need information on copying and backup

Hi

I am looking for the following information:

Can we make copies from gameboy advanced games ? (for backup purpose off course)
Can we buy cartridges to put those games on
Where we can buy such equipment,is theresomeone who know where to get this ?
What do we exactly need and where to get it ?

Any information will be helpfull Thx in advance
9 answers Last reply
More about need information copying backup

    mailbox111 <mailbox111@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Can we make copies from gameboy advanced games ? (for backup purpose
    > off course)

    Legally? No. Nintendo states this explicitly in every manual.

    Technically? Yes, using a Flash Reader.

    > Can we buy cartridges to put those games on

    Legally, you can buy the flash carts... and put your own (or public domain)
    ROMs on there.

    Technically, you can put any ROM on there.

    Check out www.lik-sang.com

    > Any information will be helpfull Thx in advance

    No prob.

    --
    -----------
    Deep Thought

    "DeepThought" <deep.42.thought@gmailEARTH.com> wrote in message
    > mailbox111 <mailbox111@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> Can we make copies from gameboy advanced games ? (for backup purpose
    >> off course)
    >
    > Legally? No. Nintendo states this explicitly in every manual.

    OK stupid question but why would you need a backup of a game that comes on a
    cartridge? With a CD people use the pathetic excuse that they can't control
    their kids/pets and the disc gets scratched and won' work. What excuse do
    people who "backup" cartridge games use?

    BlackKnight wrote:
    > "DeepThought" <deep.42.thought@gmailEARTH.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>mailbox111 <mailbox111@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Can we make copies from gameboy advanced games ? (for backup purpose
    >>>off course)
    >>
    >>Legally? No. Nintendo states this explicitly in every manual.
    >>

    > OK stupid question but why would you need a backup of a game that comes on a
    > cartridge? With a CD people use the pathetic excuse that they can't control
    > their kids/pets and the disc gets scratched and won' work. What excuse do
    > people who "backup" cartridge games use?

    Don't you find yourself constantly dropping your carts into a glass of
    milk? I sure do. :)

    > >>Legally? No. Nintendo states this explicitly in every manual.
    > >
    > > OK stupid question but why would you need a backup of a game that
    > > comes on a
    > > cartridge? With a CD people use the pathetic excuse that they can't
    > > control
    > > their kids/pets and the disc gets scratched and won' work. What excuse
    > > do
    > > people who "backup" cartridge games use?
    >
    > Don't you find yourself constantly dropping your carts into a glass of
    > milk? I sure do. :)

    I think I'm sitting on one.
    --
    //mike tyndall
    C++ programmer and game designer (not professionally)

    Mike Tyndall <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> Don't you find yourself constantly dropping your carts into a glass
    >> of milk? I sure do. :)
    >
    > I think I'm sitting on one.

    Both of those carts would survive... Nintendo's harware is made like tanks.
    In the washing machine, 2nd story drop... name it.

    --
    -----------
    Deep Thought

    DeepThought wrote:
    > Mike Tyndall <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>>Don't you find yourself constantly dropping your carts into a glass
    >>>of milk? I sure do. :)
    >>
    >>I think I'm sitting on one.
    >

    > Both of those carts would survive... Nintendo's harware is made like tanks.
    > In the washing machine, 2nd story drop... name it.

    I just (accidentally) hit my cart with a hammer, twice. So I need a
    backup....wait, damn, it *still* works!
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > Mike Tyndall <Mike_Tyndall_1@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>> Don't you find yourself constantly dropping your carts into a glass
    >>> of milk? I sure do. :)
    >>
    >> I think I'm sitting on one.
    >
    > Both of those carts would survive... Nintendo's harware is made like
    > tanks.
    > In the washing machine, 2nd story drop... name it.

    No excuse for backups then, obviously piracy is the only reason people copy
    GBA carts.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "BlackKnight" <terry_37@NO_SPAMemail.com> wrote in message news:<cj7hm8$

    > OK stupid question but why would you need a backup of a game that comes on a
    > cartridge? With a CD people use the pathetic excuse that they can't control
    > their kids/pets and the disc gets scratched and won' work. What excuse do
    > people who "backup" cartridge games use?

    For me, I do buy the games, but I keep them sealed in package. I
    can then use my linker and get the rom, then when I'm done with it,
    sell the original game and I get most of my money back for it since
    its "mint sealed in package", and sometimes even ended up getting more
    than what I paid for it :) That's what I've done with more than
    several games like Tactics Ogre, Shining Force, Fire Emblem and
    others. I don't even like the idea that people would steal games like
    Tactics Ogre, since if we don't support games like this by buying
    them, we won't get them released here anymore; the market is small
    for some specific games as is, piracy would hurt these games moreso
    than say Metroid, which would be coming out regardless, but even with
    Metroid I had bought it new for 19.99 and sold it for about the same
    price when I was done with it (about 3 weeks later) on Ebay. It's a
    funny take on things I know, but it seems to work well, and on rarer
    games, you end up ahead. Developers are getting their money, I'm
    getting the game and getting to play it, and the buyer that I sell the
    game to is getting the original copy of the game and in nice
    condition. Sometimes I lose a few dollars on it, but if I sell fairly
    quickly, you get most of it back. And yes, I did rewrite over all the
    games so I didn't save any of them. I know probably Nintendo thinks
    this is illegal in some way, but from what I can see, everyone got
    their fair share.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "DeepThought" <deep.42.thought@gmailEARTH.com> writes:
    > mailbox111 <mailbox111@gmail.com> wrote:
    > > [ Can I pirate^H^H backup my games? ]
    > Legally? No. Nintendo states this explicitly in every manual.

    Nintendo also claims, in every manual, that it is illegal to rent,
    trade or sell used games.

    Fortunately, Nintendo saying that doesn't make it so.

    N.B.: I'm not claming piracy is legal or a good idea. I am saying that
    a Nintendo manual is not a good place to look for reliable legal
    advice.

    For US residents, section 117 of the Copyright Act is a good place to
    look for starters. Dumbed-down version:
    http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-digital.html

    Short answer: Backups that really are backups (i.e. you still have
    the original) are okay as far as the Copyright Act itself goes. But,
    there may be other legal reasons why you can't (like if you've
    entered into a contract saying you agree not to).

    Nintendo likes to pretend that when you buy/use a game, you are
    automatically entering in to such a contract. IANAL, but unless you
    actually signed something, thats 1) wishful thinking on Nintendo's
    part, 2) pure fiction and 3) especially silly if you can't enter
    into a contract in the first place (e.g. because you're a minor).

    In practical terms, if you are really backing up and not pirating,
    then a) nobody else will know and b) nobody will care if they happen
    to find out. The people getting busted are the ones selling copies or
    posting them on the 'net in public or semi-public ways.

    However, if you manage to get dragged into court, you _will_ lose.
    Right or wrong, doesn't matter. Law on your side or not, doesn't
    matter. Jury decision, if you get that far, doesn't matter. You'll run
    out of money to defend yourself long before Nintendo runs out of money
    to keep suing you. (Fortunately, they don't appear to be in habit of
    doing that.)

Console Gaming Games Gameboy Backup Video Games