cgleckman

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
So I am looking to build another computer, and as i was reading through the forums, getting advice/opinions, etc.

Anyway I noticed that there are alot of people out there who recommend the sandybridge 2500k vs the regular 2500.. To my knowledge (which can easily be wrong), the 2500k only has 1 difference to the regular 2500.. it has a slightly better integrated graphics card. Is this really the only difference?

Also is there really any benefit to the 2500 over the 2500k if you are also buying a graphics card, not relying on the integrated graphics card

Solution
The 2500K has an unlocked multiplier which allows you to overclock it significantly. The sandy bridge chips without the unlocked multiplier have very limited overclocking potential due to there only being a single clock generator for all the buses in the system. Most people who recommend the 2500K over the 2500 do it for the unlocked multiplier rather than the slightly better IGP.
The 2500K has an unlocked multiplier which allows you to overclock it significantly. The sandy bridge chips without the unlocked multiplier have very limited overclocking potential due to there only being a single clock generator for all the buses in the system. Most people who recommend the 2500K over the 2500 do it for the unlocked multiplier rather than the slightly better IGP.

Solution

cgleckman

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009

Thank you thats what I wanted to know