2 problems with new 6950 flashed to 6970

heynow

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
i just bought an XFX 6950 2GB that i have flashed to a 6970. when i put the new card in, i uninstalled and reinstalled Catalyst 11.2 using 8.821 drivers. i also switched from DVI over to an HDMI cable when i installed the new card. i am using my monitors native resolution of 1920 x 1080.

when i started the computer back up, my screen had about an inch of unused area around the border. i looked through the CCC and found the setting in the picture below. the setting was originally where i put the red line, so i pushed this up to 0% and now its fine. is this a normal problem? is there another better way to fix this or was this the right way to do it?
underscancat11dot2.jpg

the second problem is that since i have installed the new card and HDMI cable, when my monitor goes to standby after x amount of minutes it doesnt shut off anymore. instead it goes to a bright blue screen with a box that moves around every few seconds that says 'HDMI NO SIGNAL'. the power light on the monitor now stays blue and doesnt change to amber. i was shocked the first time i saw it because i was thinking BSOD after installing the new video card but as soon as i touched the mouse the monitor came right back on with no problems. anyone ever heard of the monitor not shutting itself off problem?

heynow

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
i tried to use the bios that is linked in step 2 but that didnt work so i used the batch file that is linked in the Update. not sure which bios it is but it worked. i also bumped up the PowerTune in CCC as suggested to +20%.

heynow

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
CCC 11.2 with the 8.821 drivers are the latest unless youre looking somewhere that i havent. i didnt do a stress test but the system is running rock solid. do i need to do some stress testing? whats the best test?

Use a DVI cable instead of HDMI. Image quality will remain identical, and it will fix your problems. HDMI causes the monitor to act like a TV, so it may not go automatically into standby mode. It will just stay on, like a TV will when you shut off the input. With DVI, the monitor acts like a PC monitor and goes properly into shut down/standby mode when the PC is shut off.

heynow

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
easy enough solution. for some reason i just wanted to use HDMI because it was 'newer' or 'better'. i know that DVI is same image quality, but...

have you ever heard of the underscan thing?

Underscan was goin g to be my next suggestion. I'm not sure how to set it in the Catalyst control panel though. There also might be a setting within your monitor's controls.

heynow

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
i went through everything on my monitor again but no settings like that in there.
as to how to set underscan in CCC, look at the screenie in my first post. ;)
maybe the underscan was on at about 7% because of the HDMI hookup making it think that im using a TV...

Ten1220

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
I have a question here. I looked at the Metro 2033 testing of many video cards and the 5870 boasted much better than the 6950 that I am picking up. Why is this? It seems like it should be an elementary answer but I'm still scratching my head...

Thanks

That 11.4 is a preview (It isn't April yet, and we haven't even gotten the official March (11.3) drivers yet).

I'd also recommend DVI. There really is no reason not to. The only time I use HDMI is for home theater where it is a must for uncompressed audio (and my projector HD video).

heynow

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
i switched back to DVI and its back to normal again.
im using the 11.2 CCC because its the latest non-beta out there.

what is the need for stress testing? just to make sure the card is performing like a 6970?

z06psi

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010

Start a new thread with the article you were reading and I am sure we will all comment.

heynow

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
my monitor is an ASUS VW246.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236049&Tpk=vw246

i installed Homefront a few hours ago and it kept crashing. did all the fixes i could find by googling and then installed CCC 11.4 which fixed the problem. now the game runs solid with all settings at very high and the resolution as high as possible. i need to figure out how to see my fps in the game.

i downloaded furmark and will run it later and report back. are there any settings that i need to change, or just run the stability test at default?