Sign in with
Your question

Monitor displaying too dark on xbox360

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 25, 2011 9:43:56 PM

Hello,

My CRT monitor is displaying too dark black tones when connected to my xbox360 through the xbox360 HD_to_VGA cable.

This started happening when I left someone else to play with my xbox360.
He did 'something' to the monitor (I don't know what, he said he "did something to get the annoying recurring OSD popup away")
and now whenever I launch my xbox360, the darks and blacks are way too dark. The games are not playable this way.

What I have tried:
- download the latest nvidia drivers for my card and install them, reboot.
- adjust any possible brightness/gamma/color/rgb setting through the nvidia control panel and the OSD settings
(the OSD settings didn't help, the darks kept being too dark while connected to the 360.
However when I used the nvidia panel while connected to my PC, the screen suddenly was no more too dark
and I could visibly see the changes I made (be it color, gamma, brightness etc.)
Then when I switch my cable back to the monitor, the darks are too dark again...
- I tried to use the OSD 'reset' option and it said 'cannot reset' so I rebooted my PC and then I could reset the screen OSD settings
- Install and use new color profiles (files), reboot
- set the brightness and contrast to 100%
- go from 9300K to 6500K, then just went back to 9300K because the former is uglier

I don't have much knowledge about monitors or their drivers and behavior, so I don't know what's really going on or how to troubleshoot this.
I don't know if it's my colleague's fault for messing with the screen, or if the drivers went corrupt.
I want to rule out if it's the monitor just getting old..
Something has caused this darkness and I don't know what. Now I can't play my games.
I don't have any other computermonitor, but I tried to connect the 360 to my tv using the regular component cable and it worked.
No dark image. So I think it's the monitor's or PC's problem...

Any ideas?..

Monitor: ProView 986 19"
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce 7300GT 256 MB 8x AGP

Thank you
March 25, 2011 10:05:50 PM

buy a cheap widescreen lcd and throw that proview in the garbage
March 25, 2011 10:42:11 PM

Any other suggestions are welcome. Preferably troubleshooting my original problem.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
March 25, 2011 10:47:12 PM

you have to do it via the osd on the monitor... (dont know if xbox has any settings, dont own one, if it does, use them instead.) Anything you adjust within the nvidia drivers on the pc only affects what is being output from the pc, it doesnt change the settings of the monitor and thus has no effect on the image from the xbox...

and isn't blacks supposed to be ..black :p 
March 25, 2011 10:50:44 PM

Yes they are but the problem is that they are overshadowing everything now.
There's this dark shadow (think Alan Wake) overglowing everything.
Shadows in games are not fluent with many grays and black tones.. they are just too dark and cover up other elements.
Not only shadows. Everything overall.
March 26, 2011 2:08:49 AM

Most monitors (I'm going to guess yours as well) have a feature that automatically sets the colors and calibrates the display. To figure out what button that is, push all of them.

Also, since your 360 and PC are completely separate systems, of course changing the settings on your PC won't affect the display settings on your Xbox.

If you feel like doing it the old fashion way, go into your monitor's OSD and change the brightness and gamma.
March 26, 2011 9:00:00 AM

PudgyChicken said:
Most monitors (I'm going to guess yours as well) have a feature that automatically sets the colors and calibrates the display. To figure out what button that is, push all of them.

Also, since your 360 and PC are completely separate systems, of course changing the settings on your PC won't affect the display settings on your Xbox.

If you feel like doing it the old fashion way, go into your monitor's OSD and change the brightness and gamma.

I have the following options:

degauss
contrast
brightness
h.position
h.size
v.position
v.size
rotation
pincushion
trapezoid
parallelogram
pin.balance
advanced select
moiré (horiz, vert)
color select
9300 K
6500 K
USER
osd adjustment
language

I have tried all of them (including brightness, colors and contrast) and none of them fix the problem.
reset
a b Î Nvidia
a b C Monitor
March 26, 2011 11:23:34 AM

are there any image settings on the xbox?

also color select/user should allow you to mess things up a bit
!