Sign in with
Your question

Computer starts, shuts off, then boots.

Last response: in CPUs
September 1, 2011 3:51:30 PM

Recently my computer has been acting strange. It starts for 2-3 seconds, shuts off, then starts again, but successfully boots. This seems to happen after a cold boot. Any idea what this is?
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2011 4:16:48 PM

have you check the PSU?

What are the temperatures?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 1, 2011 5:28:47 PM

had this with an asus p5k motherboard from cold boot--in that case it turned out that because i was turning the mains power off at the wall at night then on in the morning it would double boot the 1st time i turned it on--when i stopped turning off the mains at night it was fine

m
l
Related resources
September 2, 2011 9:26:06 PM

rspkers said:
Recently my computer has been acting strange. It starts for 2-3 seconds, shuts off, then starts again, but successfully boots. This seems to happen after a cold boot.
Nobody can say if you do not provide hard numbers. Other will blame the usual irrelevant suspects including temperature, surges, or a mystery gremlin in the PSU. A power controller determines whether your computer powers on or off. Only way to determine what the inputs to that controller are saying or if the controller is defective means numbers from a tool sold in Kmart or stores that also sell hammers. You must have that digital multimeter. And ask how to perform the full one minute of labor to have numbers from six wires. Then the next reply can identify or exonerate the so many reasons.

No numbers means your every reply will only be speculation. And will want you to fix things without first learning what is defective.

m
l
March 16, 2012 7:53:20 PM

Hey I just have the same issue here but I dont know why this happens.

Another problem I have is when my PC goes to stand-by.
Then when I hit the power button it does seem to start up but the screen doesn't give a display.
I need to hold the power button for 5 seconds, and hit the power button again.
And then it recovers from the stand-by :S

Anyone knows where to solve this?
m
l
!