Something interesting between wireless and lan

puya4puya

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
I recently bought a laptop for my wife. With that laptop I bought a router too: linksys WRT120N(she must have internet :D). Now my question is: How can i setup my pc and laptop to use wireless for internet and lan cards for transfer stuff between them. Because with wireless i get 1 only 1 MB/s :(. Anyone can help with my interesting ideea? And am curious if it works. Tx a lot ppl :hello:

G

Not quite sure what you have in mind but you might want to look at your wireless configuration. Wireless is usually about half the speed of wired even with good wireless reception. You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

puya4puya

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Tx a lot for the reply. The router is wireless N, and i think that the laptop wireless card is G. Which is the maximum speed for the G wireless card? Oh btw tx for the tip positioning. I'm trying right now the channels

puya4puya

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
I forgot to mention that my desktop has a wireless N card and the laptop wireless card is G So.... I got 1 router with wireless N, one desktop with wireless N and one router with wireless G. Which is the maximum speed for the G wireless card? How can i enter in the Router browser setup without being connected with the cable, through wireless. Oh btw tx for the tip positioning. I'm trying right now the channels

Maybe so, but we don't know how the computers are setup in your place, our spy cameras are down right now.

Your wireless speeds should be quite a bit faster, are you saying you get 1 MB between the computers or the internet?

Usually the router IP is 192.168.1.1 no matter if you are wired or wireless. If you can get online wirelessly you can connect to the router from the computer.

puya4puya

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010

I get 1 MB between the laptop and my desktop pc. The laptop have wireless G and my desktop have a wireless N board.

My router is behind a meter away from me and my desktop pc (on the furniture, 2 meters tall). The laptop is usually in bed at about 1 meter. I hope it helped. Tx and hire some qualified people for those spy cameras :kaola:

puya4puya

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Not quite sure what you have in mind but you might want to look at your wireless configuration. Wireless is usually about half the speed of wired even with good wireless reception. You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.

I tried all the channels :( and maxim speed that i could get was 1.60 MB between the laptop and my desktop pc.

G

Slight improvement. On wireless mode -- I think I would experiment with the router settings, perhaps trying mixed mode then g then n and see what happens.

puya4puya

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
Slight improvement. On wireless mode -- I think I would experiment with the router settings, perhaps trying mixed mode then g then n and see what happens.

tx, i will try tomorrow and come back with the result. It's 1.45 AM here :D