Sign in with
Your question

[Solved] -- Semi-Random computer freezing

Last response: in Motherboards
May 21, 2012 6:32:50 PM

Hey guys, I am new to these forums so if I do something wrong in this post let me know so I may fix it.

I recently finished building my first computer:

intel i5 Ivy bridge-3570k @ 3.4gHz (CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Heatsink)

Galaxy GTX 560 Ti

Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mHz

Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H mobo

Corsair Enthusiast Series Tx 750W ATX 12V psu

And even while installing windows 7 professional I have had freezing issues -- Whether gaming, watching videos, or idling on the desktop screen the screen will freeze and I have no control of the mouse or keyboard, just an image of what was on the screen when it froze will remain.

I've checked around forums for people with similar issues and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling my drivers, running memtest (no errors detected), attempting to repair my version of windows 7 (this was unsuccessful as when I tried to repair it with the original disk it would not comply, and when I tried to boot from a repair disk it would not recognize the repair disk), and I am about to take the computer apart and put it back together, maybe with a clean install of windows 7.

Is there anything else I could try before I replace hardware?

As far as I can tell it would be the motherboard that I would RMA

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!
a b V Motherboard
May 21, 2012 7:02:43 PM

Not trying to insult your intelligence whatsoever, so please don't get me wrong but I need to ask this because it is your first build:

Did you mount the motherboard on standoffs screwed into the motherboard tray or did you mount the motherboard directly to the tray?

The reason I ask is some people will mount the motherboard directly to the tray if they have not built a computer previously. This causes the motherboard to short out because metal on the board is making contact with the metal on the tray.

Knowing this will at least eliminate one possible problem.
m
l
a c 462 V Motherboard
May 21, 2012 8:13:09 PM

i would check first the rev of the mb bios and the ram. a lot of the z77 mb have had cpu code upgrades and code to upgrade ram compatibility. i would check to see if your ram is on the mb qal list. if it not i check the ram vendor web page. if you used the stock heat sink check with the mb bios that the temp and voltages are fine with no load. if they look fine and you have more then one dimm. try pulling the other dimms out and then go into the bios and see what the speed and ram profile the mb is using. most mb and 1600 or faster ram you have to use the xmp profile. some mb dont set the ram speed/timming and voltage right. if you have someone or a local computer store or best buy that let you use another stick of ram to see if it a ram issue.
as it locking up...damaging windows it a ram or cpu or power issue. as the memory controller are now part of the intel cpu a lot of times people bend pins under the cpu or the cpu not seated right the first time.
m
l
Related resources
May 21, 2012 8:45:56 PM

ubercake said:
Not trying to insult your intelligence whatsoever, so please don't get me wrong but I need to ask this because it is your first build:

Did you mount the motherboard on standoffs screwed into the motherboard tray or did you mount the motherboard directly to the tray?

The reason I ask is some people will mount the motherboard directly to the tray if they have not built a computer previously. This causes the motherboard to short out because metal on the board is making contact with the metal on the tray.

Knowing this will at least eliminate one possible problem.

Thanks for your response! I mounted the motherboard on standoffs following ATX specifications that I found in my motherboard manual. So, to my knowledge it is mounted correctly, however when I rebuild it I will pay more attention to this.
m
l
May 22, 2012 6:47:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!

Turns out the problem was specific to the GA-Z77-D3H i was using. To fix this issue I simply had to set the Cpu base clock to 100.1

So ready to do some gaming now :D 
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 23, 2012 11:36:09 AM

The board didn't automatically detect the base clock speed? Or did you have it set to overclock from the beginning?
m
l
May 24, 2012 11:04:13 PM

ubercake said:
The board didn't automatically detect the base clock speed? Or did you have it set to overclock from the beginning?

The board didn't detect the base clock speed, from what i've seen other people have had the same problem with this board.
m
l
!