Help/walkthough with install

Status
Not open for further replies.

swedelander

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
hello, i had recently built a computer using the forums here on tom's hardware and to "shave" a few dollars off the build included a used toshiba 2.5 hdd. that wasn't the best choice as i have had many problems getting windows 7 to install properly, so today on my way home from work i stopped into the local computer shop and picked up a another hdd (Barracuda 7200.12 SATA 3Gb/s 500GB Hard Drive)
http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=c501895c8ccce110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD

my main reason and goal for this post is that i was wanting to install windows 7 correctly this time around and was unsure as to what steps i should take to do it right

windows 7: home premium 64-bit (OEM)
motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 6870

other thoughts: bios recognizes the hdd
boot order is set as follows
#1 Built-in EFI shell
#2 SATA CD/DVD
#3 SATA ST3500413AS (HDD)

*instructions given to me at HDD point of purchase*
1) Connect the Sata power and sata cable before turning on the PC
2) Load up your BIOS to make sure your computer reads it
3) If your computer loads up and it reads the drive, then you're fine. If you don't see the seagate drive available yet, update the drive with Seagate's firmware for this product. Here's the link : [...]
4) After finishing up the firmware update (perhaps will need to restart), Search for Disk management, or under Administrative Tools reading "Create or format hard disk partitions." From there you should see the Seagate 1TB hard drive. Now you should be able to format the hard drive and you're good to go.

Question: will i need to format the hard drive and/or take additional steps?
or since bios reads the drive and boot order is set can i just inset the windows 7 disk at this point (no firmware or format) and let microsoft work its magic?!

Solution
yes insert disk and go go go... the installer will handle the formatting for you

btw the 2.5" drive should make no difference... the computer doesn't know how big the drive is just that it's a drive...

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
yes insert disk and go go go... the installer will handle the formatting for you

btw the 2.5" drive should make no difference... the computer doesn't know how big the drive is just that it's a drive...

Solution

slhpss

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

Thank you, I really appreciate it when someone posts the answer they found... especially if it's a helpful guide. You just answered everyone else in the future who has the same question if they are willing to search for it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.