6970 issue with GTA 4?

phisylus

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
My old card was a 4870, and it played GTA 4 on PC maxed out except the view distance was at about a 70 and it ran great. I just bought a 6970, and it actually seems to run a lot worse. Maxed out it runs horrible, and even if I lower to what I played at with my 4870, it runs just as bad as maxed out. My 4870 played the game better, and this just doesn't make sense. I have all the drivers updated and even the game patched. Anyone know what's going on? Is it just bad drivers or something, like maybe an update with the drivers will fix it later on to run smooth? My set up is an i7 920, 6GB of Corsair RAM, and a 6970 2GB. Nothing is OC and modified, everything is at stock, but like I said before, it ran better on my 4870. Also, all of my games run a lot better with my 6970, it's just GTA 4 that is a downgrade for some reason.

Solution
Even the best machines can't run GTA 4 maxed out.It's a console port after all,that is why.Also the drivers for the 48xx series are much more up to date than the 69xx series since they are so new.