Solved

Cpu heatsink gone bad.

hi all, My first build all is well except for 1 thing. I over tightened my cpu cooler now I can't remove it to re-apply thermal paste. My temps are at 43/44c, i think about 10 degrees to high. Any suggections?
Thanks
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about heatsink
  1. Take it to a repair shop and see if they can do anything about it. It will certainly cost a lot less if they can get it fixed than you having to go back out and buying a whole new cooler and maybe even a new processor
  2. What processor and what cooler?
  3. Quote:
    what do you mean you over tightened it? you mean you stripped the screws or something? i am confused :)

i dont understand how it could get stuck on :)

You got it overtightened. The screws are stripped and I am screwed. Can't remove it. 1366 mobo, coolermaster HyperN520.
  4. Best answer
    Did teching for a number of years. You can usually remove stripped screws with a screwdriver and a small pair of diagonal cutters. You will not use the cutters to cut anything. They will allow you to get up under the screw and apply light pressure as you unscrew the screw. Go slow. Take your time.
  5. djackson_dba said:
    Did teching for a number of years. You can usually remove stripped screws with a screwdriver and a small pair of diagonal cutters. You will not use the cutters to cut anything. They will allow you to get up under the screw and apply light pressure as you unscrew the screw. Go slow. Take your time.

Sounds like a good idea. I haven't tried it yet but I will let you know when i get the energy. right now the temps are ok. stock 37/42c
    @ to 3.8 it goes to 44/46. Certainly within safety zone but not perfect.
  6. Best answer selected by gerry410.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Heatsinks Thermal Compound CPUs Build Systems