Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Manual motherboard driver update question

Last response: in Motherboards
May 21, 2012 2:22:54 PM

kind of a dumb question here.

I'm on the ASUS website downloading driver updates for a new build motherboard )Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155). This is the page:

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=P8...

Under each category (chipset, audio, vga, lan...) there can be multiple updates. I kind of assumed all previous updates would be included in the latest update but now I'm not so sure. For instance, USB has two versions with totally different version numbers and titles but the same date and the size of the update doesn't always increase over time. Utilities has eleven listed.

Can you tell me:

1. Should I download them all or just most recent?

2. Should I update everything on the list (chipset, audio, vga, lan, usb, utilities, wireless, sata) including BIOS?

Thanks.

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2012 4:09:34 PM

First, get the latest BIOS update and update the BIOS to 1015. It is really easy using the Asus BIOS flashback functionality. All you need is the 24-pin power connector from the power supply connected to the board (I recommend you mount it in the case first) and a USB (FAT 16 or FAT 32 format) with the new BIOS saved to the root.

Also, you just need the latest for the chipset, audio, lan, and wireless. If there are older versions, just get the newest.

You have 2 separate USB 3.0 controllers on that motherboard. You need a driver for each. Download and install both.

You only need the Asmedia SATA for an additional disk controller on the motherboard. You don't need the intel rapid storage/rapid start drivers unless you're running a RAID setup. Your intel SATA drivers install with the chipset drivers.

You only need the VGA driver if you don't have a separate video card and you plan to use the integrated graphics processor.
May 21, 2012 6:13:20 PM

Thank you very much for the detailed answer, uber.

I didn't know about the ASUS BIOS flashback. Nice explanation and videos here:

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

Do you say to mount it in the case first so I don't break something while connecting the USB drive without the case support? Because I kind of thought I was supposed to populate the motherboard and then install it in the case. I see the Asian gentleman in the first video on the website above supporting the back of the USB port while installing the USB drive in the motherboard out of the case.

For the rest of the drivers, I think I am supposed to install those after I install windows. Is that correct?

Thanks a ton for your help.

Score
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2012 6:37:06 PM

Mounting the motherboard in the case first ensures you won't short the board. I know they might not do this in the video, but I think it's actually good practice to mount the board first. If you have a backplate for your CPU cooler, you need to install it to the motherboard before you mount the motherboard to the case. If you have a case with a cutout in the tray behind the CPU socket, it won't matter if you put the backplate on before or after you mount the board. Everything goes in easily afterward (exception being a stock CPU heatsink) with the motherboard already mounted in the case.

After you mount the motherboard, installing the latest BIOS first using the BIOS Flashback will ensure maximum compatibility with your hardware. After the BIOS is updated, in the BIOS I make sure the disk mode is set to AHCI or RAID for each disk controller depending on the build and then begin the Windows install. Also, depending on your CPU cooling solution, you may want to adjust the appropriate CPU fan settings as necessary.

If you will be creating a RAID array and running a RAID setup, you'll need to keep a disk or thumb drive available and use them during the initial part of the Windows install as prompted.

You install all drivers after you get Windows installed starting with the chipset. I always like to do sound second believe it or not, because back in the old days, if your sound driver wasn't right your whole PC would run screwy. It probably doesn't matter all that much now. Then install the rest of your drivers in no particular order.

I prepare a CD or thumb drive with all the drivers on it ahead of time.
Score
May 21, 2012 6:59:37 PM

Great information! :D  Thank you for taking the time to give such thorough answers!
Score
May 22, 2012 1:21:42 AM

Sorry, one more quick one if you have a second.

Would you download all of those utilities drivers? I tried to search for the answer and I'm not having much luck. I'm finding some people complaining of "bloatware".
Score
a b V Motherboard
May 22, 2012 8:52:46 AM

There is no bloatware if you don't install it. You're the person building the PC and installing the drivers. You're in full control.

What I would avoid are some of the software items under 'utilities'. If you want to try overclocking, the AI Suite offers a decent method for doing so. I tried it and was somewhat impressed. I would also recommend downloading the LucidLogix software so you can take full advantage of that aspect of the architecture. Any other software under the 'Utilities' category I would consider bloatware and unnecessary.
Score
May 22, 2012 10:56:01 AM

Thank you again. I'll look over the utilities more critically. Thanks for the recommendation.
Score
June 1, 2012 3:23:49 PM

Best answer selected by nottheratboy.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
June 1, 2012 4:00:13 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!