CPU fan overheating/ spinning too fast!

cpunoob77

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
Hello Tom's Hardware!

I have a couple questions/concerns about my CPU overheating and CPU fan/heatsink:

I've had my PC for about 3 years now. The CPU fan speeds have always ran at what I would describe as normal. Full speed spin at startup and normal running speed when in use. For the first time last night, the CPU fan began spinning at full speed while in normal use. It would do this in intervals of about 45 seconds: first spinning at full speed for a good 25 seconds and slowing down to normal speed for about 20 seconds, repeating over and over. I ran a temperature check with "SpeedFan" and it was definitely the CPU heating up! I immediately shutdown the PC and has been off since.

My questions are: What can cause my CPU fans to suddenly start spinning like this at full speed? Why is my CPU overheating?

Some more information:

Lenovo 3000 H210
Intel Dual Core 2.2

CPU, CPU cooler, heatsink, and motherboard are all stock. Original hardware.

This year I have added a graphics card (Sapphire 4650 1GB DDR2) , sound card (Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium), new RAM modules (4GB DDR2), a second HDD (WD Caviar Black 500GB) and a "USB 3.0 2-Port Expansion Card". This has been the case for a couple months with no overheating problems until now.

Solution
Your first question appears easy to answer. The fan is speeding up because the CPU is getting hot. It is possible for enough lint to inhibit cooling however my bet would be on the thermal paste on the CPU. Re-do it with some good paste and clean the HSF while it's out.

ram1009

Distinguished
Your first question appears easy to answer. The fan is speeding up because the CPU is getting hot. It is possible for enough lint to inhibit cooling however my bet would be on the thermal paste on the CPU. Re-do it with some good paste and clean the HSF while it's out.

Solution

cpunoob77

Distinguished
May 13, 2011

Removed fan and heatsink. It looks like its growing fur. Will clean out.

cpunoob77

Distinguished
May 13, 2011

Lots and lots of lint...

cpunoob77

Distinguished
May 13, 2011

Its all dust. Going to get me some thermal paste...

nade_77

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
59wlub.jpg

Are my stats good.??

PS : My PC turns off randomly . Guess heating prob??
Need experts on this asap

regards