vikasqaz1

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Hi all ,

i have a pentium D 2.8 ghz , 2 gb ram , 1 gb ati radeon hd 4550 graphics and necola 450 watts power supply but games like cs and css i started getting 20-30 fps in game i asked many ppl somebody said that change u r graphics card i bought 3 gfx cards but no result , other ppl told me dat format u r pc coz it could be a virus , i formatted 5 times now no result i tried to turn of vsync etc but no use , i tried cmd's also like fps_max 101

could it be a processor problem?? please help

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

What video cards have you bought if you bought cards around the same price point you won't notice alot of improvement they all basically the same gpu power.
To get more improvement you need more graphics power therefore you need to spend more money to get a faster card to see the most improvement, you need to buy a better cpu but also you would need a new motherboard best bang for buck would be an amd multicore cpu and ddr3 ram to go with it.
More cores in new games = more fps but a good video card is a must 4550 is an entry level video card not much good for serious gaming.
You need at least 5000 series if you want dx11 support if your running windows 7 6000 series would be cheaper in some cases.
If you go nvidia a gtx 460 would be the way to go.

Just buying a better video card though would increase your fps but a new cpu would increase it even more its all a matter of dollars and cents.
with new tri or quad core you could get away with using a lesser video card but if you keep your cpu you would need a much better video card.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
False. A new card will not mean anything. You are bottlenecked by an ancient processor. Example: My brother's laptop has a 210m (much lower than your desktop 4550, which the internet just told me was the weakest card ATI made in the 4000 series) and he could play CSS at 60fps with high settings (low AF, low AA)in 1080p. Why? because he had a Dual core 3.1Ghz. Now, that speed alone isn't much more than yours, but the architecture of the processor is new and more efficient and it has more than one core. CS:S is an old game, but your cpu is too old. Unfortunately, an upgrade for you would require a new motherboard, and in turn, new RAM. Then, if you wanted a better card (and you do) you would need a new power supply. Anyway, when all is said and done you kinda bought all of the components of a new computer.

CS:S sys requirements:
Minimum: 1.7 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM, DirectX® 8.1 level Graphics Card (Requires support for SSE), Windows® 7 (32/64-bit)/Vista/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

Recommended: Pentium 4 processor (3.0GHz, or better), 1GB RAM, DirectX® 9 level Graphics Card, Windows® 7 (32/64-bit)/Vista/XP, Mouse, Keyboard, Internet Connection

You said your computer struggled to run CS which an Intel integrated graphics processor can run at 60fps. Something else might be wrong...did you trying playing it offline? Might be line latency or server lag.