May 21, 2012
Hi,

First time building a desktop this week pretty confident i can pull it off Ordered a Sabertooth Z77 (im a sucker for the look). One thing bothering me at the moment is BIOS. Seen a few videos where they tell you to disregard the disc that comes with the motherboard and just download from the website, do i need all the other things from the website also BIOS-Utilities, Chipset etc etc?

When do i update the BIOS? Before or after windows? As soon as i have power to MB?

Do i need all the other stuff on the website i.e SATA has 5 updates on the Asus site?

I hope i make sense!

Lew

you should update the bios if for example the processor you have installed is not being identified correctly
you should download the latest drivers for your motherboard such as sata drivers, chip set drivers, usb drivers, whatever comes on the disk that came with your motherboard

For mobo's I always use the disk for drivers, then you can update later using the update utility, IF updates are available.

I never recommend updating a bios unless the bios update is necessary.

I've been building computers since 1997 and never have had to update a bios on my own personal computer. Yeah believe it.

catatafish

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

^ +1

I worried about this a lot before my first build too. Most likely, what you buy will come with the most recent bios.

Pop the disk in, then afterwards go to the ASUS website amd click the thingie where it detects what hardware you have, and it will tell you what is out of date.

Good luck with your build!