Will my PSU support an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joerassic

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I was planning on purchasing a GeForce GTX 260 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130433) because I am bored with my GeForce 9800 GT. Right now my system is equipped with an Ultra LS 600 PSU (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3255393&CatId=1483). I found someone on Craigslist who is selling the GTX 260 for 65 dollars and I jumped on it.

My question to the community is, will my PSU be able to feed the GTX 260 or will I need to invest in a better power supply?

My system specifications are as follows:

Motherboard - BIOSTAR 880G+ (does not have 2 PCI-e x16 slots so I do not plan on SLI)
Processor - AMD Athlon II X2 260 Regor
RAM - 4GB of G.Skill DDR3 PC3-10700
Display - 20" 1440 x 900

I'd appreciate some advice on this matter. Also, if anyone sees a potential conflict between hardware, let me know.

I recently upgraded my Gateway GT5654 with the aforementioned motherboard, CPU and RAM while maintaining the original casing.

If the GTX 260 is not suitable for my system, which GPU would the community recommend? I want something more up to date than a 9800 GT (even though is does a pretty good job of running games like BioShock 2, NFS:HP and Modern Warfare 2. I don't plan on getting a display bigger than 24" so I don't need anything outrageous.

Solution

You misunderstand what the GTX 260 card power needs are. The 36 amps is the TOTAL system power, not the card power. 36 amps times 12...

Joerassic

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I am not worried about watts. I was reading reviews and they all said the GTX 260 requires 36 amps. On the box for my PSU it says 32A under 12v+. My PSU has only one 12v+ rail in it. So I guess I am asking, does my PSU have enough amps for the GTX 260?

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 260 graphics card NVIDIA recommends a power supply with a +12 Volt continuous current rating of 36 Amps or greater and with at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Your Ultra LS series 600W (ULT-LS600) power supply unit has a +12 Volt continuous current rating of 32 Amps and has only one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

So the Ultra LS series 600W (ULT-LS600) power supply unit is insufficient to safely power a system using a single GeForce GTX 260. If you're willing to risk it you can try it and see if it works.

Joerassic

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

I thought so. Do you have GPU in mind that you'd recommend? I really don't want to spend money on a new PSU AND a GPU, as my current PSU was purchased not even a year and a half ago.

What is your budget?

Do you have a preference for NVIDIA GPU based cards?

Joerassic

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

The most I am willing to pay right now is around $120.00. I don't mind ATI GPUs. I just want a GPU that is much better and more up to date than my 9800 GT. All the cards I've owned at this point have been NVIDIA but like I said, I am open to ATI as well. My processor is AMD so maybe an ATI could would be a better choice.

Joerassic

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Also, I am not too familiar with the wu ATI names their GPUs so I would have a hard time finding the right one for myself. I am fimiliar with NVIDIA's clusterf**k way of naming their cards, so it is a tad easier for me to research and choose and NVIDIA card.

beenthere

Distinguished

You misunderstand what the GTX 260 card power needs are. The 36 amps is the TOTAL system power, not the card power. 36 amps times 12 volts would be a PSU of 432W. In reality the entire power is not all 12v so a realistic PSU might be 550W.

The GTX card actually uses a maximum of 236W = ~20 amps @ 12 volts. So the OP's 600W PSU should be fine for one GTX 260 Vid card.

See the GTX power consumption data at the link below. They recommend a 500W PSU with 38 amps on the 12v rail as a minimum.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-260-review/4

You can always just enter you PC hardware in the calculator at the link below to determine the PSU power required.

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

Solution

Joerassic

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009

Are you completely sure of this? Because 65 dollars for a GTX 260 is a steal and I'd love to jump on it.

Yes. No problem. The memory on the GPU is independent of the system memory, they don't have to be the same.

beenthere

Distinguished
Joerassic-

I checked your PSU rating and it's rated at 32 amps. on the 12V rail which is a little lower than most current 600W PSUs. You should be OK but you will be near the 12v limit under max load so keep that in mind. Down the road you'll likely want a better PSU if you are going to do serious OC'ing.

Joerassic

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
I don't think I will be doing much overclocking at this point. Thanks for letting me know though. I appreciate any advice I can get. I just hope the GTX will fit in my Gateway GT5654 tower. I'm pretty sure it will though. Do GPU fans blow ON or AWAY from the GPU?

You're the one that can't read.

Nowhere in my post did I state that the graphics card draws 36 Amps.

You don't even have proof that the Ultra LS series 600W (ULT-LS600) is able to deliver its labeled 32 Amps on its +12 Volt rail.

Why would I trust a power supply calculator when I can use what I learned when I took Electrical Engineering in university?

A power supply calculator that doesn't specify the +12 Volt continuous current rating required is useless.

beenthere

Distinguished
The information I posted is correct. Your PSU shows 32 amps. available on the 12 V rail. You only need 20 amps. to run the Vid card at Max load. You'll be fine. I also studied electrical engineering and know how to calculate the power needed as I demonstrated above. The PSU calculator was for the benefit of those who don't have the technical training to properly calculate the needed PSU power.

If you look at the GTX 260 card review that I posted, the total system draw was 302 watts. They recommended a 500W PSU. If the entire PC was powered off the 12v rail - which it's not, you'd still be fine as 302W is only 25 amps.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-260-review/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS