Evening everybody,

My son has a Gameboy Advance and when he is playing a game called Pokemon
Ruby Version and when he tries to save the game he gets an error message
saying "The backup battery is damaged or the internal battery has run dry"

Can anyone advise me as to what to do, is it a simple swap out of a battery
or does this mean that the unit has reached the end of its life.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Jeremy

> Evening everybody,
>
> My son has a Gameboy Advance and when he is playing a game called
> Pokemon Ruby Version and when he tries to save the game he gets an
> error message saying "The backup battery is damaged or the internal
> battery has run dry"
>
> Can anyone advise me as to what to do, is it a simple swap out of a
> battery or does this mean that the unit has reached the end of its life.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated

Unfortunately, the "battery" in this case refers to the battery inside the
game cartridge and not the one in the GBA itself. This battery is used to
store game saves; as far as I know, it can't be replaced. Has something
happened to damage the cartridge?

In any case, I believe you'll probably have to get a new game cartridge, but
your Game Boy Advance should be fine.
--
//mike tyndall
C++ programmer and game designer (not professionally)

MN <masternorth1@~losethisbit~yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Can anyone advise me as to what to do, is it a simple swap out of a
> battery or does this mean that the unit has reached the end of its
> life.

<points> What he said.

There *are* replacement battery kits, and special screwdrivers to open the
cart with... but you might be better off buying a whole new one, the save is
lost.
I've actually never heard of a save battery dying in so short a time... my
Blue cart is still ticking away... what happened to the game?

In any case, don't throw out the game... all that needs replacing is the
battery. If you can't find a place that has a replacement (some FAQs should
respond to a google search), just keep the original on whatever workbench
you save away for fixing things... if you do find a battery, you now have a
second pokemon game.

--
Deep Thought

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Could be one of those pirate copies from Asia which are known for having bad
backup batteries.