IBM 240X Bios Password Protected

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2005 10:42:38 AM

I bought a new motherboard to get around it - but it is too hard to
replace.

Anyone know how I can remove the password protection ?

TIA
Jenny
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2005 11:40:00 AM

shame as trying to change the motherboard is impossible - I think you
need a degree in computer electronics to do it

:(
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2005 11:54:25 AM

"JennyAdams1977" <jennyadams1977@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> shame as trying to change the motherboard is impossible - I think
you
> need a degree in computer electronics to do it
>
> :(

There's a company in Canada that will clear the password on Thinkpads
but they charge about $125 if I remember correctly. You have to send
them the laptop.

Also, have you checked around to see if there is a computer repair
shop near you that specializes in laptops? Shop around, you should be
able to find someone who can do the replacement for under $100USD.

Chas.
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2005 1:35:10 PM

probably be cheaper to buy a replacement off ebay

:(
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2005 1:59:45 PM

Usually there is a jumper on the motherboard that will reset the bios to
defaults when removed for 30 seconds or so. I am not sure if this will
reset the bios password as well or not since I never use bios passwords.
but it might be worth a try.

JennyAdams1977 wrote:
> I bought a new motherboard to get around it - but it is too hard to
> replace.
>
> Anyone know how I can remove the password protection ?
>
> TIA
> Jenny

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2005 2:04:10 PM

Actually I just looked at an old thread called 'startup password'
someone else had this problem lookes like it isn't stored in flash
memory sorry.

A7thson wrote:

> Usually there is a jumper on the motherboard that will reset the bios to
> defaults when removed for 30 seconds or so. I am not sure if this will
> reset the bios password as well or not since I never use bios passwords.
> but it might be worth a try.
>
> JennyAdams1977 wrote:
>
>> I bought a new motherboard to get around it - but it is too hard to
>> replace.
>>
>> Anyone know how I can remove the password protection ?
>>
>> TIA
>> Jenny

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2005 4:09:16 PM

"JennyAdams1977" <jennyadams1977@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> I bought a new motherboard to get around it - but it is too hard to
> replace.
>
> Anyone know how I can remove the password protection ?

The password is in a serial eeprom on the board. You have to program
a new one, unsolder the old one, and solder the new one into its place.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 6, 2005 4:19:27 PM

Motherboards for TP 600 series laptops are plentiful on eBay, and it is
not that hard to install. I think 240X are build similar to 600 series
( I happened to have 600, 600e, and 240X). Jenny, if you need help
installing it, shoot me an email.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 7, 2005 2:01:19 AM

Check out http://www.ja.axxs.net/unlock/tp_240x.htm

If you get the manual from the IBM site though as someone else suggested
then you should be able to swap your motherboard with just a bit of
effort though.

Cheers,
Lawrence
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 7, 2005 2:12:50 AM

I CAN'T STAND ALL THE FALSE INFORMATION THAT IS POSTED HERE!!!
1. You can not readily remove a SUPERVISOR PASSWORD on a ThinkPad.
There are a few places that can do it, the cost is more than the value
of that machine.
2. The motherboard on ThinkPads is SIMPLE to replace. The same repair
manuals used by the IBM techs are available at www.ibm.com
Just work your way thru it, should take maybe 35 minutes if this is
your first time.

On 6 Jun 2005 06:42:38 -0700, "JennyAdams1977"
<jennyadams1977@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I bought a new motherboard to get around it - but it is too hard to
>replace.
>
>Anyone know how I can remove the password protection ?
>
>TIA
>Jenny

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 7, 2005 2:12:51 AM

scosgt@worldnet.att.net (Bruce Markowitz) writes:
> 1. You can not readily remove a SUPERVISOR PASSWORD on a ThinkPad.
> There are a few places that can do it, the cost is more than the value
> of that machine.

It involves replacing a 50 cent eeprom. Not everyone has the SMT
soldering skills to do it themselves, but it's not rocket science.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 7, 2005 6:54:03 AM

I down loaded it but it is a very very tricky and complicated task
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 7, 2005 6:46:00 PM

just spent another 2 hours trying to swap motherboards - its harder
than a rubiks cube
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2005 3:22:25 AM

JennyAdams1977 wrote:
> just spent another 2 hours trying to swap motherboards - its harder
> than a rubiks cube

Have you downloaded the Hardware Maintenance Manual for it?

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?...

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2005 7:13:58 AM

yeh, I have thanx

it's impossible even with it

:(
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 8, 2005 8:04:16 PM

your web site is rubbish

can believe you've got a section "Some computers I have owned" ...
like some people are really interested <yaaaawn> - LOL
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 9, 2005 1:52:40 AM

On 8 Jun 2005 03:13:58 -0700, "JennyAdams1977" <jennyadams1977@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>yeh, I have thanx

can you get me a thanx?

>it's impossible even with it
>
>:(

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
a b D Laptop
June 10, 2005 7:04:12 AM

I've managed to get the motherboard out but it doesnt fit properly when
I've swapped it over

I am NOT happy
<grrrrrrr>
!