for HDD+PSU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.668372

get a cpu cooler if you plan to overclock. i recommend the scythe mugen. the hyper 212 is often recommended because its also a great cooler, but the scythe mugen is cooler and quieter -$40.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185142

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
The PSU is very good but you could get by with the Corsair 650W TX and save a few $$, unless you plan for future SLI'ing, then the PSU is fine. Still PSUs function most smoothly when they are not stressed and Corsair models 850W TX and 800W GS are at about the same price point as the 750 HX. Such a little kibbitz.

Otherwise I second Genghis, Sweet Build.

sumlit

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
Great suggestions. I really appreciate it. I love those combos, i already had some on my cart, but I like the ones you suggested.

Is the Raidmax PSU really better than the Corsair i have selected? Need more info on this, im doubtful now.

Also, is a 750Watt enough to SLI two of those 560 Tis? Is it enough to overclock both? Thanks

mgf derp

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
RAM wise I would suggest getting the Ripjaw X series fro GSkill versus just Ripjaw as the X series was designed to work with Sandy Bridge especially P67 motherboards. Also I would error on the side of caution and use the money you save from the combos and such to buy an 850w psu as the 12v rails will have more amps for better stability.

ignoranceabound

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2011
There's nothing special about Corsair anymore; those PSUs are better without question.

The combined wattage of 560s in SLi is 500-550 watts; overclocking them may increase your power consumption a 10-20 watts.

Antec, Silverstone and SeaSonic are all better companies than Corsair and some lesser known PSU companies like XFX are just as good.

brpeden82

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
how can you suggest a raidmax over top quality corsair. you seem to me one to steer people wrong. the corsair 850hx is about the best you can get now adays it could hold up to 1000 watts. read some reviews on it. 750hx is a good too. 850 will give you some headroom for sli.

mgf derp

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
The fact you use a PSU calculator in the first place shows your general ignorance of PSUs. That plus you didn't actually link where you did it and how you got such BS numbers.
Alright doing some quick research into some power consumption numbers I feel you have a point and will say that I was wrong. I do however feel you are going about proving your point all wrong. Instead of just being an a$$hat about it you could have tried to educate are "misguided" thoughts on power supplies.

sumlit

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
So to help me out, could you give me some PSU options that i can choose?

I found this great combo deal.

CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular and SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB for 200 bucks.

genghiskron

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
The fact is, with the combo deal, the corsair psu costs $5 more than the raidmax ($125 + shipping). The corsair has a reputation for reliability, the raidmax doesnt. The corsair is a reliable, efficient psu that will provide enough wattage (750w) to power your components for a long time. The question you have to ask is, even if the raidmax is "better", what do you stand to gain by going with it? Do those benefits outweigh the risk? What evidence is there that the raidmax is a better psu? What does "better" mean in this circumstance? Is it wise to take advice from someone who is clearly a childish and belligerent individual?
Good luck with your build. The 850hx is also a great choice.