Sign in with
Your question

Failed Memtest 86 - twice

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
May 22, 2012 12:06:25 AM

I've had the following HTPC for the last year and a half or so. Over the past few weeks, we've started getting random crashes, BSOD, etc. I ran Memtest86 and it failed completely. So, I just ordered 2 new RAM sticks, same specs and brand. I installed them today, booted it up, and ran Memtest again. Again it failed, 100%. Is there something I'm missing? What else could be wrong? Please let me know if you need any other specs or have any other suggestions.

ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1GHz Socket AM3 95W Triple-Core Desktop Processor

Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-10600CL8D-4GBHK

SilverStone Aluminum/Steel Micro ATX HTPC Computer Case GD05B

More about : failed memtest

May 22, 2012 1:22:45 AM

Two things to remember...the IMC...Integrated Memory Controller...resides "on die" meaning on the cpu itself...also the ram buses or circuits..ie slots and traces could have failed as well...try using one socket and one stick of ram...try all sticks..one at a time AND try all ram slots with both sticks to see if a socket OR a stick of ram has failed!!!
Since you replaced the ram...you could've gotten a bad stick in the new kit...but odds are it's either a ram slot OR the cpu IMC has failed...only way to tell is to test each ram slot and each stick of ram ALONE!!!

Good luck and post back with what you found!!
m
l
Related resources
May 24, 2012 7:58:38 PM

tekman42 said:
Two things to remember...the IMC...Integrated Memory Controller...resides "on die" meaning on the cpu itself...also the ram buses or circuits..ie slots and traces could have failed as well...try using one socket and one stick of ram...try all sticks..one at a time AND try all ram slots with both sticks to see if a socket OR a stick of ram has failed!!!
Since you replaced the ram...you could've gotten a bad stick in the new kit...but odds are it's either a ram slot OR the cpu IMC has failed...only way to tell is to test each ram slot and each stick of ram ALONE!!!

Good luck and post back with what you found!!

I removed one of the RAM sticks and ran memtest - and it passed!
I moved that same stick to one of the other 2 main memory slots - and it also passed.
I then tried the other stick in both slots, individually - and it passed both times.
I then ran both sticks in both slots again, twice - and it passed.

The only errors I got after that said something about driver problems. I decided to do a clean reinstall of Windows, and the ONE program I use on it -the MMO SW:TOR), and it worked great - well it only crashed maybe twice in those two days, and it appeared to be trying to update Win 7SP1, so I wasn't terribly surprised.

Now, it's crashing all the time again.
Is it the game?
Is it one of the Windows updates since SP1?
Is it something in the IMC or BIOS?
m
l
a c 90 } Memory
May 25, 2012 2:08:09 AM

bios 0603 was the shipping bios with the mb they had 18 updates there up to bios 2104. as i posted read the bios info there a lot or ram and mb stability patches that were done.
m
l
May 29, 2012 4:26:54 PM

So I tried updating the BIOS, and it worked fine for a few days. I downloaded LoTRO and played it for several days, everything was fine. No crashes, no problems, ran Memtest for several hours, no errors.

I tried playing SWTOR today. It had trouble loading, but finally started. After about 5 minutes, it crashed. Completely. Now, the computer won't even boot up - I get either a black screen, or at best the MOBO splash screen (which will not respond to any commands). Any help would be appreciated!
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
May 29, 2012 5:22:39 PM

Try Clear CMOS, unplug the PSU for 5 minutes then using the 'Jumper' method watch -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdHH9KrceR0

IF that fails then use (1) stick and swap sticks if necessary - CPU: | blank | blank | RAM | blank | ; normally the RAM should be installed (2) sticks - CPU: | blank | blank | RAM | RAM |
m
l
!