Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard boot

Last response: in Motherboards
May 21, 2012 6:28:52 PM

Hello !

I have an msi 848p neo2 v. I replaced the power supply with a new one. It will boot into the bios but only stays alive for about 3 minutes then shuts off. Better than what i had over the weekend.

Now th cooling fan makes a little noise . It has that kind of heatsink with the 4 little feet that go into the holes and u turn the tops away from the arrows ? to lock it in . Some of them don't look like they are all the way in but the heatsink is very solid to motherboard no wiggle.

Anyone have any suggestions where to go now ? As far as the boot to bios then 1 to 2 miniutes later shutting off. But does start up again.

More about : motherboard boot

June 5, 2012 2:21:54 AM

jmor987 said:
Hello !

I have an msi 848p neo2 v. I replaced the power supply with a new one. It will boot into the bios but only stays alive for about 3 minutes then shuts off. Better than what i had over the weekend.

Now th cooling fan makes a little noise . It has that kind of heatsink with the 4 little feet that go into the holes and u turn the tops away from the arrows ? to lock it in . Some of them don't look like they are all the way in but the heatsink is very solid to motherboard no wiggle.

Anyone have any suggestions where to go now ? As far as the boot to bios then 1 to 2 miniutes later shutting off. But does start up again.

====================================================
I have similar problem - the boot process goes through the memory test and then stops. CTL-ALT-DEL reboots the board but stops in the same place. If I press DELETE during the boot process, I have access to the BIOS and can change parameters. After exiting the BIOS setup, the board ends up in the same place
m
l
a c 459 V Motherboard
a c 155 ) Power supply
June 5, 2012 3:51:03 AM

First off, look at the cooler's feet. Are the round black bases flush with the board? Sitting flat on the board? If not, the cooler may not be making good contact with the processor's heat spreader. That would cause a shut down or re-start as the CPU over-heats.

IBtw, you may want to replace the CMOS battery on the motherboard. A dying battery will not allow the boot sequence to complete. All you can do is possibly enter BIOS at that point.
m
l
June 7, 2012 3:28:46 AM

Well, I changed the battery and checked the CPU temperature and it's OK. It appears that the system does not recognize the hard drives when the install needs to start. I'll start the CPU and stop it BIOS and it sees the hard drives. The system does start the Windows XP install CD and when it gets to the poin t where install is selected by pressing ENTER, the system locks up. I tried switching the IDE cables and symptoms are the same. It's a brand new board, maybe it's just a bad board. Something is intermittent because at one point the system just rebooted over and over and never went to the CD to load the Windows install program
m
l
!