Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob94

Honorable
May 11, 2012
Im building my first computer and i attached the motherboard power cable and cpu cable, and it powered on and gave me A6 code. I was trying to power it down and my dad hit the clear cmos button and it came off. I pressed the power button right after and it powered back up. I attached the video card and plugged it into the power supply and when i tried to power on nothing happened. I replugged everything and took out the video card and it still won't power on. I don't know if the clr cmos buttton did something or if the board just died. Please help!

Solution
Clearing the CMOS while the power is on can not damage the power supply, what is more likely is that adding the graphics card overloaded the power supply.

Bob94

Honorable
May 11, 2012

Yeah i wasn't trying to clear it, i was trying to turn off the motherboard after i turned it on to see if it was working and then my dad came and clicked the button -_-. But i powered it back on right away and it turned on. How exactly does it damage the motherboard? And is it possible to take out a cpu and place it in another motherboard or will i have to buy another cpu also?

If you have damaged the motherboard by clearing the CMOS while the power is on then you have damaged the chip set which is not repairable, however all other components such as the CPU will be fine. The symptoms of a motherboard that have been damaged in this way are being unable to turn on the computer or the computer is on all the time but no boot in both cases.
Have you tried taking the video card out and seeing if it powers up? if it does then the motherboard is probably OK and the power supply is suspect, if not the motherboard is probably dead.

Bob94

Honorable
May 11, 2012

I got it to work! Clearing the cmos while the computer was on damaged the power supply instead of the motherboard! Luckily i returned the power supply and got a new one and when i plugged it in it started up. I hooked up the video card and keyboard and on the monitor it went into UEFI setup. It detected all 4 of my ram and cpu so im guessing those aren't damaged. It had a dr debug code but it think that was because i had no hard drive setup. Im getting another power supply that i am waiting to get replaced so when i get that i'll attach everything and see how it goes.

Bob94

Honorable
May 11, 2012

Maybe but the power supply was an 850 watt so it should have had enough power.

Status
Not open for further replies.