MicroATX Case Help

AbdullahG

Distinguished
I plan on getting my hands on a Silverstone TJ08-E MicroATX Mini Tower when it's in stock (might just buy from a different website):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163182&Tpk=tj08-e

My only concern is ventilation. I might run SLI in this case and maybe a bit of OCing (I doubt I will OC anytime soon though). I'm wondering whether this case won't heat up things. Price doesn't concern me since I need a good mini tower. If anyone finds an alternate case for me(no Fractal Design cases; the only two Fractal Design cases I bought case damaged), I would be very grateful (I like simply cases by the way).

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
If you are running SLI you wont have much room to run anything in a mini atx case/mobo, nvidia's gpu's are very large, where a lot of amd's run the discreet size cards for smaller cases/mobos. Also, running a GTX500s may have trouble fitting in a micro case, and more practically the mobo. A mid case would be better, or plan to run CFX instead. There are some mid-6000s cards that support CFX and also run "discreet" for micro cases. as far as air-flow, you could fit a Zalman 92mm cooler in there on a cpu...the thing is huge. also, if you are a little handy, you could create a way for watercooling to enter the system, which would be in essence your best bet since micro cases dont due much for fan support in the chassis itself. Let us know what graphics cards you were looking at, it may help us help you.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
sorry, low-profile cards, not discreet. and they dont make CFX capable cards in low profile. so im not sure if you really will be able to fit 2 6450 ( i believe is the lowest card that offers CFX ). Depends on MoBo and inside spaceousness of the case.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
I plan on getting an EVGA P67 SLI Micro or ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z. I've been on another forum and it had a thread about the case. It actually can fit 2 long cards (the cards were 11.5" and took up 2-slots). They said ventilation wasn't much of an issue. In fact, they said the kept things cool. I might consider a mid-tower instead though.

casualbuilder

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
if the case can handle that, thats impressive! I had a large micro-atx case, and i dont think it could handle 2 cards that size, but my mobo was also a bit smaller comparitively. As long as the case can handle the cards, its a solid case. I would look into customizing small "optional" holes in the case for a water cooling system, preferably the H80 or the H100 (really any tested company, with attachments for NB, GPU upgraded cooling for SLI) from corsair or something of similar value. this will make sure you can get the max out of your cpu, without depending on air flow.

Wish I Was Wealthy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

Hi AbdullahG :) . You may as well just experiment and see how you go with your planed setup and if it works,than you know your own limitations of your own specifications ;) .

AbdullahG

Distinguished
If (or when) I get the case, I'll see any issues I might have with SLI. If I do, I'm sure one high-end card will still work great. If I have any issues with temps, my one option would be to get high-end case fans.

AbdullahG

Distinguished

You can use a a CPU cooler like an H50 and fit it on the rear 120mm case fan. You can't really fit an H100 inside the case (though I've seen a modded case where you can).