Compatability with MOBO and RAM

mli426

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Hi All,

Totally newbie regarding computers and their setup. I recently decided instead of spending thousands of dollars on a new computer, I would try my hand at building a new computer. I pretty much have most of my parts, however I do have a few questions regarding the MOBO and the RAM I picked up.

I bought this RAM last year (chickened out after buying a few computer parts :na: )

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL (I was going to buy a second one so I could get the 8GBs needed for gaming)

I want to buy either the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 or the ASRock Z77 Extreme6.

I checked the websites for both ASRock and G.SKILL and I wasn't able to locate if the Memory stick is compatable with the new Z77 motherboards.

On the G.SKILL website, they did state that the memory card is "XMP Ready for 3rd Generation Intel Core Processors and Z77 platform" However under the "Qualified Motherboards List" only Z68s and P67s are listed. (This got me confused)

Please help. If the Memory stick is not compatable, what would be a comparable stick? (I want to stick with just 8GBs of RAM)

Thanks

The memory is compatible. It simply hasn't been officially tested with newer motherboards by it's manufacturer, but it should work (almost guaranteed to work). If it somehow doesn't, then the memory manufacturer will help you out by either helping you to get it to work or by replacing it with a kit that has been tested on your motherboard.