Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Already have a 5870, CF? or a 6970?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 26, 2011 12:42:39 AM

Hey guys, i have a quick question. I have a 5870 1gb in my rig, i was wondering if i should stick with the 5870 and get another, Newegg has a card(5870 1GB) for 189, or should i upgrade to a 6970. i would get a 6990 but, I've heard a lot of bad press about the heat and noise levels. The intended use is for games, Crysis 2 etc.. @1920X1080.

MY setup.
GIGABYTE GA-790FXTA-UD5 AM3
12GB DDR3
Phenom IIx4 955
5870 1GB
Antec 650W psu

P.s if i go the 5870x2 route, how much watt psu would be ideal.
I'm also interested in other suggestions.
thank you.

More about : 5870 6970

March 27, 2011 8:16:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Why you need another? If you can max out everything then there's no need. When it starts to struggle then think about upgrading. Unless you want to add more monitors to your setup

well, i can't run everything at maxed settings. I tried running metro 2033 at 1920 X 1080, with everything turned on. It runs, yes, but its almost unplayable when the actions ramps up. I ran a bench mark i get an average of 20fps. i would love to run Crysis 2 on extreme setting(1920x1080) with all the bells and whistles, at a decent frame rate.

@PsychoSaysdie

I intended to upgrade to a 1055t, i really don't want to invest too much into a CPU right now, because i'm seriously considering switching to a i7. not sure whether, switching to an i7 will produce any noticeable difference while Gaming. i know Intel's chips tend to outperform amd, but with my upgrading schedule ever year and a half to 2 years, would i really notice a difference.
my questions is, will a 650W PSU, be sufficient to run dual 5870's?

m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
March 27, 2011 8:52:51 PM

Dual 6970's get better results than dual 5870's but on it's own the 5870 seems to be the faster card and if it's a quality 650w PSU then it might hold up OK.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2011 9:33:53 PM

Quote:
Your Phenom II will bottleneck a 2 card setup.

So true, also I just abandoned my 6870 crossfire setup because of terrible minimum fps which was caused by adding a second card. Also I had a p2 955 @ 4.0ghz and I feel that there is not enough overhead in this processor for 5870 class crossfire. Between the minimum fps problem, AMD's shitty crossfire drivers (for the 6870s), and the fact the my cpu was adding to the lag by not being powerful enough to manage 2 gpus... I have since picked up a gtx 570 for cheap and oc'ed it to 580 levels, my minimums are great...

Bottom line, I would sell your 5870 (if its not giving you the performance that you want) and get a 6970 or a gtx 570. Or if not then I'd just keep it and game on until its not cutting it for you anymore. I have heard of other users on here complaining about bad drivers for 5 series crossfire and after my personal experience with the 6870s I would recommend against cross firing anything >6950s and also not to do it with out a stronger cpu than anything that can be found on an am3 socket, it is absolutely fine for one card but with 2 it will struggle, mine did...

If you really want crossfire, build a SB rig and crossfire some 6950s or 6970s

bulldozer should be out in a few months and we will see how that fairs with the new am3+ mobo..

getting the 6 core thuban for your current am3 setup will not give you any better of performance and in some cases is worse

then the quad...

Overall I'd recommend a single strong card which the 5870 is, but if its not cutting it then make the jump to a 6970 or gtx 570, its not going to be a huge jump but it will provide you with a little extra muscle and in the case of the 570 much better tessellation processing power, which may or may not be a factor depending on what games you play...
March 27, 2011 10:40:40 PM

jjb8675309 said:
So true, also I just abandoned my 6870 crossfire setup because of terrible minimum fps which was caused by adding a second card. Also I had a p2 955 @ 4.0ghz and I feel that there is not enough overhead in this processor for 5870 class crossfire. Between the minimum fps problem, AMD's shitty crossfire drivers (for the 6870s), and the fact the my cpu was adding to the lag by not being powerful enough to manage 2 gpus... I have since picked up a gtx 570 for cheap and oc'ed it to 580 levels, my minimums are great...

Bottom line, I would sell your 5870 (if its not giving you the performance that you want) and get a 6970 or a gtx 570. Or if not then I'd just keep it and game on until its not cutting it for you anymore. I have heard of other users on here complaining about bad drivers for 5 series crossfire and after my personal experience with the 6870s I would recommend against cross firing anything >6950s and also not to do it with out a stronger cpu than anything that can be found on an am3 socket, it is absolutely fine for one card but with 2 it will struggle, mine did...

If you really want crossfire, build a SB rig and crossfire some 6950s or 6970s

bulldozer should be out in a few months and we will see how that fairs with the new am3+ mobo..

getting the 6 core thuban for your current am3 setup will not give you any better of performance and in some cases is worse

then the quad...

Overall I'd recommend a single strong card which the 5870 is, but if its not cutting it then make the jump to a 6970 or gtx 570, its not going to be a huge jump but it will provide you with a little extra muscle and in the case of the 570 much better tessellation processing power, which may or may not be a factor depending on what games you play...

Thanks so much. I think I'll pick up a 6970, switch over to SB and cross fire later. I did a little research and noticed a lot of people have been having crossfire driver issues.
m
l
March 27, 2011 10:41:23 PM

Best answer selected by tool316.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
March 27, 2011 10:54:02 PM

everytime I crack on crossfire 6870 or there requirements (high end cpu) then people write me off as some dumbass that doesnt have a clue what they are doing and someone that does not knwo how to properlu adjust their drivers which I ensure you is not the case, and all day I've been asking for some charts concerning 6900 series cards and minimum fps, problem is its probly not something either company would like to advertise and at least with my 6870 the minimum fps sucked and ruined the expirience overall for me, again if someone has some charts concerning this issue that would be great.

Furthermore, with all the high res displays and triple monitor setups, 3d, etc, that systems are capable of doing nowadays, I feel like those type of setups would lend its hand to more crossfire sli setups (especially the value ones like sli 470 or crossfire 6870) so its a shame when it doesnt perform like its advertised
m
l
!