Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer randomly freezes

Last response: in Components
September 1, 2011 4:51:25 AM

Hi guys! First I would like to say thanks for your input. My computer ever since I got a new hdd ( from Dell with warranty) has started randomly freezing about once every 3 days. I've checked my anti virus software, its not because of it starting a scan or anything. I really need this resolved since I am a full time college student and really can't afford to send it off to the shop for 2 weeks or more.
September 1, 2011 9:04:25 PM

If your computer has not enough memory and you are using Windows Vista, join the club. VISTA is crap and hangs most computers. It needs a lot of Virtual Memory to swap data from RAM to the HDD. Its possible that the Virtual memory allocated to your new HDD is insufficient for your software requirements. Try increasing the Virtual memory allocation. Also examine your list of startup programs and disable any you do not really need at startup
I cant' really say more without knowing your computer.

Kurtjoerg
September 1, 2011 9:13:47 PM

2350843,2,972271 said:
If your computer has not enough memory and you are using Windows Vista, join the club. VISTA is crap and hangs most computers. It needs a lot of Virtual Memory to swap data from RAM to the HDD. Its possible that the Virtual memory allocated to your new HDD is insufficient for your software requirements. Try increasing the Virtual memory allocation. Also examine your list of startup programs and disable any you do not really need at startup
I cant' really say more without knowing your computer.

Kurtjoerg[/quotemsgh

The OS is Windows 7 w/4 gigs of RAM. I've already tried the disabling of processes that aren't necessary ( Itunes, Steam, Games etc...) and that doesn't seem to help. The computer usage is down to about 24% and it still freezes.
Related resources
September 1, 2011 9:39:32 PM

This is what a warranty is for call dell.

Best solution

September 4, 2011 2:17:38 PM

This post lists some reasons for why computer freezes and hope it may help: http://blog.teesupport.com/12-reasons-that-cause-comput...
September 4, 2011 2:21:27 PM

Type event viewer into the start menu, start off in Windows logs - Applications, scroll down and check out anything that's red.
Do the same in System tab.
September 14, 2011 1:30:37 AM

Best answer selected by jwdurden.
!