Do I NEED to connect both the 20 pin AND 4 pin power to my mobo?

discombobulate

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Hello,

Question is as in title. I have a motherboard with connections to both and my power supply does not have a pin connector... so I'm wondering if that 4 pin is merely supplemental or is necessary?

Power Supply - CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Mobo - Intel BOXDZ68DB LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

tekman42

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
YEP you sure do...you have a 24 pin motherboard POWER connector middle right side looking at the board...AND...you have a 4 pin supplemental power connector for the cpu top left of your motherboard.

Both have to be connected... Your power supply HAS a 24 pin connector for mobo power AND a 4 pin connector for supplemental power to the cpu....the pictures here

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028&Tpk=corsair%20cx600.

Features
Connectors1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
1 x 4+4 Pin ATX 12V THIS IS YOUR 4 PIN connector!!!!!
1 x EPS 12V
2 x PCI-E
6 x SATA
4 x Peripheral
1 x Floppy

Connect both to your motherboard to ensure proper voltage to the motherboard AND correct voltage for the "turbo mode" of the cpu...automatic speed increase by engineers design for performance enhancement automatically.

The four pin power connector (or eight pin for some higher end systems) supplies power to the CPU. Without it, your computer can't do anything. The 20/24 pin connecter supplies power to the motherboard and devices connected to it. It is also necessary and without it, your computer can't do anything.

For example, the power supplied through the PCIe, USB, to the memory, chipset, and to other ports, slots, and hardware integrated into the motherboard comes through the 20/24 pin connector. Both connectors are necessary for the computer to function.

TRENDING THREADS