Sign in with
Your question

No post, no beep. After a few minutes it boots.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 7, 2011 4:24:54 PM

Hello,
I just built my first pc. Most of the time it boots just fine but recently i have encountered no post or beeps during boot (this has happened 3 times, once when waking up from sleep and twice being turned on). Im thinking it may be a bad power supply??? If i turn on the computer and it doesnt post or beep, i let the computer sit and a few minutes later it eventually will post, beep and boot. The computer runs fine once it boots. I was getting a BSOD error but i recently formatted my hard drive and re-installed windows 7. havent had a single BSOD error since. here are my specs:
*Asus m4a79xtd evo motherboard
*AMD phenom 965 3.4 ghz x4 black edition cpu
*500Gb western digital hdd
*BFG 450watt power supply
*Nvidia GeForce 9500GT video card
*8GB gskill sniper ram 1333
*Lite-on cd-dvd drive
*Fan controller
*Card reader
*Wireless card
*Windows 7 Ultimate

Any help is greatly appreciated.

More about : post beep minutes boots

June 8, 2011 12:50:37 AM

I'm confused.

"this has happened 3 times, once when waking up from sleep and twice being turned on"

You wouldn't expect to see a boot screen or hear a beep when the machine is waking up from sleep. So, the problem is that twice (because in the wake-up instance, it shouldn't post/beep anyway) it basically took a while to post? Has this happened again?
m
l
June 8, 2011 1:02:08 AM

sorry i must have left a part out. when the computer was waking up from sleep, the screen never turned on. the only thing i could do was restart it. Upon the next restart is when i encountered the computer not posting. at that time i didnt realize the computer would eventually post if i waited a few minutes.

so yeah the computer has been taking a while to post. sometimes it starts just fine, sometimes it takes a bit.
m
l
Related resources
June 8, 2011 1:10:45 AM

and the other two times were cold starts where the computer had been off over night. thanks
m
l
June 8, 2011 2:25:02 AM

So you power up and see *nothing* for a minute or so? I'm stumped. :) 
m
l
June 8, 2011 2:59:59 AM

yes sir. Im leaning towards a weak power supply tho. ive been doing some reading and have seen that some ppl have had similar problems. they thought that while the screen was black, the power supply was actually charging up until it had enough voltage to boot the computer. idk tho.
m
l
June 8, 2011 3:38:23 AM

How old is this build?

It could possibly be the power supply. If you can't think of anything else, you can buy a good 600W (or so) to confirm. You are going to want a better PSU anyway if you are planning to upgrade your video card.

m
l
June 8, 2011 9:09:10 AM

it was built about a month ago but has only really been used for the past 2 weeks. i think i will upgrade to a better psu, im also thinking about rma'ing the motherboard as most of the ppl with this problem seem to have the same motherboard as me. they rma'ed theirs and it seemed to fix their problems.
m
l
!