Power supply connection help.

aquilla

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I'm upgrading my power supply from 350w to a corsair TX650W. My system has an i7 2600 processor. The motherboard has an 8 pin CPU connector but the original 350w power supply only had a single 4 pin plug. The corsair comes with 2, 4 pin plugs bundled together. Do I only use one of the 4 pin plugs or should I plug both of the 4 pin plugs into the motherboard? Can I use both without damaging the system?

Any help is appreciated.

aquilla

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks for the quick reply. Just to be clear. I understand that the 2 4-pin connectors make up the 8 pin plug. However, since the original power supply only had 1 4-pin plug going into the 8 pin connector I want to be sure that useing both 4-pin connectors will not harm the system in any way.

It cannot cause a problem, the additional 4 wires are 2 more +12V and 2 more grounds. The 2 extra 12V just get joined to the 12V lines from the first four pins once its connected to the motherboard.

The point of the extra 4 wires is to decrease the current flowing through each pin of the connector which is the highest resistance point in the circuit and most likely to overheat with too much current, the extra 4 wires does NOT force extra power into the system.