battery service life

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
March 2, 2005 6:07:22 PM

Is there any way to determine, using a voltage meter, where a battery is
in its service life. Eg., to batteries starting to die charge up to
lower voltage, etc.????

More about : battery service life

Anonymous
March 2, 2005 11:37:45 PM

Ron wrote:
> Is there any way to determine, using a voltage meter, where a battery
> is in its service life. Eg., to batteries starting to die charge up to
> lower voltage, etc.????

The best way is when they start giving your less service life.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
March 2, 2005 11:37:46 PM

I'm not talking about cycle time, but service life. Some batteries, like
NiMh's, from my experience, can have slightly varied cycles, depending
on how they were charged and how they are refreshed. I am more
interested in the actual longevity of lithium ions, which are more
stable in terms of cycle time I believe. Were I an expert I would not
have asked the question.

Joseph Meehan wrote:
> Ron wrote:
>
>>Is there any way to determine, using a voltage meter, where a battery
>>is in its service life. Eg., to batteries starting to die charge up to
>>lower voltage, etc.????
>

> The best way is when they start giving your less service life.

March 3, 2005 1:17:34 AM

When rechargeable die they tend to go slowly, so the best test is "really"
when you notice the battery just isn't lasting as long. There are too many
variables when it comes to determining true service life, and a volt meter
won't do it as it supplies no load to the battery.

You would have to supply a steady load on the battery till it dies and
compare it to a brand new one, then somehow calculate how much charge it
loses over time. And in some cases I've seen lithium ion batteries die on
the shelf over time.

There are a lot of sites on batteries on the Net. Google it.

"Ron" <rgood@netzero.com> wrote in message
news:p ArVd.3436$LN1.2788@fe04.lga...
> I'm not talking about cycle time, but service life. Some batteries, like
> NiMh's, from my experience, can have slightly varied cycles, depending on
> how they were charged and how they are refreshed. I am more interested in
> the actual longevity of lithium ions, which are more stable in terms of
> cycle time I believe. Were I an expert I would not have asked the
> question.
>
> Joseph Meehan wrote:
>> Ron wrote:
>>
>>>Is there any way to determine, using a voltage meter, where a battery
>>>is in its service life. Eg., to batteries starting to die charge up to
>>>lower voltage, etc.????
>>

>> The best way is when they start giving your less service life.

Anonymous
March 3, 2005 3:59:14 AM

"Joseph Meehan" <sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math<

The IRA are the biggest crime syndicate in Europe - it's Irish Facts.
Anonymous
March 3, 2005 11:26:08 AM

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 00:59:14 -0000, "epoxyresin" <stuck@thebottom.com>
wrote:

>"Joseph Meehan" <sligojoe_Spamno@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>

>> 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math<
>

>The IRA are the biggest crime syndicate in Europe - it's Irish Facts.

Supported by American money.

Pete S.

www.derwentelec.clara.co.uk
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 4:29:32 PM

> Is there any way to determine, using a voltage meter, where a battery is
> in its service life. Eg., to batteries starting to die charge up to
> lower voltage, etc.????

Try this newsgroup, many battery experts are monitoring it:
sci.chem.electrochem.battery
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 7:55:41 PM

My Kodak CX 7300 quits when nicd batteries are at 1.10~1.05 volts
each.Nominal voltage of nicd batteries:1.25 (AFAIK).

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitriïs
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

!